small wood stoves for "hunter's tents"

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
ConnieD

Re: small wood stoves for "hunter's tents"

Postby ConnieD » Sat May 22, 2010 8:14 pm

I was looking at YouTube.

This Kifaru Medium Stove warped on top:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8_Rw7F3w0U&NR=1
I looked at kifarutube's Hunting Camp series. I see his Medium Stove top warped.
The fact is, my Wilderness wood stove top warped when I made the fire inside too big, but there was no harm to the function of the stove.

I still think you made the most beautiful wood stove!
Let's have a report, when you have a report, about how it performs and how it holds up.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat May 22, 2010 10:14 pm

i looked at three of his vids on that stove. i also saw that the side(s) had warped quite badly. i also noted that the front had warped badly enough so that the door would not fall fully open on it's own. i'd be very interested to learn what gauge s/s Kifaru uses.

i was concerned with warpage when i designed my stove, so i used 20 gauge for the sides, and 18 gauge for the top and bottom and the door.. on the sides i attached angles at the top and bottom to help with stiffness. i was not concerned with weight as the stove is to be set up and never moved again.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 23, 2010 2:05 am

I watched his Hunting Camp videos in four parts, in which he shows the size wood to use, laying in a fire, using his stove for rapidly getting hot water or having a slow burn for drying clothing (he has a clothesline built in his tipi where the tipi liner would attach, which is a nice feature).

I am used to wood stoves built for efficiency. His stove is not built for efficiency: it takes many small and medium size dead branches to function properly: hot or slow burn.

He had a huge pile of wood, small pieces, but a huge amount of wood for a short time, in my experience. It is a good thing to pick up that litter, and use it. However, I would rather tend an open fire than feed a wood stove often: I would enjoy it more. That's just me.

There is no damper: https://www.kifaru.net/tipifaqs.html

From the MessageBoard: These things are designed for full-tilt usage. In any event, the medium stove in a 4 man tipi will raise the inside temperature of the tipi at least 100 degrees.

In the Hunting Camp videos he said: consider it an enclosed fire. I do not like not like putting the fire directly on the bottom of the wood stove. I like some ash, or even some sand, but I most prefer expanded metal and some ash built up but not too much.

I think I like his spark-arrester design at the collar of the wood stove. It provides for a tilt in the stove pipe.

Altogether, with what you said, as well, I am turning my attention to the other portable wood stoves features and details.

But ask him, what guage steel is it? He has contact information at his website.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun May 23, 2010 10:52 am

i sent Patrick Smith an email asking about material thickness. we'll see if he wants to divulge. ;)

ConnieD wrote:However, I would rather tend an open fire than feed a wood stove often: I would enjoy it more. That's just me.

well then; don't you think a nice back-up would be a beautiful free-stone fireplace? i've always wished that we had built one when we built the cabin.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 23, 2010 11:55 am

In college we had to design a $10,000 home, which got more difficult over the years. I have designed three.

I think I said, in this forum, I want to build a small home: 24 x 32' and decks on my acreage. I do have the structural material. I have priced out the Bill of Materials from this point on at less than $10,000 with buying direct. The Midnight Sun heater stove is enough only it is propane. The heaters in my "hunter's trailer" could be pressed into service. I have two propane, one portable and one built-in thru-wall "Everest" I haven't had need to use. I have the Wilderness wood stove that could be brought inside.

For leaving everything else where it is, I do like a small wood stove that is efficient and effective for that volume structure with windows I plan for, marked down in price to "only $998". It has probably already been purchased by someone else. As for a traditional open fireplace, I think they are wasteful. They take up too much interior space and only the recirculating "heatilator" fireplaces heat the entire structure interior. I like the fireplaces with heat-treated glass on three sides. I even like this propane and this ethanol fireplace.

The Space

Vertigo

Frankly, I have seen wood bins, filled outdoors and pass thru the wall to use the wood inside, but I regard that as bad-design, as entry into your house for dirt and everything that lives in a woodpile. The only interior wood stoves I admire is that one I saw in Payson, AZ and some Jotyl wood stoves and the circular or square open fireplace with a hood above it. In those instances, there is still the mess and odor.

Frankly, the fire is not the center of my home.

I would like a fireplace exterior to the small house, a circular fire pan outside.

I do like the huge clay interior fireplaces that have a tiny fire, an oven, and a huge radiating mass, and a bench seat. Those can be so beautiful, efficient and radiate a gentle warmth: a Kachelofen masonry heater. The most plain rounded edges adobe finished one from BioFire was $6,000 when I priced one, many years ago. I like rounded masonry edges on these. Those can be huge.

I do like EarthStone Ovens for a small home: you might consider, as a hearth and as a fire-brick oven.

I also like a sauna placed partially under the house, heating the entire small home.

Now, as a heart patient, I can't use a sauna. Too hot. No good.

I just don't want anything more than a wall-mounted Dickinson Marine Newport wood stove in stainless steel, made for a sailboat, for this small home I would add in the bedroom and possibly and EarthStone Oven in the kitchen which is central to my home.

In the short-term, a portable wood stove could do dual service. I am building on a pay-as-you-go basis and I don't have the income I had.

The place for the large open pavilion-style house and decks and windows and both interior and exterior fireplace is the house site at the East end of the property.
Last edited by ConnieD on Mon May 24, 2010 1:34 am, edited 8 times in total.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun May 23, 2010 12:10 pm

ConnieD wrote:I do like EarthStone Ovens for a small home: you might consider, as a hearth and as a fire-brick oven.

oh man! some of those absolutely beautiful!!
i especially liked the counter-top one. (i tried to save the pic, but it wouldn't work.)

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 23, 2010 12:34 pm

I agree totally! Which one?

A contractor for beautiful homes in Contra Costa County, CA once asked me to design kitchens and bathrooms for his business, interviewing the buyers and working it out with them. I love this stuff!

Hey! I could save pictures off their website. Right-click, Save Image as. Load up to Photobucket or Image Shack. Put link in Img.

Here's one, courtesy Photobucket as a clickable thumbnail:

Now, that I think of it, I will post the other wood stoves this way. Zelph told me in a PM how to do it.

It is easier to talk about what we can see.
Last edited by ConnieD on Sun May 23, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun May 23, 2010 1:04 pm

the one i like is pic 52 of 55. still won't save.

you mentioned the Dickenson boat heater.
a while ago i picked up a propane Force Ten boat heater for 50 bucks. i'm going to intsall it in my workshop in the opposite corner from the woodstove.
when i had my sailboat it had a kerosene Force Ten. damn, i hated that thing! it looked nice, but it was fussy to operate and stank to high heaven. every couple hours i'd have to go outside and pump up the pressure tank. i took to useing the propane oven for cabin heat.

(sure is quiet on the board this weekend! it's like the "Connie and Daren Show" :lol: )

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Link? In their Gallery I see 66 pictures and 25 pictures per page.

Dickinson has a wood stove: I like the older models. $50 is a price I like.

Zelph is going to be surprised. I had better get those portable wood stove pictures up.

I think he will think we wandered more than a little off-topic. Maybe not. This is a wood stove discussion.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun May 23, 2010 1:44 pm

there's 55 pics on this page.

http://www.earthstoneovens.com/gallery_ ... tial.shtml

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”