Carbide Lamp

Have you found a cool item at a retail outlet that's in everyone's backyard? Well let's hear about it.
DarenN

Carbide Lamp

Postby DarenN » Thu May 29, 2008 9:14 pm

a fellow at work wanted to see my Svea 123R when he heard about it. i showed it to him, in the morning. in the afternoon he came back to the shop and gave me this small carbide lamp.

Oops prolly has a dozen of them. :lol:

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Roy

Re: Carbide Lamp

Postby Roy » Thu May 29, 2008 9:44 pm

I used to have one of those back in the old country. Got lost in the move. Never could get it work properly.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu May 29, 2008 9:51 pm

mine's burning nicely right now. nice stable flame. decent light.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 29, 2008 10:29 pm

a fellow at work wanted to see my Svea 123R when he heard about it. i showed it to him, in the morning. in the afternoon he came back to the shop and gave me this small carbide lamp.

Oops prolly has a dozen of them.

Very nice gift Daren. Says alot about you that your fellow worker would give you such a fine specimen, knowing that you would appreciate it more than him. It looks almost new. Congrats Daren on a nice addition to your collection. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:43 pm

DarenN wrote:a fellow at work wanted to see my Svea 123R when he heard about it. i showed it to him, in the morning. in the afternoon he came back to the shop and gave me this small carbide lamp.

Daren.......

No just one :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu May 29, 2008 11:11 pm

oops56 wrote:
DarenN wrote:a fellow at work wanted to see my Svea 123R when he heard about it. i showed it to him, in the morning. in the afternoon he came back to the shop and gave me this small carbide lamp.

Daren.......

No just one :lol: :lol:

seeing as Zelph is giving them away this week, i'll trade you mine for a Borde Bomb. unfortunately, i don't have any cats, dogs or first-borns to add to the pot. :lol: you can have my ex-wife if you can find her. ;)

Daren........

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 30, 2008 7:56 pm

seeing as Zelph is giving them away this week, i'll trade you mine for a Borde Bomb. unfortunately, i don't have any cats, dogs or first-borns to add to the pot. you can have my ex-wife if you can find her.

Daren........

Makin me split a gut :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy, where is the old country? I saw one of those lamps go for thousands of dollars on ebay. It was stainless steel or silver plated some kind of rare one indeed. Maybe the one you brought over is arare one :o

Daren, there has to be a way to make a stove out of it!!!!! :mrgreen:

10 years ago I had the base of a commercial carbide lamp that was 2 feet hig and it's base was 18 inches in dia. Hade 2 handles on it sides to carry it. Was used by a construction company for remote lighting.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

MT_Vert_Caver

Postby MT_Vert_Caver » Fri May 30, 2008 10:27 pm

Here's a site with some info on carbide lamps.
http://www.caves.org/member/mfraley/

There are still quite a few cavers that use carbide lamps. However, difficulty in finding carbide and the introduction of the LED headlamp have reduced their number considerably.

Had that lamp ever been used before??? :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 30, 2008 11:12 pm

MT_Vert_Caver wrote:Here's a site with some info on carbide lamps.
http://www.caves.org/member/mfraley/

There are still quite a few cavers that use carbide lamps. However, difficulty in finding carbide and the introduction of the LED headlamp have reduced their number considerably.

Had that lamp ever been used before??? :)

Great site you linked to. I found the name of the lamp that sells for big bucks, it's called the "Black Diamond" rated a number 10 on a list of 10 being the most rare/collectable.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri May 30, 2008 11:59 pm

MT_Vert_Caver wrote:Had that lamp ever been used before??? :)

nope! ;) new in box.

the fellow that i got it from is a competition handgun shooter. i'm told that the shooters use carbide burners to blacken the sights on their pistols. most of them use a burner that still burns carbide but is designed for their use, and has no reflecter.

Daren.....

Return to “Dime Store Diamonds”