Swiss Army Knives

Have you found a cool item at a retail outlet that's in everyone's backyard? Well let's hear about it.
Blazinator

Re: Swiss Army Knives

Postby Blazinator » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Nobody has come close to answering my entire post yet haha...

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:18 pm

Nobody has come close to answering my entire post yet haha...

Thought I did..I wouldn't carry one too ornate myself because too many tools make them pretty worthless in my book.I like the one I showed and why..I really don't want more tools on that,seems like just the right amount to keep it from getting too bulky and still keeping it very useful without dragging out a lot of other tools.
That other small item has pliers,two screwdrivers(one small straight and one small phillips)..that i use very little so they can stay in the pack.

maybe..the tweezers are handy and small,but I can usually use a knife blade to dig out slivers..so is it necessary?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:49 pm

Well yeah, you did. These other slackers though.... :roll: :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:20 pm

I generally hang a knife off my shoulder strap about the height of the sternum strap on a carabiner along with a firestarter rod and other stuff..hang it through the gear strap to stop things rattling around(or leave it out and use it for bearbells.. :mrgreen: ).I like the knife to be a decent length but not heavy.Here's a couple examples on packs:

First has a magnesium bar(usually use wetfire though..magnesium is a new addition I haven't tried yet),firerod,knife,and small alcohol stove.
Second has magnesium bar,firerod,lightweight knife,and pepper spray for mountain goats,critters, and morons.Like I said,the straps have3/4" nylon with 2" long holes and things tuck across those..and things are easy to access when needed.I rarely need a screwdriver,pliers,tweezers,scissors,and other things.Overnight trips get a p38 opener if the knife doesn't have one.I hate looking for stuff when it's needed.
The blue carabiner is a timer(how long on the trail point to point),clock(+day,date),temperature,and countdown timer..turn the ring around the dial for different modes.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:39 pm

That's awesome.....what kind of stove is that?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:47 pm

See if there is a thread as far as "energizer stove"(Edit:I looked,can't find it)..I think it was posted here a long time ago..It may have been Zelph's idea(something like a starlyte) and something I found and made a stove out of..don't remember the history.
I think Zelph was going to market something similar..don't know if he did or not.It'll burn about 8 minutes..not quite boiling water but is a good coffee maker on a day pack,warming hands,..or emergency stove.

I can't find the thread..maybe Zelph can.At one time it had a screw-on lid over the top hole..overheated and melted the solder,dropped the top..lighter now anyway,just can't store fuel in it.

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:06 am

That....is amazing. And I want one...lol.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:53 am

Pm sent...

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:03 pm

I think it was the Stocking Stuffer stove. I gave up on that one and put it on the back burner. I'll see if I can find the link. We may have talked about in a PM or in the Committee. It was heavy for it's size, made of brass,nickle plated.

Found the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3628&p=25052&hilit=stocking+stuffer#p25052
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:07 pm

I knew i had a Victornox somewhere :oops: with a bunch of gadgets. I liked this one for the magnifying lens :lol:

I usually take just a Leatherman Micra when on a hike as the Victornox is way too heavy when it comes time to start paring down the necessities and luxuries. ;) My luxuries tend to have something to do with food :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Dime Store Diamonds”