gelled alcohol fire starter

Have you found a cool item at a retail outlet that's in everyone's backyard? Well let's hear about it.
irrationalsolutions

gelled alcohol fire starter

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:54 pm

ok oops posted about this stuff a while back and said he found it at walmart. well i was there tonight to get something else and was walking around and saw the stuff. it has a red clearence tag and is a buck a bottle now! so i bought two of them. if youre interested in this stuff you might want to check it out.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Re: gelled alcohol fire starter

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Is it in the sporting goods dept.?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:12 pm

i have no idea where it is in the store. in the store here they had a small clearence section on an end cap in the hardware dept and thats where it was at. they had 4 bottle but i only got two. im going to go by there tomorrow and if the other two are still there im going to get them too. i thouhg i would be nice and give someone else a chance but if there are still there after a couple days, it fair game!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:18 pm

How do you use that stuff?Is it in a squeeze bottle?
I've got a few cans of gelled stuff..more of a chafing fuel..like a sterno can.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:29 pm

yes its in a squeeze bottle with a flip out top lid. its just the gelled alcohol and you put some on your woods for a fire and it kinda acts as your tender. its cool stuff to play with but basically the same as perell but cheaper right now. i keep a small bottle of the cheap hand san. stuff for the same thing in my fire kit. i figured i could just use these big bottles to refil the little one. i do keep a small bottle of the better hand cleaner seperate for it real intended purpose though.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:34 pm

I've got a bunch of the smaller 1-4 oz bottles of hand sanitizer(wanted the bottles for "packing heet" :mrgreen: ..guess I'll have to burn some to see how well it works.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:33 am

realityguy wrote:I've got a bunch of the smaller 1-4 oz bottles of hand sanitizer(wanted the bottles for "packing heet" :mrgreen: ..guess I'll have to burn some to see how well it works.

I found out not to good take some out mix some more alcohol to it in bottle works better
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:35 am

I can clean my hands with some,say a third of a bottle,then add the alcohol(heet) and use it for that purpose or empty the entire thing as a hand sanitizer and refill with heet.Dollar Tree carries the hand sanitizer in 1,2,and 4oz small bottles(i think,4bottles,2bottles,and 1 bottle)each pack for a buck and they have the pop-tops..perfect for premeasured loads of fuel in smaller bottles.You'd probably pay the same amount for empty bottles at a pharmacy or more.It's easy to take a sharpie and mark separate ozs or half bottles on the outside..besides the word HEET.The 1oz,2oz are tiny,flat,uniform size top to bottom(easy to calculate lines on them),and easy to pack inside a stove kit for day hikes,4oz for longer hikes..The bottles are shorter than most and fit nicely around stoves because they are slightly convex on one side,concave on the other.Using a small stove inside a 4-5" pot allows a person to put the stove in the center and line the outside edges with the small bottles inside the cook pot,depending on the diameter of the stove of course.
I find the 2oz to be a nice size for day hikes at 3-1/2" high by 1" deepx2" wide,can fit in a shirt or coat pocket,or anywhere else..including about any pot I plan to use along with everything else.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:51 pm

nobody wanted the other two bottles so i went ahead and bought them to give them a good home. so i now have 4 16oz bottles for 4bucks total! i can live with that. :DB:

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:15 am

oops56 wrote:I found out not to good take some out mix some more alcohol to it in bottle works better

Funny. I forget the brand now, but the "hand Sanitizer" gel I tried worked just fine as it was. Seems like it was "only" 62% alcohol as well. But I was using it as a fire starter, not stove fuel.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Return to “Dime Store Diamonds”