Pet folding trail feeding bowls ...for people?

Have you found a cool item at a retail outlet that's in everyone's backyard? Well let's hear about it.
realityguy

Re: Pet folding trail feeding bowls ...for people?

Postby realityguy » Thu May 14, 2009 12:29 am

The bottom of the page shows a closeup of one folded also..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 14, 2009 6:35 am

Nice find RG, i wonder about their integrety with boiling hot food ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 14, 2009 11:58 am

RR..I emailed the pet website that advertised about using these for snack trays for humans and asked them about if that was their advertising or the manufacturer as far as "food grade" plastic.I'm waiting for a reply back.On the other hand,I'm going to run back and pick up those three I saw(if they are still there) and test them as far as the "hot" food factor to see how they hold up..I was wondering that myself.
At one time we had a Petco(now replaced by Trader Joe's) about 1 mile away but Petsmart opened up nearby and put them out of business really quick.The nearest one is now about 15 miles away.
That thrift store opens in a few minutes..I've got about a hal day of TS shopping to do this morning,meet a friend about next week at the vacation home,then back this afternoon..hopefully with those pet bowls... :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 14, 2009 3:07 pm

really nice find. I'll stop at petco and get some for the cats ouside water holes. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 14, 2009 6:04 pm

I did pick up the three from the thrift store for a whopping $2 :DB: ...Anyway,the weight of the things is 11 grams each..probably made out of some 20mil vinyl or thicker..looks like it starts as a tube then is cut and seamed in an 'H' pattern,two bottom edges and across the middle of the bottom,doubled down top edges and seamed there.I washed them out(didn't appear to have ever been opened or used except by me) and filled them up with the hottest tap water I have to see how they stand up to some heat...seems fine..self-supporting and not collapsing.I filled one about 1" from the top,another about a 1/2" or just below the doubled top edges.Not a bad size for a meal on the trail.

Tonight I need to heat up some leftovers for dinner,might try nuking some food in one of the bowls..see how it holds up to that... :DB:
Still no word back from the website about the "food grade matter"..live life on the edge,I guess.. :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Well..I didn't nuke the food in the petco bowl but did pour it in HOT!,added some cheese..which melted down from the heat..and ended up burning my tongue :evil: with the first few bites of some Nachos and beans over rice.I did pick it up and it kind of sagged in the middle,nothing serious,and no damage at all to the container.It should hold up to ramen..or whatever you put in the bowl.Excuse me while I finish my nachos and beer.. :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks for the update and testing them out. I didn't make it over to petco. Tomorrow for sure.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 14, 2009 9:19 pm

Couple more things..eating is nice,easy to get everything in the bowl,no folds and no seams in the vertical corners..corners/sides shape to your eating utensil!Cleanup is a snap because of the same reason,no folds to hisde food,plus the upper doubled edge is folded over and seamed on the OUTSIDE leaving the inside smooth for easy washing or wiping it down..I'll give them five WOOFS out of five! :DB: :DP: Keep in mind that I haven't tried anything with a "soup" consistency..but I don't see that being a problem..other than you won't want to put the bowl directly on your lap because of the heat through the bottom.

Folded:1/4"x 2-1/2"x5-3/8"s each..not counting the rubber band to hold 2-3 closed together..11grams each..I can live with that... ;) ..They do come in a protective thicker plastic case(+ cardboard liner..1"x3"x6"holds 3) with a snap if you are more into comfort than saving a few grams.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 15, 2009 9:36 am

I'll give them five WOOFS out of five! Keep in mind that I haven't tried anything with a "soup" consistency..but I don't see that being a problem..other than you won't want to put the bowl directly on your lap because of the heat through the bottom.

hehheh!!! five woofs out of five. We got top dog ratings here on this new product. I for sure will get some and see how many woofs they get from me. :DP:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri May 15, 2009 10:50 am

Okay.... :evil:

Hi Kerry,

Excellent question. I'll try to be helpful although right now I'm in Bucharest with poor wifi at my location. I have used these bowls as human food grade myself and I generally tend to be concerned about these things. I don't have the info from the manufacturer in front of me. If a link from our website to the manufacturer's website isn't available to you, we'll see what we can do. For now I guess the question will remain up in the air. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful more quickly.
- Barbara

At 08:27 AM 5/14/2009, you wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious about the "Fold-n-Go Disposable Bowls for watering/feeding your
pet while hiking,in the car,etc. In the ad you mention using these as "food
grade" items for feeding snacks to people at barbecues and things.Is this a
"people food grade item" as per specs from the mnufacturer or something
you've added on your own?
The reason I'm asking is these might make lightweight bowls for hiking for
use by people,what I would like to use them for.I just want to know if they
are specified for human "food grade" use by the manufacturer before I buy
them.

Return to “Dime Store Diamonds”