knives

Have you found a cool item at a retail outlet that's in everyone's backyard? Well let's hear about it.
irrationalsolutions

knives

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:23 pm

this may not fit in this catigory but here it is. the wife works at a grocery store and the market guy was going to throw out some knives so she said she wanted them to bring home to me. i got 8 victorinox boning knives out of the deal for free. they arent in the best condition but its nothing a little tlc cant take care of. not sure what i'm going to do with them yet but i was thinking of making a spoon knife out of one.

“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Re: knives

Postby DarenN » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:38 pm

good score, IRA! :D
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:11 am

We toss them every now and them at Kroger when they start to show any sign of rust or are sharpened down to the point that there are better served as a toothpick than a boning knife. I do have one Victornox boning knife and all the rest are Dexter Russell knives. They make good fish fillet knives when they get worn to the point of being fairly flexible ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:15 am

the blade on these things are thicker than my mora. rr you know those three sided sharpening stones they use? well i have one of those and on of the knives is going to become a carving knife this weekend.

i used to work in the market of a publix, thats where i learned to sharpen knives well.

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:47 am

I have quite a collection of kitchen knives from my old days as a chef, I love those big tri-stones, there's nothing better for getting the perfect edge, but they're freaking expensive!

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:57 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:I have quite a collection of kitchen knives from my old days as a chef, I love those big tri-stones, there's nothing better for getting the perfect edge, but they're freaking expensive!

And lugging a tri-stone in your pack is the pits. I do carry a "filament" from a large sodium lamp as a camp sharpener/"steel". (This one is about 10" long and 5/16" dia - the 6" ones are more common) It will put a respectable edge back onto a dulled blade fairly quick - but it will also ruin the edge fairly quickly if you go at the wrong angle too. Price is right - free. From a burned out industrial lamp.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:39 pm

Vibe wrote: I do carry a "filament" from a large sodium lamp as a camp sharpener/"steel". (This one is about 10" long and 5/16" dia - the 6" ones are more common) It will put a respectable edge back onto a dulled blade fairly quick - but it will also ruin the edge fairly quickly if you go at the wrong angle too. Price is right - free. From a burned out industrial lamp.

i've never heard of this before now, and would really like to know more.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:47 pm

i've heard about the filiment being used before but have never seen it done and also dont know much about them. as far as the tri-stone, it stays at home. i bought it to use on my kitchen knives but it gets used on everything. i was playing around with one of the knives last night and the handle feels great. the only problem i forsee is the angle of the blade. it leans back a bit. it is also a bit thick. however, for the price i can work around it.

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:49 pm

It leans back because it's been improperly sharpened over the years. If it's done right, the blade gets smaller but stays the same shape.

When I was cooking, I never let anyone use my knives, never mind sharpening them.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:27 pm

The "filament" is nothing magical - it's a ceramic tube that contained the sodium required for the sodium vapor lamp to work, As such there are electrodes at each end that attach it to, and must be separated from, the lamp assembly. You do have to break the glass globe to get to it. But it's the ceramic that has the texture and hardness required to move/remove the blades metal and form the edge. Since there is really no reason for the texture to be of a particular grade for it's intended purpose, some may end up being more or less aggressive as a stone than others.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Return to “Dime Store Diamonds”