knives

Have you found a cool item at a retail outlet that's in everyone's backyard? Well let's hear about it.
zelph

Re: knives

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:10 pm

Vibe wrote:The "filament" is nothing magical - it's a ceramic tube that contained the sodium required for the sodium vapor lamp to work, As such there are electrodes at each end that attach it to, and must be separated from, the lamp assembly. You do have to break the glass globe to get to it. But it's the ceramic that has the texture and hardness required to move/remove the blades metal and form the edge. Since there is really no reason for the texture to be of a particular grade for it's intended purpose, some may end up being more or less aggressive as a stone than others.

Unique information there Vibe, thanks!!! Very interesting

Sodium, isn't that the metal that burns in water? That's the pyro in me having a flash back :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:49 pm

zelph wrote:
Sodium, isn't that the metal that burns in water?

magnesium
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:07 pm

zelph wrote:
Sodium, isn't that the metal that burns in water? That's the pyro in me having a flash back :o

Dude, it's not a flashback, you're still a pyro!!

Where's that dancing banana?

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:05 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:
Sodium, isn't that the metal that burns in water?

magnesium

That one also :D but you have to light it first :lol:

Sodium will ignite just because it reacts with water violently, whooooowheee baby, that's what i like :P

Pyro in motion :mrgreen: No flashback ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:43 pm

sorry i havent given an update yet. i took the worst looking knife and decided to work on it first. upon close exam i found that the last person to sharpen it thought it was a cheap pocket knife you get at the flee market for $.50. so i went to the store the wife works at and found the guy that sent them to me. he doesnt even work in the market, he's the produce guy! after talking to him i found out that the old market manager they had to fire gave them to him and he never used them. i dont have access to a standing belt sander right now ( its in storage ) so a true scandy edge is out of the question. i put it in a vise and took a file to it. after a while i got a good angle on it. then i put it on a old really cheap stone i have then once i got it worked out even i put it on my tri-stone. it works nice now. i can shave with it. the last guy to use them also didnt know how to clean them. after scrubbing it then soaking it in bleach then scrubbing again i got the funk and crud off the handle. i used it to cut up some cheap steaks i bought to make bar-style steak bites. it cut the steaks like a warm knife through butter. as far as my plans with the rest of them go. i plan to take on and make it a carveing knife then the one that has the worst looking tip and blade i am going to make a spoon carving knife out of. one of the longer knives is thinner than the others i am going to make a fellet knife out of it. i am also going to sharpen one really well and give it to the guy that sent them to me. he goes camping a lot with his family and i am sure he could use it. anyway thats where i'm at right now with them.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Return to “Dime Store Diamonds”