Wind speed gauge

Have you found a cool item at a retail outlet that's in everyone's backyard? Well let's hear about it.
Tony

Wind speed gauge

Postby Tony » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:19 pm

I visited a local swap meet yesterday looking for a part for my lathe, no lathe part was found but I ended up with a very old wind speed gauge.

The gauge was made in Germany and is of a high quality and in very good condition, it was originally sold by a ships chandlers in Sydney. The gauge reads in Feet/minute

I have started to use it to test some windshields with a pedestal fan, the wind that comes off the fan is at 600 ft/min or just over 3 m/sec.

Tony

zelph

Re: Wind speed gauge

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:25 pm

All kinds of good things to be found at swapmeets. Nice tech find!!!!

Good item to do accurate testing. Thanks for sharing the photo and your good fortune. Wonder who put it in the swapmeet and what were their interests in it, just a curiosity thing. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Tony

Postby Tony » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Zelph,

Wonder who put it in the swapmeet and what were their interests in it, just a curiosity thing.

The person had a large trailer load of interesting gear from what appeared to from an old tool makers shop, like high quality measuring equipment and some other technical gear like a strobe type measuring device, I think that he probably goes to closing down sales and surplus machinery sales. I could of spent a lot more and had to force myself not too.

Tony

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:47 pm

I know it's hard to hold back on buying. I have to keep one eye shut also when I go out for deals. Both eyes open and I see too many good deals and can't resist :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Dime Store Diamonds”