Next year I'm water hiking

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
realityguy

Re: Next year I'm water hiking

Postby realityguy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 am

Those 4" wide "golf cart" wheels are pretty mandatory around here on the local "wet" courses now...should work fine.
You've got lots of nylon so it should be easy to work up a "sling dolly" with a couple side pieces connected by pockets in your sling center so it is actually three pieces and the weight of the canoe holding those pieces together.Otherwise the three pieces slip apart and lie flat in the bow of your canoe... :geek: ..Damn McGyvor- brain doesn't quit working... :roll:
:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:36 pm

Damn McGyvor- brain doesn't quit working...

You're doing just fine!!!! :D

I picked up a newer colf bag caddy today for $3.00. I'm on a roll!!! :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:32 am

Port-a-Canoe dolly... that breaks down and uses the sling as a carrier for the parts.The hole in the top of the pockets for the snugger straps allows water to exit the pockets when packed up.The axle could be broken down lengthwise with threaded inserts as backing plates and stored in the pockets or used as a handle as shown with a hole cut (and binding tape around it)in the sling..or just the center portion.The wheel axles could just be bolts with no axle across but I'd be afraid the wheels might catch on some rough ground and not roll true..therefore the axle across.Quick release pins or wingnuts..with washers hold the wheels on for quick disassembly into the canoe.
The sides only really need to be slightly higher than the wheels(6"?) so the wheels can't rub on the canoe and the snugger straps have more tension to the gunnels,tightening the canoe in the sling.
The sling/packer could be made with all that 1.9 oz nylon you've got lying around. :roll:
A couple easily made aluminum gunnel clamps on strapping with snubbers hooks it to the boat.The flex of the axle shaft flexes the dolly against the canoe sides for a snugger fit and less movement.Household copper pipe foam insulation could be placed over the axle center to protect the boat..or over the top bars and eliminate the sling(if you don't feel like sewing/making the sling).
Dolly sides are 3/4-1" aluminum conduit or the equivalent and the axle holder plates 1/4" aluminum(bolted to slotted conduit).The overall length could be 18-24"whatever holds the wheels in the pocket when packed..or one wheel/bracket in each side pocket for a shorter length but wider pack in the canoe/car.The entire rig might probably weigh 3lbs + the weight of the wheels. :geek: ..or at least that's what it looks like in my head. :roll:
:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Great drawings, easily understood. :D

I think the sling could be eliminated. I need all the silnylon for my teepee :lol:

It will be clamped to the gunnel to stablize it. The underside of the canoe has a steel strip sticking up 1/4" that will rest on the axle.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Your canoe more than likely will rest on a portion of the boat also..on the axle..wrap the axle in some copper water pipe foam insulation and don't worry about rubs.You may want some on the sides also.

Cutting triangles in silnylon for teepee building.. :roll: ..You'll learn real quick about how much scrape you are going to end up with....I think I posted a way to avoid a lot of that with your layout triangles ..every other one from opposite sides,the two ends make one panel for doors..

You have mail! ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:17 am

Here is a MAN CAVE PROJECT for this winter and maybe a teepee :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:56 am

When I saw what looked like a tv screen on the bow,I figured you were making a "man cave-lounge chair" out of the canoe.. :o ..then I turned up the volume.. :roll: ..You need a nice floor in there..some concrete for "solar gain" and to make it easier to clean out the dust bunnies..or at least some weed pullin',round-up,and crushed rock. :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:13 am

Cleaning the man cave will be first and formost. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:10 pm

"Shewy" (Yorkshire, UK) sent me link to a place that gives directions on a DIY cart to haul the craft to the waters edge and back.

I have 2 hand trucks and the older one is going to be modified :lol:

Take a look, the plans:

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/home- ... bq-special

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Those plans look fairly simple ;) and I love the canoe. You are going to have fun :DB: :DP: :DB:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Water-Hiking”