Electric fillet knife

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
Ridgerunner

Electric fillet knife

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:07 pm

While fishing in Arkansas a couple weeks ago, my brother-in-law pulls out an electric fillet knife to make very quick work of filleting a mess of crappie. I am curious if anyone here has any experience or recommendations on electric fillet knives? Searching the web seems to say that every knife out there has lemons and good working models. What say yee? Rapala, MisterTwister, Berkley,Black&Decker, American fisherman?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Re: Electric fillet knife

Postby realityguy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:42 pm

We used to use them for filleting large quantities of salmon but I don't think it really mattered a whole lot which brand with fish that large..and I haven't had a "large quantity of salmon" at one time since the mid 80s... :evil:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:04 pm

as with any other type of tool; "buy the most expensive that you can afford". if it's "Made On The Home Continent", so much the better.

did the one your B-I-L had impress you? (you'd know knives better than most. being the "tool of your trade"). if his knife impressed you; buy that one. i've never owned a bad product from either Rapala or Berkley. maybe i'm just lucky. ;)

steel nowadays can be pretty iffy at times. especially from china. the scandanavian countries seem to putting out mostly good quality blades. (i recently bought a Kershaw pocket knife thinking that they are made in America. imagine my chagrine to find made in china on the blade! but it seems to be fine so far.couple months now.)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Hmm..I always thought Kai Kershaw was from Japan?!..Even they are getting chinzy i guess... :shock:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:21 pm

did the one your B-I-L had impress you? (you'd know knives better than most. being the "tool of your trade"). if his knife impressed you; buy that one. i've never owned a bad product from either Rapala or Berkley. maybe i'm just lucky.

He had a American Angler from Wallyworld that he has had for a few years. It seemed to work fine but did seem to labor a bit when cutting thru the rib cage but I guess that is to be expected. The trip has peeked my ambition to get my boat sea worthy again and do some pan fishing. I researched the web on electric fillet knives and not one stuck out above the rest. I went ahead and bought a Berkley set at Wallyworld for $52 and berkley has a $15 rebate promotion going on until October. It came in a hard case with two sets of blades and 3 methods of power. 110v, 12v cigarette plug, and 12v alligator clips.It is made in China and my guess is the first thing to go will be the motor but that SHOULD be many years down the road as I have too many hobbies to be fishing 24/7. Like most other things made today, the old addage; they don't make them like they use to" applies. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:06 am

I have a hand crank that works so well would not consider an electric :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:29 pm

realityguy wrote:Hmm..I always thought Kai Kershaw was from Japan?!..Even they are getting chinzy i guess... :shock:

printed on the box the knife came in;

Kershaw Knives
Kai USA Ltd
18600 SW Teton Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062

then in microscopic print;

Made In China
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:50 pm

You must be buying your knives at the wrong thrift stores!

:lol: :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:51 pm

You see that more and more these days. The home office or storefront might be in the USA but the material and labor are from foreign soil just like most of the popular commercial backpacks. ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:01 pm

I think you'll ahve to go here in the future and check the "country of origin" on the model you are thinking of buying..

http://www.thekershawstore.com/Kershaw_ ... _s/209.htm

It appears the ones that say "made in USA..they tack on an additional measly hunert dollahs.. :o ..Must be an engraving fee on a china blade... :lol:

Return to “Water-Hiking”