Philippine Kayak Expedition

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
hoz

Philippine Kayak Expedition

Postby hoz » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:57 pm

Buzzy Budlong, a friend of mine from Cebu, is currently attempting to paddle the length of the Philippines. They started at the southern tip of Mindanao and will continue 3,300 km to Pugudpud at the northern tip of Luzon. If they succeed, he and Khoo Swee Chiow, a Singaporean adventurer, will be the first to accomplish this.

They are currently on week 2 of the trip and anticipate being in Cebu October 5th.

http://friendshipkayak.com/blog/category/blog-entries/

Swee Chiow,Buzzy and Arnel

A remote village on the coast of Mindanao.

DarenN

Re: Philippine Kayak Expedition

Postby DarenN » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:30 pm

thanks Hoz!
i posted the link over at westcoastpaddler. that shot of the remote village is very striking!

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Wow!!!! quite and adventure to be taking on. Anything planned for National Geographic to get in on the sucessful conclusion?

Is the remote village a group of families surviving on the land type of scenario???? Fresh seafood, land animals to eat some extra cash from paddlers passing buy. Looks like some yellow kayaks down at the far left on the beach. All the cabins are on stilts. High tide brings the fish in right under the kitchen for a quick fresh meal delivered right under your doorstep :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Postby hoz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:26 pm

The village is remote, probably accessible only by boat. The villagers fish and raise vegetables on the land behind their huts. You can bet those palms are more than scenic,providing coconut and also wood for building.

Those "kayaks" you see on the left are "Bankas", Philippine outrigger fishing canoes. The men take them out at sunset and fish all night. They go out to reefs, often a mile or more offshore.

Like this:

This is the "support boat" BTW. It got snagged on a reef the first day out and had to be rescued.

I paddled with Buzzy when we visited the Philippines. We did a 9 mile crossing to an island. He's a very strong paddler and a good waterman. I have no doubt he is giving Swee Chiou a run for the money.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:15 pm

Hoz;
is that outrigger canoe 'powered' or 'paddled'?

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

hoz

Postby hoz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:55 am

Propulsion depends on how "prosperous' the owner is. I've seen them both ways, driven by a rough homemade paddle (single blade, no doubles) and others a 5 hp Briggs mounted with a small shaft and propeller let out the rear. This "support boat" probably has a small motor.

The lifestyle looks idyllic from our vantage, but it's precarious for these fisherfolk. They suffer almost every day to survive, yet when you meet them they smile, say "Good Morning" and would give you the shirts off their backs (sometimes more holes than fabric) if you are in trouble.

They have a saying in the Philippines, "He will catch a fish". Which means you are reliable, sufficent, and can do what's necessary to make a living. I've heard it used for all sorts of people.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:06 am

Who are the three wearing vests???? looks like a group being ferried out to camp on an island.

hoz

Postby hoz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:24 pm

That I don't know. I assume the ones wearing vests are part of the support crew and the others actually own the boat. (Only "city boys" can afford vests in the Philippines.)

The paddlers have rounded the corner of Mindanao and are now on the eastern coast, battling the open Pacific. The next week will be the most exposed part of the trip until they reach Luzon and the China Sea.

hoz

Postby hoz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Many many more pictures have been uploaded to the Friendship Kayak Gallery.

http://friendshipkayak.com/blog/gallery/

Lots of shots of locals interacting with the expedition members.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:00 pm

battling the open Pacific.

Photos of that should be interesting!!!!! :D

Return to “Water-Hiking”