The smallest stove??

Know of a stove that has some Character about it for one reason or another, post it here.
realityguy

Re: The smallest stove??

Postby realityguy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Interesting..did you ever notice that a can of Gillette Foamy shaving cream contains isobutane,propane,and butane?
Wouldn't a "foamy fire gel" be a great invention?Spray a small clump and light it..no stove needed!Unfortunately the foam has too much water and other crap(stearic acid,triethanolamine,laureth-23,sodium lauryl sulfate,fragrance,bht) in it to work... :roll: :cry:
I wanted the small cylinder for a stove,just the right diameter(1-1/4" inside)..but guess I have to shave a few times first.. :evil:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:09 pm

We define a stove as fire and pot support that will boil 2 cups of water. :D

Hand sanitizer makes a good smelling fuel. Might be able to shave with it and clot any cuts that you might get......ouch!!!! :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:00 am

I was just thinking the foam would be kind of interesting if it worked...like a soft weber fire cube.. :roll: I see you are using those..;^)..We carry them around in all our packs,at least a couple crumbled up in a pill bottle.I have a small ferro rod with mine..
Have you tried boiling water with the cubes?just wondered how much it would take...I have a couple packages that'll probably last me for years!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:04 pm

I only have 1/2 package left out of the 4? that I bought last fall. I've been experimenting :mrgreen: They reall are nice for starting fires and I'll be watching for the "end of season" sale on them and then stock up on them.

I have not tried to boil water with them. They will in a pinch if necessary. Burn dirty just like wood :o Pellets burn relatively clean compared to pine. They say most of the nasty stuff in the sawdust is squeezed out in the process of making into pellets.

ridebks

Postby ridebks » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:08 am

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:57 pm

ridebks wrote:How about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC1lSpSz7i4

Very shakey pot support. Perhaps some hardware cloth or another DIY pot support would stabilize the pot. Looks to be a 12oz. beer can. When Oops56 and I did our pill bottle stoves, we were testing with 2 cups of water. I wonder if his stove will boil 2 cups. I like the burner holes but you lose the ability to seal the stove up even though there probably would not be any fuel left over after achieving a boil. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:07 pm

ridebks wrote:How about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC1lSpSz7i4

It's small and has a nice flame patter. What caused the flame to move from the tealite container up to the jets on the center container?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:10 pm

I would guess that when he filled the pill container, fuel poured out the jets into the tealite container. No wick so it goes full bore and the pot snuffs out the center hole.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:29 pm

If you notice until 4:40 it's burning out of the tealyte rather than the holes above.. ;) ..yeah..I'd say there was a bit of spilled fuel in there. :lol:
I think I was getting 8 minute burns with my kodak jetted film cans.Probably would boil 12oz with 1/2 oz.I think I was barely shy on the 16oz boil..Hmm have to hit the archives and see what they did..don't recall now.

The pics were gone but I reloaded them..I think.. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1702&p=15678&hilit=kodak#p15678

ridebks

Postby ridebks » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:11 pm

[/quote]I would guess that when he filled the pill container, fuel poured out the jets into the tealite container. No wick so it goes full bore and the pot snuffs out the center hole.

Actually when the fuel heats up, it comes out of the jets into the tealight holder. Both the spilled fuel and the jets are burning untill the excess in the tealight burns off. That was actually by mistake. The tealight holder was at first only there so a mess would not be made and for a little more stability in the woods. The bouncing around during the boil is actually caused by the big lid that the set up was sitting on. The stove was really just a way of making a cup of coffee if one needed to during a day hike. Fun with Fire!!!

Return to “Stoves With Character”