superstove and coleman fuel

Know of a stove that has some Character about it for one reason or another, post it here.
juma

superstove and coleman fuel

Postby juma » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:00 pm

doesn't really seem to work with coleman fuel. tried one third ounce, 2 cups of water, 50 degrees outside, kmart pot with windscreen, trimmed superstove and water from the tap. burned for about 12 minutes and got the water warm. don't see how this would be much better in real cold weather....

juma

zelph

Re: superstove and coleman fuel

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Looks like you trimmed it too short.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

juma

Postby juma » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 am

zelph wrote:Looks like you trimmed it too short.

hmmmm....down to the etched line, right?

juma

Postby juma » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:56 am

also, the coleman I got at walmart is sort of pinkish in color. I notice yours is clear in your video. did I somehow get the wrong stuff?

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:22 pm

juma wrote:also, the coleman I got at walmart is sort of pinkish in color. I notice yours is clear in your video. did I somehow get the wrong stuff?

My gallon of fuel is old. New stuff must be pinkish. :?:

I don't know why the difference in results. I may have used a smaller aluminum pot(2.5 cup) for the boil tests and a grease pot for the video. The grease pot holds 4 cups water. The larger pot would make a difference.

Try the test a couple more times and see if there is a change. The modified version is for convenience of being able to use different fuels in emergency situations. I was impressed with the figures on my boil tests and was prompted to share them. Everyone will have different results based on conditions and equipment. Barometric pressure has a direct effect on boils. Low pressure means longer heating times to attain a boil.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

juma

Postby juma » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:42 pm

yo-k

Return to “Stoves With Character”