Hey OOPS!..Got one of these???What is it?

Know of a stove that has some Character about it for one reason or another, post it here.
realityguy

Re: Hey OOPS!..Got one of these???What is it?

Postby realityguy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:08 pm

In the above picture..the center was hacked down to the flat plate..the gear for raising the wick was hacksawed off the shaft so the knob and shaft are free and removable.I only wrapped it with teflon tape for testing.I'm thinking of some kind of air valve on the end for flame/pressure adjustment(keep the pressure down to a low roar).The brass or copper bowl is just that..something I got for 50 cents at the thrift store.I had some leftover skinny copper tubing from a refrigerator "icemaker attachment kit"..stuffed it with 3 layers of cotton string and wrapped it around a piece of ABS for shape..flattened a little but works okay.Then drilled a couple corresponding holes in the bowl and a couple tight ones to the tank..jb weld and three screws the bowl to the top and a little jbweld around the tubing into the tank.
The cross bars are some scrap brass I had laying around from camera building.The bowl had the remnants of a handle on the end(so I guess it was a pot) so I bent that upright and drilled it out for a bolt to solidify the potstand to the top..Fini

To fire it up,alcohol in the tank and a bit of primer alcohol in the bowl.The heat from the copper coil going into the tank and the cross jets keep everything toasty and working.I do need to peen down a little that one erratic yellow jet on the far side in the video. :o
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:34 pm

realityguy wrote:In the above picture..the center was hacked down to the flat plate..the gear for raising the wick was hacksawed off the shaft so the knob and shaft are free and removable.I only wrapped it with teflon tape for testing.I'm thinking of some kind of air valve on the end for flame/pressure adjustment(keep the pressure down to a low roar).The brass or copper bowl is just that..something I got for 50 cents at the thrift store.I had some leftover skinny copper tubing from a refrigerator "icemaker attachment kit"..stuffed it with 3 layers of cotton string and wrapped it around a piece of ABS for shape..flattened a little but works okay.Then drilled a couple corresponding holes in the bowl and a couple tight ones to the tank..jb weld and three screws the bowl to the top and a little jbweld around the tubing into the tank.
The cross bars are some scrap brass I had laying around from camera building.The bowl had the remnants of a handle on the end(so I guess it was a pot) so I bent that upright and drilled it out for a bolt to solidify the potstand to the top..Fini

To fire it up,alcohol in the tank and a bit of primer alcohol in the bowl.The heat from the copper coil going into the tank and the cross jets keep everything toasty and working.I do need to peen down a little that one erratic yellow jet on the far side in the video. :o

Darn a big let down homemade a rare one :DB: :DB:
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:01 pm

Darn a big let down homemade a rare one :DB: :DB:

Nah..now you don't have to buy one..just make your own!Just think...you won't even have to pay shipping! :lol:

I spoofed the Dean of Stovedom... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:28 pm

Oh, It's not nice to fool Stovie Oops. This could come back to bite you in the arse. :lol: :?:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Can I enter this one in the "spoof of the month" club? :o

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:08 am

realityguy wrote:Can I enter this one in the "spoof of the month" club? :o

It had me spoofed, the all copper construction was the convincer for me. Nice choice of materials. The thread you posted it in also was a convincer.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:19 pm

Well..at least I got oops out of hibernation for awhile...been quite awhile since he's posted. :lol:

I'm going to add a couple more jets..see if I can tone it down a tad,maybe figure out a better
primer system that uses the bottom tank(put a small wick back in the bottom?)or an adjustable bottom burner.
I do have another one that is original with the wick setup I can play with,but I paid $5 for that one..hate to tear apart such an expensive item! :lol:

Return to “Stoves With Character”