Foldable Pocket Cooker

Know of a stove that has some Character about it for one reason or another, post it here.
brooklynkayak

Re: Foldable Pocket Cooker

Postby brooklynkayak » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:16 pm

Hey oops56
That wonder stove may have been my inspiration for my kayak expedition stove.

Mine was designed for found fuel as well. I have used it with alcohol stoves. The high walls work especially well in windy conditions. I tend to set up camp in windy, exposed areas to avoid biting bugs. It is not very inventive, but has served me well:
http://picasaweb.google.com/brooklynkayak/UltimateCompactStoveWindscreenPotStandCombination?authkey=N4jLUbkxvJU#
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
-- H. S. Thompson

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:22 am

BK,
That setup is so simple it's beautiful! Nice job in seeing the possibilities and repurposeing that gear. I like the multiple configurations and will be keeping an open eye out for that windscreen. How does the aluminum stand up to wood fires? Have you tried it yet?

PS You could drill a series of holes for your skewers and add adjustable pot height.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:24 am

brooklynkayak wrote:The "Foldable Pocket Cooker"

Too heavy for backpacking, I'd guess 2 lbs, but packs small, literally fits in a pocket.
Good emergency survival stove or for canoe/kayak camping.
Made out of heavy gauge steel.

Use a handful of twigs and/or pine cones. charcoal works well.

It is good for pots 1 liter or less.

One source:
http://www.campingsurvival.com/fopocost.html

Yup, same stove. Can find @ http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/
a little cheaper here:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=288270
OR
http://www.campingsurvival.com/fopocost.html
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

brooklynkayak

Postby brooklynkayak » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:30 am

DaddyMnM wrote:BK,
That setup is so simple it's beautiful! Nice job in seeing the possibilities and repurposeing that gear. I like the multiple configurations and will be keeping an open eye out for that windscreen. How does the aluminum stand up to wood fires? Have you tried it yet?

I have used wood, twigs, pine cones, ... a few times. I haven't taken it on any extended trips yet.
I thought I would have a problem with warping of the windscreen, being aluminum and all. I tend to keep my fires in it small, and since aluminum is a good heat conductor, I guess the heat sort of spreads out and doesn't get a chance to develop spots hot enough to warp.

I initially used coat hanger and other stiff wires. They warped from the heat. I have settled on heavy BBQ skewers they do get a little soft if the fire is to hot, but they hold up.

PS You could drill a series of holes for your skewers and add adjustable pot height.[/quote]

I will eventually do that, but for now, the height always seems to be about perfect.

I see those windscreens everywhere. I think I got mine at a local camping supply, but I know campmor sells them.
I may try a roaring huge fire this weekend to see how it holds up with a big fire.

I'll follow up and may try to get pictures, if I can remember to bring my camera
stevie
-- H. S. Thompson

brooklynkayak

Postby brooklynkayak » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:17 pm

brooklynkayak wrote:I have used wood, twigs, pine cones, ... a few times. I haven't taken it on any extended trips yet.
I thought I would have a problem with warping of the windscreen, being aluminum and all. I tend to keep my fires in it small, and since aluminum is a good heat conductor, I guess the heat sort of spreads out and doesn't get a chance to develop spots hot enough to warp.

I'll follow up and may try to get pictures, if I can remember to bring my camera
stevie

OK. I got some pictures on a cold windy morning. Of the 10 or more times I've cooked with this setup, the screen has never warped one bit. I found this surprising considering the low melting point of aluminum. The steel skewers seem to get the most warpage, but they have held up so far.

Check out the additional pictures of the combination in use:

[url]
http://picasaweb.google.com/brooklynkay ... mbination#[/url]
-- H. S. Thompson

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:25 pm

BK, I have a slightly different version of your windscreen stove rattling around in my noggin.. Here is how I propose to do one.
1)Remove all the hinge pins
2)Cut all the panels in half to shorten the height and lighten the stove
3)Punch draft holes along bottom edge of panels
You have twice as many panels now, giving you an option to enlarge
the whole thing if desire.
4)cut the end hinge pins long enough to stake to the ground one inch
and leave maybe one and a half inches at the top to bend a 90
degree angle on for use as a push pin/pot support. Two of the other
hinge pins will be an inch and a half longer than the panels and bent
at a 90 degree angle at the closed end and inserted from the top
down to make the other pot supports. :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

brooklynkayak

Postby brooklynkayak » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:50 pm

I agree with the modifications ideas for calm to moderate windy areas and I think for backpacking the shortening is a definitely a good idea. Holes also make sense, especially for alcohol stoves. You ideas would make it alot like other screens I have used, except for the hinged folding aspect. Adding another panel would be good for wider pots.

But it seems to me that the high walls work better in strong winds. Having the large opening on one side has seemed to work surprisingly well even when simmiring with a small alcohol stove. I was surprised about this, but maybe the height has something to do with it.

I have compared other shorter windscreens and have found the taller screen even with the one big opening has been more efficient in strong winds, if the opening is away from the windward side.

My tests with my high walled screen, with the big opening on the downwind(leeward) side allows the flame to stay wrapped around the whole pot and maintains the focus of the flame.

On shorter screens the wind tends to suck the flame/heat away from the pot. The wind tends to blow down the windward side and exits the top of the downwind side of the screen. You'll see the flames blowing out the downwind side with much of the heat not reaching the pot. The fact that the wind is blowing and cooling the upwind side of the pot can't help matters either.

This is even more important with alcohol and other more precious fuels. The fuel you save could outway the extra weight of the additional height.
Of course your milage would very depending on the winds you tend to encounter.

Because I travel by kayak and tend to be near open ocean, I see more winds than most backpackers, but not all.

I have found that the Kelly Kettle has been more efficient than almost anything I have tried for boiling water in a strong wind with wood fuel and I suspect the enclosed flame to be the reason.

I guess I'd have to be more scientific if I wanted to gurantee my findings though :)

stevie
-- H. S. Thompson

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:04 pm

I have found that the Kelly Kettle has been more efficient than almost anything I have tried for boiling water in a strong wind with wood fuel and I suspect the enclosed flame to be the reason.

I could see how that would certainly be true. good point and good stove choice.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:39 pm

You're right Zelph, longer twigs also means less time refilling the the fire chamber and longer burn times per load. ;)

Return to “Stoves With Character”