What Backpack are you hiking with?

Discuss commercial internal/external packs you have used and give your likes and dislikes.
Mags

Re: What Backpack are you hiking with?

Postby Mags » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 am

When I was on the Colorado Trail in 2004, I was climbing up to the point where the CT and the CDT split for the last time (going south).

I see this gentleman who looked like he stepped out of a Bean catalog: Large Dana-designs type pack, huge leather waffle stompers, "real" hiker clothing, etc.

Then there's me: My 1lb Lynn Whelden pack (all mesh), beat up Nike Sneakers, beat up ski poles, a stained boonie hat and a very dirty shirt. 3 wks of beard growth , too.

The backpacker gave me a rather bemused look. He then said "That's some interesting gear you have there"

I said "Yep. Works for me"

The other guy said something along the lines of "Well, as you do more backpacking, you may find you use different gear"

I said "Always more to learn, that's for sure!"

You be careful out there.

I will. Great day for hiking!

..and we both parted.

He probably thought I was going to die in the middle of the San Juans. :)

Probably had no idea how much backpacking I've done..or care. ;)
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:45 pm

bet you got a chuckle out of them, Mags.

"Well, as you do more backpacking, you may find you use different gear"

might have replied;"Your right, YOU might !" :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Mags

Postby Mags » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:06 pm

>>bet you got a chuckle out of them, Mags.

That I did! I just smile and nodded. :)
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

Tony

Postby Tony » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:09 pm

For 15 years I used a 65l Berghaus pack 2kg with an internal frame, a few times I loaned it to a friend to travel to remote parts of the world to go pack rafting, it has had a hard life and is still in good condition but it is very uncomfortable.

About 4-5 years ago I brought a Golite Trek 75L 900g, (not made now) it has no internal frame and is the most comfortable pack I have ever used, and it has held up to everything the Australian bush has thrown at it.

I have just received my Golite Jam2 which I plan to use for 3 seasons use and hope to use it in the next week or two for an overnighter.

When I was doing the Tongariro Crossing NZ in Feb, I came across a young lady who was fairly small in stature with a pack that was nearly as big as she was, the pack was on the ground as she was having a rest and came up to her chest. It was a MacPac which is great NZ brand, they make top bomb proof long lasting gear but have not progressed into lightweight gear yet, one of their packs weighs over 4kg (nearly 9lb).

Tony

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:28 pm

My first pack was a North Face MG55 graciously given to me by Samh after much use. During the transfer the pack had a layover at another friend's house where it was viciously attacked by the resident dog. I managed to revive it from the dead after many hours of stitching and patching. It worked remarkably well without any failures but I suspect the spec weight of 4 lbs 8 oz was a little on the light side after all the patching and the ground in dirt from so much use.

I've since moved to a ULA Conduit - 20 oz., 3,200 cu in / 50 liter.
I've found the pack to be excellent. The roll-up top closure works like a dry bag to keep the water out and offers some flexibility for load size. Although it's a frameless pack it is very rigid with my foam sleeping pad stuffed inside. The outer mesh pockets are great and have plenty of space even when the inner pack was full and the two hip belt pockets are great for maps and such.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:05 pm

dlarson wrote:My first pack was a North Face MG55 graciously given to me by Samh after much use. During the transfer the pack had a layover at another friend's house where it was viciously attacked by the resident dog. I managed to revive it from the dead after many hours of stitching and patching. It worked remarkably well without any failures but I suspect the spec weight of 4 lbs 8 oz was a little on the light side after all the patching and the ground in dirt from so much use.

I've since moved to a ULA Conduit - 20 oz., 3,200 cu in / 50 liter.
I've found the pack to be excellent. The roll-up top closure works like a dry bag to keep the water out and offers some flexibility for load size. Although it's a frameless pack it is very rigid with my foam sleeping pad stuffed inside. The outer mesh pockets are great and have plenty of space even when the inner pack was full and the two hip belt pockets are great for maps and such.

I almost indulged myself with that one this year.

Nice choice, nice upgrade. So Samh did the pack well :D Who is the lucky soul to receive it now?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:51 pm

My latest is a ULA Circuit. Amazing pack(love the hipbelt) and Brian's cubic inches seem to be much bigger than other pack makers.

I recently did a six day trip with it and had so much room left over that I'm looking to move down to a Conduit.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:29 pm

zelph wrote:Nice choice, nice upgrade. So Samh did the pack well :D Who is the lucky soul to receive it now?

Right now the MG55 is sitting in my closet. I don't know anyone that would want it, especially after all the patching. Sam and I have a mutual friend Jon who was a Boy Scout when he was young and doesn't do the hiking thing but I've been trying to talk him into it. So there's someone. Otherwise, I don't know what to do with the pack.

Skidsteer wrote:My latest is a ULA Circuit. Amazing pack(love the hipbelt) and Brian's cubic inches seem to be much bigger than other pack makers.
I recently did a six day trip with it and had so much room left over that I'm looking to move down to a Conduit.

I almost bought the Circuit and then decided that it was too much space. If I couldn't fit my stuff in a Conduit I'd just have to reduce my stuff- less to carry!
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

samh

Postby samh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 pm

Firstly, to Mags: Cheers on keeping a straight face in the conversation with the LL Bean hiker and cheers in being polite. It's hard to maintain modesty in that kind of situation, although if you'd have turned his comment about getting different gear someday around on him it would've been a laugh riot.

Secondly, to Dana: If you convince JoHHHn to start backpacking and you get him to use my old TNF pack I would be such a happy man. Knowing you put it to use for a second life was a great joy, but Jon putting it to a third life would be righteous. Good luck getting Jon on the trail - - may take some serious convincing.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 pm

i use a medium alice pack with the frame and the shelf. does anyone know how to put a hydration bag in one to use while hiking?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Return to “BACKPACKS”