What Backpack are you hiking with?

Discuss commercial internal/external packs you have used and give your likes and dislikes.
Ridgerunner

What Backpack are you hiking with?

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 25, 2008 12:10 am

Tell us what kind of backpack you use. Give its weight, features that you like or dislike.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Re: What Backpack are you hiking with?

Postby DarenN » Sun May 25, 2008 12:22 am

Gregory Z55.
3.3lbs empty.
the suspension is great but all the compression straps make for a tangled mess.
at about 30 lbs it is very comfortable. i haven't tried it any heavier yet.
i got it cheap in new condition.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 25, 2008 11:08 pm

For the last 4 years, i have been using a Mountainsmith circuit 5400. It weight about 5 lb. 4 oz. empty. I like the fact that I can haul the kitchen sink if desired. I weigh in at 230, so a 45 lb. pack is not that big of deal. This pack organizes extremely well. It has side, front, and top pockets, internal bladder sleevewhich i never use for its intended purpose. The water bottle pockets angle forward, making access easy while moving. It carries very well. The one downside is the lid/fanny pack fits awkwardly over the collar backboard and when using the lid for a fanny pack, it is also a little awkward. Your hiking poles or my fishing pole case slide nicely between either side pocket and the main bag compartment. The other thing I like on this pack is the elastic shock cord weaved on the front pocket. It is nice for stuffing in a pair of neoprene sandles or a collapsible frying pan. I also hang a small bottle of sanitizer from this cord.
In the spirit of lightening my load, I just purchased a REI Cruise UL60 pack. This will knock a couple pounds off the base weight. Now, I just need to give up some of the other frills. :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

russb

Postby russb » Mon May 26, 2008 3:36 pm

Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak
9.5oz, 3600 cubic inches (2400 in main compartment, 800 with extension collar, 400 in mesh pockets)
Pros: lightweight, large capacity for its weight, very comfortable with weights under 20lbs.
Cons: mesh pockets difficult to use if pack is "stuffed full", top closure also difficult to use if stuffed.

Oh, I just climbed Mt Colvin and Mt Blake in the Adirondacks wearing this pack (about 10 lbs of gear weight, mostly water). I was worried a little about its durability while climbing down some of the rock faces as the bottom scraped along the rock, and the mesh grabbing the pine brush. It held up fine, though next time I will bring one of my crappy packs so I don't have to worry about wrecking my backpacking pack. I don't mind torturing an el cheapo by throwing it down the rocks if need be.

samh

Postby samh » Tue May 27, 2008 9:40 pm

Summer, long trips: ULA Equipment Conduit (modified) 20 oz.
Summer, short trips: ULA Equipment Amp 11 oz.
Winter: Golite pinnacle ?? oz.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Wed May 28, 2008 2:54 pm

Medium Alice Pack with out the frame and with the radio compartment removed. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Mags

Postby Mags » Thu May 29, 2008 1:17 pm

Six Moon Designs Essence (new version).

I used the old version on the CDT. IT is not a pack for those who beat on their gear (like me! :D)

The new version is a bit more sturdy (if a slight weight penalty).

I've used it a fair amount and have been happy with it. People give me odd looks on the trails though because it is about the size of a large daypack! :)
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

samh

Postby samh » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:40 pm

Mags wrote:...People give me odd looks on the trails though because it is about the size of a large daypack! :)

I take pride when I get that look ; )

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:09 pm

samh wrote:
Mags wrote:...People give me odd looks on the trails though because it is about the size of a large daypack! :)

I take pride when I get that look ; )

You guys are wienys of the gram kind. :mrgreen: I hope you don't resemble that!!!!! :lol: :mrgreen:

samh, what stove are you using nowadays??
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

lite hiker

Postby lite hiker » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:00 pm

i Have a red ospry atmos 65 that i use for long hikes or for when i havae to carry a lot of gear. If we plan the trip right i use just a standard jansport backpack. Its petty tight but i've learned to bring what you need, leave what you dont.
Ask a stupid question Get a stupid answer.

Return to “BACKPACKS”