What Backpack are you hiking with?

Discuss commercial internal/external packs you have used and give your likes and dislikes.
rigidpsycho

Re: What Backpack are you hiking with?

Postby rigidpsycho » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:43 am

I have an old Camp Trails external frame pack. it was given to me by a friend it's a little heavy, but I like it for the airflow I get on my back on hot days.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:07 pm

rigidpsycho wrote:I have an old Camp Trails external frame pack. it was given to me by a friend it's a little heavy, but I like it for the airflow I get on my back on hot days.

Good point, that's very important to me. I glow profusely :lol: :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

GAGA

Postby GAGA » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:34 pm

I have 2,
- one Gregory reality heavy duty tough backpack at 4.5lb
- one ULA catalyst at 2lb.11oz new model with Dual Stay Framesheet and `08 new features
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

Papa John

Postby Papa John » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:06 am

I have quite a range of packs. Starting with a Golite Breeze for short summer hikes that are well planned so that there is nothing extra brought along. The other extreme is a large Jansport External Frame pack. I also have a Kelty Redwing 2900 that is a bit heavy but is an interesting pack, a Kelty 3900 Trekker external frame, a Kelty Super Cirque external frame, an Equinox Katahdin (my favorite right now). I like the externals as they take the weight off my shoulders and take a lot of abuse. Plus, I can bring more comfort items along with me if I like.

texron

Postby texron » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Just picked up a ULA OHM, cannot wait to try her out, been wearing it around the house, what my wife used to think is now confirmed in her mind...I'm NUTS!!!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Still playing with a couple new ones..Golite Race(1lb 80z,3000ci) and Speed(2lb 4oz,3600ci)
I like them..comfortable and liight..amazing amount of bells and whistles for what they weigh of compression straps,exterior helmet area(for bear can),lots of loops/straps for external stuff,lots of mesh pockets,hydration compartment(but next to the body,probably won't use that much).Hard to believe what is there for what it weighs,especially the lighter one.
One of the major complaints online is a floppy lid..not a problem if you roll down the extended top,secure that,then secure the lid right down tight over the rolled top.I fill the 2 pockets in the lid which is nice for quick access to maps,compass,candy bars,first aid,bugspray,etc....
I've used them only for day hikes so far and with only about 15lbs..don't hardly feel anything there!This is a soft pack with no hard stays so I'll be rolling a thermarest around the perimeter inside..or something soft by my back.On the day hikes I use a windshield foam/foil suncover,works great.
My complaints would be an extreme lack of being able to reach anything other than the pockets on the waist belt..without taking it off.I am going to maybe add a front-pocketed vest(picked up a light one)for longer heavier weights and figure out what I need for a front water bottle(or use a hydration one in a mesh pocket outside).It would be nice to have a second zippered access to inside the one large main pocket..without undoing the lid,unrolling the top,etc.
I'll have to do more field testing with more weight.
For what I paid for them($45 for one on ebay and $40 for one locally through craigs)"used" but still looking just like new..I can't complain! :lol:
99% of my hiking will be three day lightweight stuff packing minimum gear.I don't expect to ever get over 25-30lbs..which sounds like the limit for these.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “BACKPACKS”