DIY old Jansport/Alpinelite w/ much smaller diameter tube

Discuss commercial internal/external packs you have used and give your likes and dislikes.
SSGHawk

DIY old Jansport/Alpinelite w/ much smaller diameter tube

Postby SSGHawk » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:49 pm

Hey dan,
Still working tons of hours so have not been able to play with the swirling exhaust chamber stove/pot,

I have been giving it a lot of thought during my commute as I also have been thinking about a vintage jansport with hip load transfer arms or some thing like a alpinelite that also transfers the load to the hip on both side (the iliac?) made out of much smaller diameter tubing,9 probably 3/8" OD versus jansports 5/8" OD. I do expect ro have a thicker tube wall but still should be left with a significant weight reduction.
My question is that I have been watching youtube videos for "Techno weld" that they claim this soldering approach heats the aluminum to about 725 degrees F which they claim is 200 degrees below the aluminum melting point. They also claim the final joint is stronger than the "welded" metal.

I will be welding together the pieces and joint of the 3/8" OB tubing when I build the pack frame.
Does anyone have experience using this product and have any comments on its limitation of the "Techno weld" product for my application?

Secondly, does anyone have any ideas on where I can locate tees and elbows (probably high strength plastic ) that I can use to minimize the :welding'?

Best regards
paul

SSGHawk

Re: DIY old Jansport/Alpinelite w/ much smaller diameter tub

Postby SSGHawk » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Opps!
I just found another product that only requires 350F: "Super alloy 1".

Regards to all
paul

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:20 pm

I'd go with epoxy. I've used this stuff by Oatey:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23533-138-31270 ... Id=3132883

Not my review ;)

This epoxy is found in the plumbing section of Lowes, but it is an epoxy that can be used for almost any application. Since it is a putty, it can be mixed then applied and molded to surfaces without the running effect you would have with traditional 2 part epoxies. Mixing this epoxy could be sort of difficult for older people or just anyone with weak hands & fingers, say someone with arthritis of the hands, but mixing it in smaller batches will reduce this effect. This epoxy does start to dry up especially on the ends, so it must be kept tightly sealed in the plastic tubing, I would suggest to find an old round tall food container that is airtight, then place the whole epoxy package in the sealed container when not in use, to increase its shelf life, by removing the product from air as much as possible. Overall this is a quality product. I have mixed other brands of epoxies that resulted in a final product that did not fully harden, this never happened with this product, every batch I mixed, fully cured to the maximum hardness I would expect from a good epoxy.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

SSGHawk

Postby SSGHawk » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:16 am

Commander Dan.
Thanks much. Hands pretty good still.
How would you rate its strength for assembling a backpack frame with no screws?
Just for kicks, I might do a little bit of Boy Scout lashing with USGI boobie trap wire before I used this material.

Good to talk with you . Already been up for an hour so I just don't have enough time to "invent" at the moment; other than in my brain.
best regards,
Paul

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:09 am

I would rate the epoxy "good" for strength at the joints. Your tubes would probably bend before the epoxy gave out. I used it on a DIY knife handle and worked well. Also used it to repair a broken plastic handle on an electric fry pan.

Kite suppliers online should be a good source for joint parts etc.

SSGHawk

Postby SSGHawk » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Commander,
Many thanks Sir.
Keep well.

Your apprentice,
Paul

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:16 pm

SSGHawk wrote:Commander,
Many thanks Sir.
Keep well.

Your apprentice,
Paul

Let us know how the joint project goes, which method of securing the joints....thanks in advance :D

Gee, it feels good to have an apprentice :o

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:15 pm

Dan..what color is the putty when hard?...I need a good white one and dark brown for fixing guitar and ukulele nuts..string holders..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:16 pm

realityguy wrote:Dan..what color is the putty when hard?...I need a good white one and dark brown for fixing guitar and ukulele nuts..string holders..

It's grey in color and lightens up once you put a file to it or sand paper. It's moldable by hand, stuff is good for certain projects. JB weld is good for others.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Okay..neither white nor brown..guess I'll keep looking...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “BACKPACKS”