why choose a ul backpack?

Discuss commercial internal/external packs you have used and give your likes and dislikes.
CJD

Re: why choose a ul backpack?

Postby CJD » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 am

I have been having a great time looking at the current gear offerings of quality.

I could not resist the Timbuk2 Especial Tres Cycling Backpack 2014, a waterproof roll top backpack. it is a 40-liter backpack at the upper limits of ul or lightweight.

The HyperliteMountainGear 2400 Southwest Pack is the cuben fiber ul version I may spring for, as well. It is also a 40-liter backpack.

Each backpack is built strong. Each has practical features.

There is so much available, now, and so many known brands and not well-known, to me, making excellent proven equipment. There are also so many people purchasing great gear for the outdoors I think all the manufacturers or retailers are doing well. If not, have a store online and get the word out in the forums there is great gear available.

I have been replacing my gear that was stolen, well, very nearly all of it. I was getting "sticker shock". However, I have been looking to replace favorites only, and that cuts down on expense.

It is better to have only "favorites" gear, once you know what you like best.

Whew! That's a tough one!

There is so much stuff! All of it looks so glamorous.

And, so much of it looks like it might become a favorite item.

And "the small stuff" adds up, both in expense and in weight in the backpack.

Have you seen Snow Peak silicon kitchen spoon? Maybe "just the thing" for my JetBoil Zip?

See what I mean? I want it.

I will get the website back online, soon.

I managed to re-purchase the domain name I let slide away. Not deliberately, I can tell you.

Now, I have registered where I will get noticed it is time for renewal of fees.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Will all your previous information be there or will you have start from scratch?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

CJD

Postby CJD » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:08 am

Fortunately, I had put up the website myself. I have everything I had.

I use Filezilla FTP and Notepad, replaced with Filezilla and Edit Pad Pro. Each webpage is a separate file in one folder named website. The photos are in a photo folder inside the same folder.

Index.html and html plus any css instructions in each web page file tell everything how and where to display properly.

That's it. I recommend everyone know how to put up their own website.

Fortunately, all that is on my big OLD dinosaur pc no one would think to steal. I hope not.

I have recently purchased an additional, pocket-size, external hard drive to keep an additional backup copy of my website, family photos, and stuff.

I also have rented a house with a garage that is inconspicuously situated in a nice neighborhood I am hoping theives will overlook. My income is limited, at this stage of my life. I really can't keep buying everything all over again. I did purchase a nice Android tablet. Now, if I can just get Filezilla on Android. Maybe another practical FTP client? Then, it could all be kept with me, much like a PDA "personal digital assistant" like my iPod Touch.
Last edited by CJD on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

CJD

Postby CJD » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:23 am

The Z-Packs Blast backpack is really looking like it has exceptional quality. Great features. Great specs.

The Small version of the Z-Packs Blast backpack is 45-liters. I am interested.

Big sticker price, but it appears worth it.

<sigh>

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:10 am

I was getting "sticker shock". However, I have been looking to replace favorites only, and that cuts down on expense.

You've had some big ticket "favorites" :mrgreen: Better play the lottery :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:23 pm

I am satisfied with the Timbuk2 Especial Tres Cycling Backpack 2014.

It may be be the most lightweight backpack. I think it is the toughest.

I was looking for a waterproof backpack for my amateur radio gear. I want to do SOTA Summits-On-The-Air.

I also want a backpack for brushcrashing, this time, for off-trail use.

This backpack, at 2.2 lbs., is at the upper limit for a lightweight backpack. That's okay. I am satisfied.

I was only commenting about the great lightweight backpacks available, now.
Last edited by ConnieD on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:58 pm

ConnieD wrote:I am satisfied with the Timbuk2 Especial Tres Cycling Backpack 2014.

It may be be the most lightweight backpack. I think it is the toughest.

I was looking for a waterproof backpack for my amateur radio gear. I want to do SOTA Summits-On-The-Air.

I also want a backpack for brushcrashing, this time, for off-trail use.

This backpack, at 2.5 lbs., is at the upper limit for a lightweight backpack. That's okay. I am satisfied.

I was only commenting about the great lightweight backpacks available, now.

OK! do your best to save some bucks.

When and where do you use your amateur radio gear?

What are your plans to keep your gear safe from theft? Was your apartment broken into while you were away on a trip?

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:12 pm

Everything was stolen, wall-to-wall. In addition, the truck, the travel trailer, and, one storage unit. I recovered the truck - trashed. I recovered the travel trailer - trashed. It was drug-criminals that didn't want anyone else around.

Now, I have a very un-remarkable small house. It is the ideal, for around here. Easy to keep heated, well-insulated so cool in hot weather. I am fixing it up. I have mini-blinds, IKEA furniture, even a small Walmart "leather" recliner. I purchased the frig-freezer I like. I have stocked-up the new frig-freezer and the old frig-freezer moved into the garage. I have a garage. The garage door is new, but too narrow. If I had an ATV or a small Jeep or a Samuri, I could get it thru the garage door. I have matched the trim paint for painting, in Spring. I planted Tree Peonies, Peonies, Dutch Iris, and Snow Drops this Fall. I worked to level the erosion of the driveway. I think I succeeded.

I love having a small house.

I do amateur radio everywhere: HF portable QRP. Now, I will be able to have a real QTH. Maybe the garage? Maybe the livingroom? For sure, out of that backpack. It is plenty tough for a no trail summit. No one summits around here, because of rotten "old" rock and no trails. It will require all of my skills. It will be fun.

I think the Timbuk2 Especial Tres Cycling Backpack 2014 mfg. is the same materials and quality as the messenger bags made by the son of a San Francisco bicycle shop owner I met, when I resided in San Francisco. It looks like it is. If it had a stretch mesh panel pocket, I don't think I would have any other backpack. They "do" custom-work. I might ask.

Edit: There is an add-on stretch mesh back panel pocket available from ZPack.
Last edited by ConnieD on Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks for the update....hope all will be safe from this day forward :D

Return to “BACKPACKS”