why choose a ul backpack?

Discuss commercial internal/external packs you have used and give your likes and dislikes.
irrationalsolutions

Re: why choose a ul backpack?

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:54 am

i know what you mean. i only took a hatchet on one real backpacking trip. i do a lot of outdoor stuff. i hike camp (hile to a site and stay there a few days). i car camp, i backpack and i dabble in bushcraft. so the gear is more of a general list. i pick and choose what i take each time. i actually have more than that but that is all i have with me now. the rest is in storage. what i really need to do is set up a few different packs for all the different activities but that is really expensive and a good bit of it is the same stuff.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Yeah, you could go the multiple pack route but you're right, it's expensive. If you want to do it cheaply, you could go the multiple list route. Make a gear list for each type of activity.

First create a master gear list with all the items and all the weights. Then, using items from the master list, create a sub list that is focused on one activity. After you've made all your different sub lists you can evaluate them for enhancement, weight reduction, and functionality.

You may find that to switch from one activity to another you could benefit from a new piece of gear or that you can simply swap some stuff out. If I was going to go car camping I'd bring a lot of the same items I bring hiking but could also include luxuries like a percolating coffee pot.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:29 am

Great idea! I like the list idea so simple why didn't I think of that? I am currently exploring the separate packs for different tasks idea and this will definately make it easier. However, I did find that I will still be using at least 2 different packs and found that when I acquired stuff to make my main pack I often bought items in multiples and can easily dedicate an item to a pack with out taking from another. For instance my first aid kit. I made another tonight for my day pack just putting extras i had from making my main one. I think I may even make another just to dedicate it to my car. Oh and thanks for the :DB: :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:17 am

Some things are worth having in multiples. :D
Myself, well, I'm kind of a cheapskate so most of my things are in singles. :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:49 pm

You may find that to switch from one activity to another you could benefit from a new piece of gear or that you can simply swap some stuff out. If I was going to go car camping I'd bring a lot of the same items I bring hiking but could also include luxuries like a percolating coffee pot.

There are 2 cup percolators and even 1 cup that can be used on a regular basis for backpcking. You can have the luxuries with you all the time :D

I made a DIY percolating insert for a 1 egg poacher pot. Worked slick as all get out. :geek:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:52 am

dlarson wrote:Some things are worth having in multiples. :D
Myself, well, I'm kind of a cheapskate so most of my things are in singles. :lol:

I have a friend that said the exact same thing...on our way to the nudey bar! :lol: :DB: :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:35 am

zelph wrote:There are 2 cup percolators and even 1 cup that can be used on a regular basis for backpcking. You can have the luxuries with you all the time :D

Yes, suppose I could. But not having it at all saves me weight. ;)
I just make cowboy coffee when I'm hiking and it tastes great too. I've gotten pretty good at it so I don't have to chew my coffee!

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:14 pm

dlarson wrote:
zelph wrote:There are 2 cup percolators and even 1 cup that can be used on a regular basis for backpcking. You can have the luxuries with you all the time :D

Yes, suppose I could. But not having it at all saves me weight. ;)
I just make cowboy coffee when I'm hiking and it tastes great too. I've gotten pretty good at it so I don't have to chew my coffee!

I would do it the same way. Dump the grounds in at the boil, stir and off the flame, let it cool and enjoy. :D

I hate extra parts. One piece stoves are winners ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

chaco taco

Postby chaco taco » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:00 pm

I am considering the Six Moon Traveller or the ULA Circuit. My gear is all UL besides my pack. I have a Nimbus Meridian but am think of going down to a 2 pound pack. WIll I lose durability if I go to a UL Pack?????

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:07 pm

If you are "ultralight" everywhere else..do you need the extra durability that much?I use a 2lb golite and use my closed cell pad around the inside of the pack for more support for the pack,throw everything else down the middle..and have been going "not-so-ultralight" at 25 lbs or so for everything for overnights...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “BACKPACKS”