Down or Synthetic?

Discuss commercial bags, quilts, hammock systems you have used and give weights, your likes and dislikes.
dlarson
Site Admin

Re: Down or Synthetic?

Postby dlarson » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks for your insight Mister Krabs. I'll look into that as another possible option!
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

gregb

Postby gregb » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:46 am

I've used an older synthetic mummy bag rated to 32F car camping but it's too large in it's attached stuff sack. Do you think I can compress it without damaging it?

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:41 pm

I'd compress it as much I could. As soon as you get to a site you open it up and it has plenty of time to expand again. At the end of the season open it completely and store under your bed.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

gregb

Postby gregb » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Thank you, I'll have to get a compression bag next. It's been washed and is in a large bag(too big). With two cats in the house I don't want it where it will collect cat hair and holes from their clawing :x

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:43 pm

I've had a heck of a time finding compression bags at thrift stores..finally have found two of them(both from sleeping bags).One of the Do-It-Yourself websites has instructions for making your own lighter compression sacks(1oz?)..just an idea..I've got to search that down again and make a few for the hammocks and tents I have.They use cord and knots verses nylon strapping and plastic cinchers..whatever works!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

gregb

Postby gregb » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:18 pm

Let me know about the diy sacks. Google isn't coming up with anything and the instructables site is down.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:28 pm

I can't find it either right now.Personally..I'd make some stuff sacks and sew a couple cross straps across the bottom(making a big X with the straps at 90 degrees)..then add a drawstring to the other end and a couple compression buckles over the draw string end instead of four straps and compression buckles attached to the bag.
The reason?..because that way there wouldn't be any force against stitching in the lightweight material,the straps being a continuous loop with the force more down on the top and sides.The strap is only pulling against itself which never would break,rip or tear out;no tension on the material of the sack..and less expensive to make,easier to sew,less compression buckles needed(only two instead of four,and you'd only have to loosen and slide the straps off the top to open the drawstring and bag.But that's just me..I'm lazy and cheap.. :lol:

I can draw you a picture if needed... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

gregb

Postby gregb » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:06 am

No picture needed I can see it ;). Thanks for the ideal.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:54 am

the compression sack that came with the down bag im using now (but will eplace as soon as i can) was a side to side compression sack. mine broke on the last trip. the strap ripped off the sack on one of the straps and the bucle on the other strap broke too.

personally i like the top to bottom comp sacks. but i did try to add the straps to the last sack to do the same thing you said but the straps kept trying to slip off. if you could overcome that its a good idea. personally i was too lazy at the time to do anything about it, then it broke so there was no point to it.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:28 am

the strap ripped off the sack

I think if the strap is a complete circle around the bag,it won't tear off the bag because it would be tearing against itself.One of the flaws I see in the commercial ones I have with 4 straps is that they pull against the material only at each end,attached with stitching to the bag itself,causing a lot of stress and possible tear-out at those points.
If I use two straps..I'll add some sleeves for them to go through near the drawstring of the bag also,keeping them on the bag rather than slipping off on their own.If you loosen them enough,you can roll the loose ends off the top and get into the bag.The biggest thing of course with only two straps would be to maintain enough room to cinch down the buckle without running into that additional guide loop on the top end.
I think with two straps compressing four sides..it should work okay.
When I get some time,I'll sew one up to check out the weight,compression,and strength of that idea...post the results and pics here.

Return to “Sleeping bag systems”