Down or Synthetic?

Discuss commercial bags, quilts, hammock systems you have used and give weights, your likes and dislikes.
irrationalsolutions

Re: Down or Synthetic?

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:29 am

the best one i have is a regular stuff sack with two caps. the one on the bottom is sewn on and the straps hold the top one one. its the best one i have but its too big for a down bag and a little heavier then i want. i bought it for a syn bag but i shold have bought the smallest one for a down bag. hind sight is 20/20. :lol:
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:33 pm

gregb..here's a couple commercial methods of making stuff sacks:

The one on the left is like what IR is talking about with a sewn on bottom that sprouts 4 straps out the sides and a top cap that is only connected to the rest by the straps and cinchers.Open the drawstring,put your sleeping bag in,close the drawstring,put the cap on and bear down on the four cinchers as tight as they will go.The other one..has a riound bottom sewn on and an X of the straps across that bottom.The top has a strap around the perimeter of the bag that has the other ends of the nylon straps sewn to it.It compresses only the bottom of the bag towards the top,the drawstring being 3" above the top nylon strap ring.
Flaws: a lot of sewing on the first one,a lot that can come loose,heavy oxford material for strength.You are limited to only the distance the cincher can go until it bottoms out against the other end,and it's heavy at 4oz.The other one..weighs 3oz,but only compresses the bottom of the bag,putting more stress on the top of the bag and the drawstring area.
Personally..I'd use the second bottom cross and add some small guides(short nylon pieces sewn 90 degrees to the straps) for the straps on top to run through,and continue the straps over the top in a continuous loop,stressing only the strong straps and the material only inward over the entire item.You could also get by with smaller straps,smaller cinchers,only 2 cinchers,and a lighter bag overall because of no stress to the actual bag material.
Sorry..I won't be making any for a while.I'm looking for some bargains on nylon strapping, really short on that right now and some projects I need to complete will use up more than I have.

Another thing..we get the daily paper here that always comes in reallylight weight plastic bags.Most items I'll put in those bags,squeeze the air out of them, and tie a loose knot in the end,keeping the items condensed in the vacuum of the bag..making for a lighter, tighter package.Those bags weigh nothing..or next to it.The sleeping bags go into the compression bags I have.The tents and hammocks are rolled tight then slipped into the same plastic ones,even if I have to do it in parts(fly,tent,hammock) separately to get them in there.I get about 30 free bags a month. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

gregb

Postby gregb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks Guy. I've seen pictures of bags like the one on the left. I think using a cinch on one side would cause the bag to curl to that side and you would have to work the bag under the tightened strap to compress the other side. What dia. are these bags? I wonder how strong the material will have to be using your idea of the continuous straps.

They only bag the paper around here if the weather is bad but I'll have to save a few.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:09 pm

They only bag the paper around here if the weather is bad but I'll have to save a few.

Well..I'm in WA so we get a LOT of bags..Besides..I do remodel work for some of the local newspaper district advisers..get all the bags I want. ;)
The blue compression sack is 24" circumference(25" rough before sewing)x18" high(probably 19-1/2 rough for the drawstring channel and sewing to the bottom piece)X 8" bottom(figure 9" diamter circle rough).
The other bag is a lot more complicated with a 7-1/2" finished circle top and bottom,with doubled layers for the nylon strap support area 3" to 4" at the points off the end for the top and bottom.The center is lighter nylon that is sewn to the bottom flat portion.The center portion is 26" in circumference by 15" high finished..more complicated and heavy than what it is worth to sew.If you are thinking of making that kind,I'll let you figure out the extra you need and the odd shape for the compression ring pieces from the pictures attached above.
Pulling to one side..Well,I'd do most of the compression with my body weight down on the top and sides and just cinch it down to hold it in that way.I don't think it would be a problem other than running into the guide nylon pieces with the cinch buckle but I could make the guide loops big enough for the buckles to go through those(just not fall off the top unless I want it to)...Myself..I'm not really concerned with it being a perfectly round item because "round" items waste too much space packed alongside other "round" items..in a "round" pack.I'd much rather it be able to be shaped to what I need to fit into a smaller more confined area.I'd rather shape it when I cinch it to what I need it to be.If I need a pancake,so be it! ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

gregb

Postby gregb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:33 pm

WOW :shock: Thanks for all the info. I also will try to copy the blue one. Maybe I'll get some material this weekend. I looked at Walmart but couldn't find any webbing.

gregb

Postby gregb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:10 pm

Well I found a stuff sack for a smaller bag and tried it out but this bag just wont compress small enough :( The 10" dia. sack would only compress to 16" with me sitting on it. So I'll be looking for a bag that compresses smaller this weekend. Hopefully I'll find a great deal at Dick's or the Coleman outlet.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:44 pm

The 10" dia. sack would only compress to 16" with me sitting on it.

Have you got a strap that you can put around it and tighten down to see if it will compress smaller?What are you trying to compress..a watermelon? :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:57 pm

Gregb..try this..stick the sleeping bag into a trash bag and stick a vacuum cleaner nozzle in there with your hand sealing the nozzle in the bag,turn it on and suck all the air out of it..just to see how really small you can compress the thing with that..It'll give you a good idea of what the minimum size you possibly can get will be.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Good idea RG.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

gregb

Postby gregb » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:37 pm

realityguy wrote:Have you got a strap that you can put around it and tighten down to see if it will compress smaller?What are you trying to compress..a watermelon? :lol:

What's funny about that is when it is compressed tight my girlfriend said it was the size of a large watermelon! I think it was the size of an uncompressed 40 degree synthetic bag. I'd have to strap it to the outside of my pack. I'll look again today for a low priced down bag. I don't want to wait till it's warm to get out for a hike.

Return to “Sleeping bag systems”