No sleeping bag needed here

Discuss commercial bags, quilts, hammock systems you have used and give weights, your likes and dislikes.
zelph

No sleeping bag needed here

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:55 pm

A quote from "The Maine Woods"

[13] Having reached the camp, about ten o'clock, we kindled our fire and went to bed. Each of us had a blanket, in which he lay on the fir-twigs, with his extremities toward the fire, but nothing over his head. It was worth the while to lie down in a country where you could afford such great fires; that was one whole side, and the bright side, of our world. We had first rolled up a large log some eighteen inches through and ten feet long, for a back-log, to last all night, and then piled on the trees to the height of three or four feet, no matter how green or damp. In fact, we burned as much wood that night as would, with economy and an air-tight stove, last a poor family in one of our cities all winter. It was very agreeable, as well as independent, this lying in the open air, and the fire kept our uncovered extremities warm enough. The Jesuit missionaries used to say, that, in their journeys with the Indians in Canada, they lay on a bed which had never been shaken up since the creation, unless by earthquakes. It is surprising with what impunity and comfort one who has always lain in a warm bed in a close apartment, and studiously avoided drafts of air, can lie down on the ground without a shelter, roll himself in a blanket, and sleep before a fire, in a frosty, autumn night, just after a long rain-storm, and even come soon to enjoy and value the fresh air.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: No sleeping bag needed here

Postby realityguy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Thoreau was quite a firebug.. :o

You two would have done well camping together.. :DB: :fire: :DP: ...:lol: .... :DBfire: :DBfire:

You haven't finished that book yet?.. :shock:

I've been looking for a good one to read but haven't found any decent books lately.Someone told me to find some Edward Abbey books..Nope...Someone's hoarding out there! :evil: I almost grabbed one called The North Coast..about living on the coast here back about 1850(first published way back around then)..I put it back.. :roll:
I get recommendations from the book buyers and reellers around here because iIgrab books off the cart for them until they show up...mostly text books for them.There was a lot of good Rock climbing,kayaking, and hiking books that came out yesterday..some in southwestern BC and some local books.I don't rock climb and my "hiking" book shelves are FULL.Wife will get pissy if I bring more home..can't hide them on full shelves.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm

I finished it a couple of times. Lots of good stuff in there. His primary reason for doing his trek was for botanical reasons........he and I would get along real well :D

Start reading and emptying your shelves ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:34 pm

If you wanna see "hiking decadence"..read this one :lol: --->

Sorry..I've only seen this copy and it doesn't leave the house...It is a very interesting book about these guys going across the Olympics in the middle of winter to beat the rush for the glory because several parties were going the following year.I don't know how they survived.. :lol: What an insane trip!
It's interesting if you've hiked some of the same trails..(during the summer and on TRAILS,I'm not stupid!)
The hunters amongst us will love this one,shooting anything that moved!..have you ever eaten bald eagle? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:14 pm

They were a crazy breed for sure. It's a guy thing :lol:

Return to “Sleeping bag systems”