White Box Stove Review

Enter your review of an item you have personnaly used.
Ridgerunner

Re: White Box Stove Review

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:33 pm

Another thought. How much fuel is used while the 75 second bloom is taking place versus the amount of fuel you just poured onto a primer plate or wick. Probably not a whole lot of difference in fuel consumption. And if you can't wait for an extra 40 or 50 seconds to start cooking maybe you should just have a cold meal instead and save another 30 seconds. JMO

I'm with you on that, Bill. If it takes 10 minutes to boil water on 1/2 ounce of alcohol, I have all the time in the world when I'm in the woods as opposed to running life by the clock at home. ;) We "Stovies are just looking at the quickest boil times on the least amount of fuel. The White Box does all that is required of an efficient, reliable stove.

Yep no see alcohol just put some drops of food coloring in you bottle i like green"

Food coloring works great for alcohol. Only problem is how about all those people who just flew into an airport and had to buy fuel at the nearest BPing store or gas station and don't have food coloring

A thought that comes to mind, is to carry some of those Easter egg coloring tablets to dye your fuel with. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:59 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:[

A thought that comes to mind, is to carry some of those Easter egg coloring tablets to dye your fuel with. ;)

Or some powdered food coloring in a small 2" ziplock
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

billinmt

Postby billinmt » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:12 am

zelph wrote:

Or would that be more stuff to loose.........

By the way you don't need the heat shield if you are on a non-combustible surface. I rarely use it but I include it with the stove just for people who don't understand that certain things under a stove can ignite.

Bill in MT

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:47 am

By the way you don't need the heat shield if you are on a non-combustible surface. I rarely use it but I include it with the stove just for people who don't understand that certain things under a stove can ignite.
Private message

Yep, melted one of those composite top picnic tables in the Smokys a few years ago :o :oops:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:24 am

billinmt wrote:
zelph wrote:

Or would that be more stuff to loose.........

Bill in MT

As soon as you get off the plane, buy your fuel, take the packet out of your pocket and dump it in the bottle etc.

You're right, one more thing to loose. forget about the coloring, use it straight up.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:06 pm

You're right, one more thing to loose. forget about the coloring, use it straight up.

Alot of folks sure do have a problem losing stuff around here. :lol: I bet there is someone out there who has left their sleeping bag at their previous campsite. :lol: :lol: We always make it a habit to check, recheck, and then have someone else check our camp sites before heading on down the trail. I did leave a hiking pole behind where I took a break on the trail---had to backtrack to find it. :oops:

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:27 pm

I will say this.

I've only fired mine twice. It's a good stove, performs as stated and the craftmanship is superb. Having worked with this material quite a bit, I would say the stove would last a long time and be very difficult to damage accidentally.

And Bill has the clearest, most sensible instructions in the business.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

billinmt

Postby billinmt » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:43 pm

White Box Stove instructions easier to read.

WHITE BOX STOVE INSTRUCTIONS

THIS IS NOT A TOY, USE WITH ADULT SUPERVISION ONLY

THIS STOVE WAS DESIGNED TO USE DENATURED ALCOHOL OR GAS LINE HEET (Methyl Alcohol) IN THE YELLOW BOTTLE

DO NOT USE COLEMAN FUEL, KEROSENE, DIESEL FUEL OR ANY TYPE OF GASOLINE PRODUCT. FOR YOUR SAFETY DO NOT USE THE STOVE INSIDE YOUR HOME, GARAGE, TENT OR OTHER CONFINED AREAS. DO NOT PLACE THIS STOVE ON A SURFACE THAT WILL BURN. KEEP ALL COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS AWAY FROM THE STOVE WHEN IN USE. TO SNUFF OUT AN UNWANTED FIRE, COVER THE STOVE WITH A POT OR PAN. DO NOT THROW WATER ON THE FIRE! FLAMES FROM THE BURNING ALCOHOL ARE VERY HARD TO SEE IN A BRIGHT ENVIRONMENT SO BE CAREFUL. DO NOT MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF FUEL.

CAUTION DO NOT FILL STOVE ABOVE THE SCORED RING ON THE INSIDE WALL. THIS STOVE WILL HOLD UP TO 2 OUNCES OF FUEL. IF YOU OVERFILL THE STOVE YOU WILL NOTICE FUEL COMING OUT OF THE SIDE HOLES. DO NOT LIGHT THE STOVE IN THIS CONDITION. EMPTY THE STOVE OUT AND WAIT UNTIL THE SPILLED FUEL EVAPORATES.
DIRECTIONS: THE WINDSCREEN AND HEAT SHIELD ARE FOLDED UP IN THE PACKAGING BOX. PLACE THE STOVE CENTERED ON TOP OF THE SQUARE HEAT SHIELD AND ON A SOLID LEVEL SURFACE. PRE-FIT THE WINDSCREEN AROUND YOUR COOKING POT SO THERE IS ABOUT A ¾” GAP BETWEEN THE POT AND WINDSCREEN, THE GAP ALLOWS FOR ADEQUATE AIR FLOW. AFTER IT IS PREFITTED FASTEN THE TWO OVERLAPPING ENDS OF THE WINDSCREEN WITH THE PAPER CLIP. IF YOU FIT THE WINDSCREEN TOO TIGHT AROUND THE POT YOU WILL NOT GET GOOD CIRCULATION AND THE STOVE WILL BE LESS EFFICIENT. BEFORE YOU LIGHT THE STOVE PUT THE FILLED COOK POT ON TOP OF THE STOVE TO SEE IF IT IS STABLE ENOUGH TO KEEP THE POT FROM TIPPING OVER AND ADJUST AS NECESSARY.
FILLING THE STOVE: DO NOT FILL THE STOVE ABOVE THE CIRCULAR RING ON THE INSIDE WALL.
LOOKING INTO THE OPEN TOP OF THE STOVE YOU WILL NOTICE THE INNER WALL LOOKS LIKE A NECK AND SHOULDER INVERTED. THROUGH THE LARGE HOLE IN THE TOP OF THE STOVE POUR IN THE FUEL UP TO A LEVEL EQUAL TO ONE-HALF THE WAY UP THE NARROW PART OF THE INSIDE WALL. THIS IS USUALLY ENOUGH FUEL TO BOIL 2 OR 3 CUPS OF COLD WATER. FILL IT ALL THE WAY UP THE NARROW PART AND YOU CAN BOIL UP TO 6 CUPS OF WATER. WITH A LITTLE EXPERIMENTING YOU WILL FIGURE OUT JUST HOW MUCH FUEL TO ADD TO THE STOVE TO BOIL DIFFERENT AMOUNTS OF WATER.

DO NOT FILL THE STOVE ABOVE THE CIRCULAR RING ON THE INSIDE WALL.

LIGHTING THE STOVE: HAVE YOUR COOK POT READY AND FILLED WITH WATER BEFORE LIGHTING THE STOVE.
TO LIGHT THE STOVE, HOLD A MATCH OR LIGHTER DOWN INTO THE LARGE TOP HOLE OF THE STOVE. YOU WILL HEAR A FAINT WISP OF NOISE WHEN THE ALCOHOL LIGHTS. BE CAREFUL AND DO NOT TOUCH THE STOVE AFTER LIGHTING. THE ALCOHOL FLAME IS HARD TO SEE IN BRIGHT LIGHT. BEFORE YOU PUT A POT ON THE STOVE, LET THE STOVE BURN UNTIL THE SIDE BURNER HOLES IGNITE AND PRODUCE AN EVEN BLUE FLAME. THE MORE FUEL YOU HAVE IN THE STOVE, THE LONGER IT TAKES TO VAPORIZE THE FUEL TO WORK CORRECTLY. WHEN THE SIDE BURNER HOLES ARE GOING FULL BLAST PLACE YOUR COOK POT CENTERED DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THE STOVE. DO NOT REMOVE THE POT FROM THE STOVE UNTIL AFTER THE POT IS FINISHED BOILING AND THE STOVE BURNS COMPLETELY OUT. BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF HEAT FROM THE SIDE BURNERS THE POT HANDLE MAY BE EXTREMELY HOT. DO NOT TOUCH THE STOVE FOR SEVERAL MINUTES, AS IT WILL CONTINUE TO BE VERY HOT.

HINT: IF YOU PLACE THE POT ON THE STOVE BEFORE THE BURNER HOLES ARE GOING FULL BLAST THE FLAME MAY GO OUT. IF THAT HAPPENS REMOVE THE POT AND RELIGHT. THE STOVE WILL BE EXTREMELY HOT SO BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE STOVE.

Bill in MT

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks Bill for the full size sheet :D

The light went on when I re-read oops post. He said put a few drops in the bottle.

So, before you leave to get on a plane, put a few drops in your empty fuel bottle.

Mags

Postby Mags » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:50 am

I finally checked my snail mail the other day. Lo and behold my stove arrived! I can picture me using this stove to play with. It still snowy in the high country, but maybe I'll do a an early spring trip now that the daylight is longer. Have to give this puppy a work out!
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

Return to “Equipment Reviews”