Rain Hat Ideas

Enter your review of an item you have personnaly used.
JesterJosev

Rain Hat Ideas

Postby JesterJosev » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:27 pm

Merry Christmas BPLite! I'm sitting here at work looking out the window at the clouds roll by, remembering my last winter hike. Winter on the West Coast can be a soggy affair, and keeping dry can be quite the task. For our arms, and legs we have all sorts of amazing new, light weight technologies that wick moisture, and control heat; but what about our heads? For us hikers our options include hoods, and hats. I despise hoods for two reasons, most of the time I have it up, it’s flopped over my brow so I’m ether looking at the inside of my hood, or at the ground. Secondly since heat rises, all the heat in my jacket collects in my hood creating a nice, warm sauna. As far as rain hats go, often they are bucket hats which have an unflattering Gilligan effect, despite their functionality. Or the “Seattle Sombrero”, which comes in various forms seemingly home on the decks of a “Deadliest Catch” vessel. Of all the options out there the one that I seem to find most interesting is the running rain cap . I like that its light, can be used to hold the brow of my rain jack hood away from my face, and is less of a hindrance when the clouds part and the rain dries up. I’m going to pick one of these up and do some experiments, so I’ll be sure to update with my results. Happy Holidays and Happy Hiking!
-Jesse
Last edited by JesterJosev on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realityguy

Re: Rain Hat Ideas

Postby realityguy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:48 pm

The only problem with ball caps and rain in this Pacific Northwest "neck of the woods" is the portion of rain that runs down the back of your neck while you are busy checking out the mud at your feet you are sloshing through. :lol: I do have a couple of the Seattle sombreros..In the summer time,I usually wear the ball caps with the full flap/shield over the neck and collar(fishing hats,"Bonefish flats" hat)..but usually in the sun and avoid foul weather hikes.That might be a good option if you can find a good waterproof one.I hate water running down the back of my neck. :roll:
Another thing in that weather to consider is the wet between your back and pack,especially if you use a separate pack cover to keep it dry...basically the same place but you end up with your backside entirely soaked with the funnel effect between your back and pack.Any avoidance of getting soaked there is a plus as far as I'm concerned.Hoods are good for avoiding that..on capes or something that will also cover your pack.That's okay..as long as the cape/jacket has a well fitting hood with a billl so it stays out of your eyes.
There are some high quality waterproof flyfishing jackets that fit better than most..waist-short for going over waders with full neoprene cuffs for dipping your hands in the water for tailing fish and keeping your sleeves dry,but wide enough inside to allow plenty of movement and storage for your fishing goodies underneath.They usually have vents in the back or sides,with zip open sleeves and other options for not overheating while doing strenuous exercise but plenty waterproof.I used to spend a lot of time wading rivers in winter with those for steelhead fishing..when you really needed to stay dry and waterproof from both ends.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:20 pm

I've always used a hood with a cap under it. It lets me see easily (stops the sag you described).

I have a goretex cap that looks like I'm on gilligans island but the brim is pretty small. It works good so long as your neckline is sealed up in some way. I don't mind my face getting wet but hate when water runs down inside my coat.

There's always the old standby. A cowboy hat. The were purpose designed to shed water.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:34 pm

With fishing I did the dual hat/hood also a lot of times..especially standing in rivers in the POURING rain.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:58 pm

One of these looks doable. Spray it with water repellant a few times. 8-)

http://www.shopbot.ca/ps-patagonia-vent ... 91916.html
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:29 pm

I have 2-3 of those..great in the summertime also with the nonwaterproof ones. For times of high temperatures,wet the back down in mountain streams and stay nice and cool and keeps the back of your neck from getting sunburned.We usually hike in the summer with handtowels soaked and wrapped around our necks,refresh them about every mile in a new stream.It's amazing how many sweaty people walk by that look like they are dying from the heat that say "Hello"..then notice the towels and say.."Hey..why didn't we think of that!?" :shock: :lol:

Definitely they will be "next-timers"...

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Patagonia Vented Broadbill Cap.

Nice hat.

I have a Columbia hat, without vents, that looks like that. It has a "hat keeper" clip attached to the back brim that has saved me my hat more than once.

In Washington State, I used to wear an oilskins souwester fisherman's hat around backward, the long bill in front. It kept the rain off my eyeglasses.

In Montana, I have no cowboy hat. I usually wear a baseball cap to hold my long straight hair back and, if it rains or is cold, I pull up my jacket hood over it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:27 pm

This past summer I met a long distance biker while camping. She wore a cool looking platypus billed hat that was doubled front and back. I'll try again to find a photo of one. She started out in norther MN and was headed for Arizona. She was a lean mean looking machine :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Equipment Reviews”