leatherman super tool

Enter your review of an item you have personnaly used.
irrationalsolutions

Re: leatherman super tool

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:02 pm

what do you mean by the knife blade is upside down? the only thing i can think of is on like the super tool the blade opens down but you have to fold the tool back up to use it without the tool getting in the way. at that point the blade is up. thats all i can think of, is that what you are talking about?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:19 pm

i may not be able to explain this without pics, but i'll try.
on an upside-down tool the off-side handle gets in the way of a full downward cut. the sharp edge of the blade is on the wrong side when the blade is open.
even if i took pics, i couldn't illistrate this, cause i don't have a bad one to use as a comparison.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:24 pm

ok i think i get it. like with my super tool when you open the knife blade and close the tool up to use the knife, the oppisite side of the handle is in front of the cutting edge of the blade. which like you said it will sometimes gets in the way of a full cut. i dont really have that problem, since i always carry a knife too. is that right?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:23 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:ok i think i get it. like with my super tool when you open the knife blade and close the tool up to use the knife, the oppisite side of the handle is in front of the cutting edge of the blade. which like you said it will sometimes gets in the way of a full cut. i dont really have that problem, since i always carry a knife too. is that right?

i think you got it IRA. except for the part that we aren't supposed to carry two tools that do the same job. rather, one tool to do two jobs. (('s ok. ;) i do it to. ;) ))

Daren......

:P :mrgreen:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

beemerphill

Postby beemerphill » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:06 am

I'm looking over a bunch of old threads, and stumbled on this one. It might be a bit late, but I am going to throw my 2 cents in too. I have one of the really old original basic Leathermans. After years of serious abuse I broke it. When I sent it in I was not expecting them to fix it. It was old, and obviously abused. Two weeks later, a brand new one arrived in the mail. No questions, and no wait. A couple of years later, a friend gave me a compact Leatherman. This is like the original basic one, but folds in half to make it really small. This one had been "worked on" by an idiot who really messed it up. That one got sent in with no expectation also, and again, a brand new one arrived in the mail in a short time. If there is a company with a better warranty and repair policy, let me know. These guys make a quality product, and back it up 100%.

:DB: :DB: :DB:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:16 am

BP, I had the same results when mine broke. I have another one to return that I overtorqued the flathead and broke it. Great company!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Arson

Postby Arson » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:39 pm

I can't believe I just came across this post. I just ordered a Leatherman Charge ALX for work at the Fire Department. The ALX has a rescue hook in-lieu of scissors. I've been carring a Leatherman Squirt S4 for years, and I love it. I hope the ALX is just the ticket for years of cutting seatbelts, cloths removal, battery terminal screws, and anything else I can think of. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:51 pm

I carry a belt cutting tool in my car. never know when I might need one. Hope I never do ;)

The ALX sure has some nice tools. The knife hook looks like it might serve as a belt cutter.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:11 am

Arson wrote:I can't believe I just came across this post. I just ordered a Leatherman Charge ALX for work at the Fire Department. The ALX has a rescue hook in-lieu of scissors. I've been carring a Leatherman Squirt S4 for years, and I love it. I hope the ALX is just the ticket for years of cutting seatbelts, cloths removal, battery terminal screws, and anything else I can think of. :D

Arson, now that you have had your ALX for awhile, is it what you were hoping for? Does the rescue hook do all you thought it might?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Equipment Reviews”