leatherman super tool

Enter your review of an item you have personnaly used.
irrationalsolutions

leatherman super tool

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:12 pm

i have had my leatherman super tool for more than 10 years. i've never had a problem with it. i've used it at work, in the woods on camping trips and in the military. it worked a lot better than expected every time i needed it. the only complaint i have ever had with it is using the pliers. the edges of the handle you hold while using them arent rolled and feel like they are cutting into your hand. they have since fixed that porblem on newer models. at some point recently mine broke. something i understand hardly ever happens. so it was time to test the only thing on the tool i hadnt used yet, the 25 year warranty. i emailed the company and told them what happened. one of the pins that hold the tools broke and i lost all the tools on that side. they sent me the info on sending it to the warranty department. off in the mail it went, that was a few weeks ago. today it arrived back to me in the mail. they didnt send me the new model which i didnt care about but they did replace all the tools even the ones on the side that didnt break and get lost. they also included a letter saying they were sorry for the wait but they got behind because of the holidays. i send it off less then 6 weeks ago. over all i have to say that i love the tool and would give it a 9.9 out of 10, the only deduction is because of the non-rolled edge on this model. as far as the service and warrant is concerned i give it a 10 out of 10.

price (when i bought it over 10 years ago) - $50
included - leather holder with a brass snap and belt loop
tools - long nose pliers, wire cutters, file, 3 diff. sizes flat head screw drivers, phillips head screw driver, awl, straight edge knife. surraded (sp) knife, saw, can opener,small lanyard loop, and a ruler on the handle. there is a thing under the pliers the i'm not sure what it is but it looks like and works great as an electrical crimper
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Re: leatherman super tool

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:45 pm

That's good news that you were able to get it repaired without a hassel. Mine is still going strong as ever after ? I can't remember how old it is :roll: My daughters gave it to me for Christmas and it is my favorite all purpose tool on my woodland wanderings, camping and when ever I need that needlenose pliers :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:56 pm

i've had my eye on the new "Skeletool" but haven't bought one yet.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:36 am

I have several multitools: Gerber, Leatherman, Buck, Sheffield. My first was a Leatherman which I preferred over the original Gerber as the Gerber could pinch a blood blister into your hand if you slipped off a nut. The bad part of the Leatherman was that the blades did not lock and the screw driver tool would collapse when turning. The Leatherman Super Tool addressed that problem with all locking blades. I used mine so much that I wore out the leather sheath that came with it. eventually, I broke a tip on the flathead screwdriver. I sent it back and they replaced the whole unit free of charge. I have another one that I have broke the same screwdriver tip and need to send it in. The screw driver tips are NOT meant for heavy torque operations and will bend or break:oops: That Leatherman SuperTool is my favorite. I carry a Leatherman Micra on my keychain 24/7 and use a Gerber Lightweight model while at work. Leathermans Guarantee is tops in my book.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:46 am

Do you have the info for sending it in. I have my original one I got when they first came out sitting in my tool box. I broke the end off of one of the needle nose part of the pliers and one side has loosened up so the pliers don't stay locked open so they don't function properly. I use my newer one most of the time and really can't figure out what I did to get the original in such a condition seeing how much abuse I put on the newer one every day. Glad to here things worked out for you. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:04 am

Pure Mahem wrote:Do you have the info for sending it in. I have my original one I got when they first came out sitting in my tool box. I broke the end off of one of the needle nose part of the pliers and one side has loosened up so the pliers don't stay locked open so they don't function properly. I use my newer one most of the time and really can't figure out what I did to get the original in such a condition seeing how much abuse I put on the newer one every day. Glad to here things worked out for you. :mrgreen:

Just go to their web site. I believe there is procedures there for returning your Leatherman.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:20 pm

Someone mentioned being "pinched" :D I've had that happen a time or two :( blood blisters can be expected :roll:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:16 pm

At one time where i use to work about ever 5 years or so thay ask how many would like a leathermen i never order one had no use for one. But on my last day at work they gave me one its on the dash of my car and all it has done so far clean my finger nails :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:47 am

DarenN wrote:i've had my eye on the new "Skeletool" but haven't bought one yet.

i picked one up yesterday. very nice tool. well made (in the U.S.A.). one of the things that really pisses me off about some expensive multi-tools is that the knife blade is upside down. the Skeletool is made properly, unlike some of the Gerbers i've seen.

http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/f ... etool.aspx

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:45 pm

DarenN wrote:
DarenN wrote:i've had my eye on the new "Skeletool" but haven't bought one yet.

i picked one up yesterday. very nice tool. well made (in the U.S.A.). one of the things that really pisses me off about some expensive multi-tools is that the knife blade is upside down. the Skeletool is made properly, unlike some of the Gerbers i've seen.

http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/f ... etool.aspx

Daren........

Looks really nice, especially with the recurve handle when it's opened with the pliers. Looks tacktical!!!! :D Nice purchase, lucky :mrgreen:

Return to “Equipment Reviews”