base layer clothing

Enter your review of an item you have personnaly used.
DarenN

base layer clothing

Postby DarenN » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:07 pm

polypro base layer clothing is the way to go. warm, sweat wicking, fast drying. but be very careful around the fire! i found out today just how fast this stuff burns. under a flannel shirt i was wearing a ploypro long sleeved t-shirt. the project i was working on required a bit of welding and i never even thought about the flammability of my clothing, i just grabbed my gun and started welding. a spark got past the flannel and ignited the polypro just above my belt about halfway between front-center and hip. not only did it burn fast and hot, it kinda melted and stuck to my skin. ouch!! i'm ok but it will take a while to heal. medical attention was not nesseccary. i administered my own first aid and continued my work.

i'm posting this as a public service. be very careful around the campfire if you are wearing polypro clothing.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

hoz

Re: base layer clothing

Postby hoz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:45 pm

I've got several polypro sets. After several days in the bush they begin to smell like "Ole Yellers" hind end. Rinsing them out doesn't help either. It takes soap and hot water. I also noticed they don't keep me warm unless they are layered beneath something.

Don't put them in a dryer on high heat either. The polypro melts a little and they get hard and scratchy. I started hanging them on a line right out of the wash. With a good spin cycle they are usually dry pretty quick.

Wool is still the best way to go. The new Smartwool underwear is great but pricey. Last weekend the local Goodwill had 1/2 off and we headed down there to look for bargains. I found 2 wool sweaters (one shetland wool) for a buck a piece and a summer weight pair of wool pants for $2.00 that will make a great hiking pant after some modification.

rik_uk3

Postby rik_uk3 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Its sad to admit that UK bushcrafting is becoming fashion led. You 'have to have' this or that bit of kit and must have this label on it. You go for a weekend camp and find yourself surrounded by green clones, all in the same gear; it is indeed sad to see. I like wool, and 'the' label to have in the UK is Swanddri wools shirts and jackets, very nice they are too but are extremely expensive. This last year I've picked up a few Pendleton wool shirts off eBay, all used but in very good condition. I can get four Pendleton's for the price of one new swanni shirt and that suits me just fine, I've not paid more than $20 including shipping where a swanni will cost me a minimum (new) of $75 plus shipping.

Base layer in winter I tend to use a cotton tee shirt (I know, you shouldn't) with a merino crew neck sweater over that, then shirt on top of that, often with a wool jumper on top. To complete the shell I'll use Gortex or a down jacket. I like the M65 trousers too, usualy with a pair of long john's underneath, typical day clothing would be something like this with the families newest bushcrafter, first grand child, Jacob

Richard
South Wales
UK

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Fri May 29, 2009 2:44 pm

This past year I started using Walmart's underarmor cold gear copy instead of duofolds.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10263202

I like them, and paid about 12$ each for the 1/4 zip top and pants. I like them much better than polypro. Typical winter layers included that set, wool sweater, and hard shell pants/jacket.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri May 29, 2009 5:53 pm

I've got several polypro sets. After several days in the bush they begin to smell like "Ole Yellers" hind end...

:lol: ..I recently picked up a copy of Trey Comb's "Steelhead Flyfishing" book and started reading it..He says basically the same thing(add damp waders to the picture ...EWWW! :o ) and takes an extra set along to wash/dry one while wearing the other on flyouts for fishing..He recommends the Patagonia Capilene which doesn't seem to have the same problem...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:15 am

Everything is "Fashion Led" and I do mean "Everything" Look at young bushcrafter Jacob, where is his Pendleton???? :D (by the way, congrats on your first grandson) Even little Jacob has fashion "Camo" outer layer :mrgreen: On his little head he has a "Chicago Bears" head gear. Gramps is teaching him the way to start out with a winning team. Hooorah!!!! for gramps rik_uk3 :D

Thanks Daren for the Heads-Up on the flammability of the polypro base layer material. Glad you were able to get by with your own medical treatment. Phew!!! close call.

I use 100 percent nylon as a base. I'll get a name for it and post it. When it's wet it feels good and there is no resistance in movement, dries super fast. Next layer is wool and then comes the feathers of the goose.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:31 am

Kid's get lost easy enough on their own..do you really want to put them in camo? :o :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Equipment Reviews”