Fire Making Skills

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
DarenN

Re: Fire Making Skills

Postby DarenN » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:56 pm

Allen wrote:

Daren,
That's a great collection of firestarting tools! Thanks for the pic! :)

I've been thinking about this........
all these things, and others, are just tools that can start a fire, but the most important tool is your skill as a maker of fire. in tough conditions, and lacking the skills, you're still screwed no matter how many tools you have.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

russb

Postby russb » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:27 pm

DarenN wrote:
Allen wrote:

Daren,
That's a great collection of firestarting tools! Thanks for the pic! :)

I've been thinking about this........
all these things, and others, are just tools that can start a fire, but the most important tool is your skill as a maker of fire. in tough conditions, and lacking the skills, you're still screwed no matter how many tools you have.

Daren........

So true.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:15 pm

Being able to make fire in an emergency situation will save your life. Hypothermia kills. Here in the U S A you are likely to be found in several days in most cases. You won't starve to death but you could die of hypothermia in two. You don't need to know how to snare little bunnies or fish for little minnows. You need to know how to stay warm.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Postby Allen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 am

A friend who smokes gave me a handfull of empty Bic lighters today, so i could remove the flints.
Man,they're huge. Too big to throw away. I'm gonna make another fire rod from them.

I've noticed No one (unless I missed it) mentioned using a magnifing glass to start a fire.
I've done that before.
I have a couple of those shaker LED flashlights. Faraday lights?
They have a decent plastic magnifing lens on them.
I'll try to start a fire with one of those lens this weekend. If it works I'll tell You Guys.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:13 am

Allen wrote:A friend who smokes gave me a handfull of empty Bic lighters today, so i could remove the flints.
Man,they're huge. Too big to throw away. I'm gonna make another fire rod from them.

I've noticed No one (unless I missed it) mentioned using a magnifing glass to start a fire.
I've done that before.
I have a couple of those shaker LED flashlights. Faraday lights?
They have a decent plastic magnifing lens on them.
I'll try to start a fire with one of those lens this weekend. If it works I'll tell You Guys.

Those flashlites are the coolest and the bestest for emergency bugout bags.

I never had enough patience to start a fire with a magnifying glass. It would get to the "almost" starting and then my hand would move an 1/8 of an inch or so and then no more smoke :D

Have patience Allen and good luck. I may build a frame for my magnifier and give it a try to boil water again. Here is what the magnifier looks like: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50

Allen

Postby Allen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:58 am

That's a nice Lens zelph!

I've got some high quality jeweler's loops that I've built fires with. (I know how to cut gem stones)
but I thought one of the plastic lenses on the flashlight would be worth a try.
I think the best way to save weight in a backpack is to carry as many multitasking tools as possible.

Cheers!

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:13 pm

Allen wrote:That's a nice Lens zelph!

I've got some high quality jeweler's loops that I've built fires with. (I know how to cut gem stones)
but I thought one of the plastic lenses on the flashlight would be worth a try.
I think the best way to save weight in a backpack is to carry as many multitasking tools as possible.

Cheers!

Multi-tasking is the way we want to go. I've attached these little flint firestarters on my jacket and pack zippers. In my altoids emergency kit, and in my grab-n-run bag (bugout bag)

fingerlakeshiker

Postby fingerlakeshiker » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:46 pm

fire is cool.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:08 pm

fingerlakeshiker wrote:fire is cool.

It's way cool!!! :D

While you've been hiking in the fingerlakes region have you come across any rmains of ancient rock formations that would indicate it was a fortification of the ancient inhabitants of that region? New York State has many many such remains of the ancient ones. Nice State!!!!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:00 pm

Magnifying lens is only good if the sun is out--useless on cloudydays and night time. Might justify packing it as a double purpose tool---can also help read tiny instructions on snake bite kit ! :lol:

Made a few like Zelph's --works good but sometimes the flint works loose. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”