Fire Making Skills

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
dlarson
Site Admin

Re: Fire Making Skills

Postby dlarson » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:09 am

Zelph, I like your little flints. Have you tried using wire terminals instead of shelf supports? I might try making some.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:52 am

dlarson wrote:Zelph, I like your little flints. Have you tried using wire terminals instead of shelf supports? I might try making some.

Hi there dlarson, I've tried solderless terminals and found that they are too soft and don't retain their grip around the smooth flint. The terminal end bends real easy, not a sure grip feeling to them.

Give it a try and see how they work out for you and give us your opinion on them.

Ridgerunner, I've tried with a magnifying glass several times and find it difficult to start a fire with. If my life depended on it I think I would be able to. :mrgreen: You're right about being able to read the small print on the instructions of a snake bite kit. :)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:32 am

zelph wrote:
dlarson wrote:Zelph, I like your little flints. Have you tried using wire terminals instead of shelf supports? I might try making some.

Hi there dlarson, I've tried solderless terminals and found that they are too soft and don't retain their grip around the smooth flint. The terminal end bends real easy, not a sure grip feeling to them.

Give it a try and see how they work out for you and give us your opinion on them.

Ridgerunner, I've tried with a magnifying glass several times and find it difficult to start a fire with. If my life depended on it I think I would be able to. :mrgreen: You're right about being able to read the small print on the instructions of a snake bite kit. :)

Yep i use to do it all the time magnifying glass when i was a kid but i am not kid anymore dam. :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:53 am

zelph wrote:This is the best technique for starting your tinder on fire with the ferrocerium rod and a knife.

This movie shows the technique. Spring is here, time to start practicing your fire making skills. Always have the means to start a fire when your out on a hike in remote areas. Also take wih you the knowledge on How To Make a Fire. Practice, practice, practice. It's fun

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... eldemo.flv

Hi Guys!
I've been practicing zelph's method, and it works great. I place the tinder on the other side of the knife
and push the knife AWAY from me and towards the place i want the fire (Instead of my tee shirt :D )
I think that a small piece of hacksaw blade is the best striker tool for this method.

I picked up a little brass striker gizmo from the Walmart camping section. It is made to go on a lantern.
You twist a little handle and it throws a shower of sparks. You can even light a candle with it.
It costs about 3.00. Sorry I don't have a pic. It's a little heavy, but there are a lot of metal pieces
that can be removed, since You won't be mounting it to a lantern.

I've also been using the Matchheads fron paper matches as tinder. They work better (IMHO) than
Magnesium, are a lot easier to use.

Cheers!

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Match Heads are prone to absorbing water on humid days :( . Magnesium likes water :D

GAGA

Postby GAGA » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:59 am

best fire starter on the planet is a piece of plastic,whatever plastic object it never gets wet or impregnated with water and plastic garbage is everywhere, and if you don`t find some plastic around you wait and the wind will bring you a plastic bag (a walmart plastic bag :D )
Last edited by GAGA on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:25 am

GAGA wrote:best fire starter on the planet is a piece of plastic,whatever plastic object it newer gets wet or impregnated with water and plastic garbage is everywhere, and if you don`t find some plastic around you wait and the wind will brig you a plastic bag (a walmart plastic bag :D )

You are so right, they are everywhere :(

pohh

Postby pohh » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:39 pm

zelph wrote:

(your knife will do for the steel, though some such fire starters come with their own). This is a practically unlimited resource that won't run out and that works in any weather.

knife will do for the steel? what kind of knife?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:06 pm

pohh wrote:
zelph wrote:

(your knife will do for the steel, though some such fire starters come with their own). This is a practically unlimited resource that won't run out and that works in any weather.

knife will do for the steel? what kind of knife?

A butterfly knife :DB: :DP: :DP:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:10 pm

A butterfly knife will do....dig it deep into the ferro rod, make the steel cringe under the searing heat. Make the butterfly wish it were back in the ground as raw ore. Hold it at a 90 degree angle so it chatters and makes your teeth cringe. :lol:

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”