Fire Making Skills

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
Nightwalker

Re: Fire Making Skills

Postby Nightwalker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 am

I saw a magnesium fire starter at W-Mart last night. Those suckers throw huge amounts of sparks. In an emergency, few things would work better.
Just Hike!

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:15 pm

Nightwalker wrote:I saw a magnesium fire starter at W-Mart last night. Those suckers throw huge amounts of sparks. In an emergency, few things would work better.

The rod on those things are huge.

Take a look at the litte metal bar attached to my keyring with the red plastic gizmo. It has half circle cut out shape in it that conforms to the diameter of the ferocerium rod on the magnesium fire starter. Try to picture in your mind the amount of surface being touched by the arch compared to the edge of a knife blade that is normally used on a fire starter. You should see the massive amount of sparks I generate with that little thing.

As soon as I can find the time I'll show you how that little bar fits on the rod and also tell you where you can get one of them.

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:12 pm

Just be careful with using those magnesium fire starters in emergency situations. The one they sell at walmart is well known for having the ferrocerrium rod falling off of it. It seems the epoxy has a tendency to let go after some time. There is another one made that is made for the army that doesn't have this problem. Just giving a heads up, I remember reading this in a product review; maybe on bplmagazine, I think, I can't remember where I read it. But I know there was a bunch of people testing them and all the ones except the one made for the army, from I think it was Doan's machine I know it begain with a D, would lose their flint from the epoxy letting go. Though you might wanted to know that. I'll see if I can find a link to the good one. I usually just carry a good size ferrocerrium rod in my pocket. There's a few thing I don't leave home with out Knife, ferrocerrium rod, wallet, and car keys. If I know I'm going walking I also take a 35mm film canister stuffed with ten vaseline soaked cotton balls. There are very few things in this world I have ever scene that once you light them they burn for twenty minutes and you can't freakin blow em out, and they still work if you get em wet. also inexpensive.

here's the link notice the writing on the front of it!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/ ... tarter.jpg
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:35 am

I had heard also about the rods coming of the mag bar.

It is very time consuming to shave off enough magnesium to be of use in fire starting. Mag. lights easily and burns fast when you only have a small pile of it the size of a dime. I dissapears quickly. 1 tablespoon full will start a fire in the rainiest, wetest conditions if you know how.

These photos show 1 tbls of magnesium sealded in a plastic pouch and flattened to fit in my wallet. Flattened out it is the size of a credit card. Shown also are rocket ignitors used with a nine volt battery as the source of electricity to make them work. The wires sticking out from under the packet of magnesium are the ingnitor wires. This is just another means of starting your life saving fire. If you carry it with always and know how to use it, your chances of survival in an emergency situation have improved greatly.

I'm just like PureMehem, I don't leave home with out my wallet and my keys. On my key ring is the flint, in my wallet is the steel(razor blade) and magnesium shavings ready to go. Any time I go to a government buiding I leave my wallet in the car. :mrgreen:

Notice the little DIY l.e.d flashlite on top of the 9v battery.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:19 pm

This is the best technique for starting your tinder on fire with the ferrocerium rod and a knife.

This movie shows the technique. Spring is here, time to start practicing your fire making skills. Always have the means to start a fire when your out on a hike in remote areas. Also take wih you the knowledge on How To Make a Fire. Practice, practice, practice. It's fun

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... eldemo.flv

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:55 pm

good video, Zelph. I like fire! :D
i saw the jute twine and cotton ball videos on utube a while ago (i think they were yours?) they got me going on fire starting.
here's a bunch of options:

cotton balls dipped in gelled alcohol and packed in a matchbox.
a box of jute pieces.
fatwood pine stick and it's sawdust.
coglins firestick.
" wind- and water-proof matches.
some strikers.
Redbird "strike anywhere" matches.
(forgot to put my char-cloth in the pic)

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:52 pm

I'll add to the list trick birthday candles(the kind that can't be blown out) as my personal favorite.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

russb

Postby russb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:37 pm

I'll add birchbark to the list.

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:53 pm

Zelph,
Thanks for the video! I'll try Your method tonight. I like Your Homemade Pack light too. If You get a chance
sometime, some details would be great. :)

Daren,
That's a great collection of firestarting tools! Thanks for the pic! :)

Skidsteer,
Thanks for the candle tip! :)

Russ,
Thanks for the birch bark tip! :)

Have You Guys ever tried an upside down fire? It's on My list of things to try.
This video kinda explains it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SHBRVs1 ... re=related

russb

Postby russb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:31 pm

Allen,

I never tried an upside down fire. As I understand it, that is the basic idea in the wood gasifier stoves. My experience with wood fires in the outdoors is that you can rarely find the nicest driest seasoned wood and kindling that seems to be necessary for the upside down fire. You can bet I will still try though. Thanks for the link to the video.

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”