Water Storage came in handy

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
zelph

Water Storage came in handy

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:43 pm

I recently had my submersable well water pump go bad on me. Not enough funds to have it replaced commercially so I opted to do it myself. It took me 1 week to DIY and had to rely on the 5 gallon containers of water I have had stored in my basement. Why did it take me so long? had to wait for a frient to come over and help. 2 hours for my wife, friend and I to pull it and replace. 2 hours prep time for me to get everything ready.

10 five gallon containers lasted me 7 days. Most of it was used to flush the toilet. Purchased water was used for drinking and cooking.

Some melted snow water was used also for flushing. Wood burner in living room did good :) I have a ss rectangular deep pan that holds 3.5 gallons of water on the wood burner at all time for adding moisture to the air. Melts snow really nice.

It's good to have emergency supplies on hand. Never know when you'll need your supplies. ;)

You city folk have needs for emergency supplies also. ;) A major snow storm can wipe out the grocery store shelves in 3 days or less.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: Water Storage came in handy

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm still kickin. All that outside work got to me. :mrgreen: Got the flu or some other cold type ailment that's slowed me down :roll:

Been slow around here. Nobody got anything in the works. Slow as molasses :(

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:08 pm

If you're lucky enough the water table in your well can be reached by a hand pump. Sure saves a lot of headache while you wait for the muscle to arrive. I think a hand pump is good to ~30ft. My well was only 100ft to the bottom and the pump could be pulled up by one person. Not an easy thing to do but possible if you use a rope like a slip knot. Pull, tie off, pull some more.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Early this spring I'll put the hand pump line in along side the main line to a length of 30'. I have to machine a custom cover plate to cap the well casing. A cap that will have the hand pump attached to it. It'll make me feel kinda like a pioneer pumping water with a pitcher hand pump. :)

My house was built between 1890 - 1900. I have a hand dug, limestone lined well that was probably put in when the house was built. I was told that the well was a popular stopping place for travelers along the road in front of my house, to water their horses.

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:14 pm

zelph wrote:Early this spring I'll put the hand pump line in along side the main line to a length of 30'. I have to machine a custom cover plate to cap the well casing. A cap that will have the hand pump attached to it. It'll make me feel kinda like a pioneer pumping water with a pitcher hand pump. :)

My house was built between 1890 - 1900. I have a hand dug, limestone lined well that was probably put in when the house was built. I was told that the well was a popular stopping place for travelers along the road in front of my house, to water their horses.

You need a metal detector for that well area. No telling what kind of history is buried along a well traveled route like that.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:14 pm

You need a metal detector for that well area. No telling what kind of history is buried along a well traveled route like that.

Good idea. This summer I'll get my detector out and swing it around for an hour or so. In my front yard there was a disturbed area that my daughter found a early 1900's "half dime" I have found lots of early wheat pennies. Once I found a sterling silver(solid) fork all mangled up as if a lawn mower met up with it at some point or maybe a garden tiller. The well area should have something good if I take my time searching.

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”