Sodium Percarbonate

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
RonM

Sodium Percarbonate

Postby RonM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:28 pm

I have a cousin that is keeping hydrogen peroxide stored for use in disinfecting drinking water. My understanding of H202 is that it degrades with time and temperature. I got to thinking about oxyclean since it is also an oxidizing agent - but presumably more stable. Then I found out about oxyboost that is supposed to be pure sodium percarbonate with no perfumes or fillers. Has anyone seen information on using sodium percarbonate as a drinking water disinfectant?

Update -
Well I've been reading as much as I can find about the subject. Basically sodium percarbonate in water breaks down to sodium ions, carbonate ions and hydrogen peroxide. The EPA (if we can believe them :D) says that hydrogen peroxide is not a very good microbiocide (at least with respect to other chemicals such as chlorine and ozone). So it seems that sodium percarbonate (and hydrogen peroxide) probably wouldn't work very well even in high concentrations.

I guess I will stick with filtering and as a backup 68% calcium hypochlorite powder or crystals (pool shock).
Last edited by RonM on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire"

zelph

Re: Sodium Percarbonate

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:36 pm

I don't have any but will surely help in finding out. :D Interesting idea.

I will depend a lot on fire for disinfecting water when necessary. I have a good size ceramic water filter unit that is suppose to take out the smallest of nasty stuff.

Edit: found this

http://kon-tent.blogspot.com/2009/08/bl ... is-it.html

Sodium hypochlorite is a chemical compound with the formula NaClO. Sodium hypochlorite solution, commonly known as bleach, is frequently used as a disinfectant or a bleaching agent

Sodium percarbonate is a white crystalline water-soluble adduct of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. Sodium percarbonate is the active ingredient in many powdered oxygen eco-friendly bleach products, including OxiClean.
Is bleach safe on the environment? Sodium hypochlorite has been used for the disinfection of drinking water, at a concentration equivalent to about 1 liter of household bleach per 4000 liters of water is used. For emergency disinfection, the United States Environmental Protection Agency recommends the use of 2 drops of 5%ac household bleach per quart of water. If the treated water doesn't smell of bleach, 2 more drops are to be added.

Here is the info on the Material Safety Data Sheet:

http://www.actichem.com.au/carpet/MSDS/ ... %203pg.pdf
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

RonM

Postby RonM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:36 pm

zelph wrote:I don't have any but will surely help in finding out. :D Interesting idea.

I will depend a lot on fire for disinfecting water when necessary. I have a good size ceramic water filter unit that is suppose to take out the smallest of nasty stuff.

Yeah, I expect to use filters and hot water too. I suspect they don't like the chlorine taste.

I discouraged him from going the H2O2 route because of degradeability. Bleach from what I read degrades fairly quickly too. So i bought 6 1# packs of pool shock (68% calcium hypochlorite) to keep on hand. The sodium percarbonate (oxygen bleach) idea seemed interesting - disinfecting and no chlorine to deal with. The little bit I read about chlorine dioxide seemed to imply that it is an oxygen active type disinfectant. But that too sounds like it will degrade after opening, and is seems fairly expensive - ok for short term use, Here is the link to the sodium percarbonate that I found - http://www.textfiles.com/uploads/oxiclean.txt. The guy has some mistakes in the text - sodium carbonate is not baking soda (sodium bi carbonate).

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:58 pm

It seems the product is a good choice for water purification. That's the short version of what we read. One of the most powerful cleaners we have is water. Universal solvent. Water in it's purest form is corrosive. :o One of the best stain removers that I know of is windex. Spray it on the spot, let sit for 10 min, place 4-5 layers of "bounty" paper towels over the spot, press firmly on the towels with bottom of foot/shoe for 1-2 min to absorb liquid and dirt. Apply more towels if necessary. After spot has dried for a few days the stain may appear again. Repeat process until it is gonefor good. Stains migrate downward into the fibers and take a long time to get them up and out. windex is my friend.

RonM

Postby RonM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:08 am

zelph wrote:It seems the product is a good choice for water purification. That's the short version of what we read. One of the most powerful cleaners we have is water. Universal solvent. Water in it's purest form is corrosive. :o One of the best stain removers that I know of is windex. Spray it on the spot, let sit for 10 min, place 4-5 layers of "bounty" paper towels over the spot, press firmly on the towels with bottom of foot/shoe for 1-2 min to absorb liquid and dirt. Apply more towels if necessary. After spot has dried for a few days the stain may appear again. Repeat process until it is gonefor good. Stains migrate downward into the fibers and take a long time to get them up and out. windex is my friend.

Wow! that is good to know.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:21 am

That info about the windex came originally from the owner of a large industrial cleaning supply company in the Chicago area. He sold all kinds of cleaning products for carpet cleaning. He said the windex thing was his best/easiest way to pick up stains from carpeting. I used the method many times and it works the best for me. He did not sell windex :o go figure :mrgreen:

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”