37 crucial food items

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
zelph

37 crucial food items

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:12 pm

The numbeer 37 has been floating around the web so I had to search out a source that was not intimidating as the one that was on "the weather channel" :roll: I had to shut down my computer to get rid of the advertisement :roll:

This is what I came up with:

Critical Food Items you should stockpile
by Sonya Parga
37 Crucial food items that sell out first when disasters hit

Here is my list:
1. Water
2. Water
3. MREs for a month
4. #10 can freeze dried add water meals any combination of balance of proteins fats and carbos 6+ months worth
5. 72hour kit one at home and one at work.
6. Sun oven
7. Seeds
8. Materials to successfully start and grow seeds
9. Fuel (gas must rotate every month. It separates within three.
10. Led flashlights /candles

That’s a start.
What would you add?

Everyone should have a little put aside in case of an emergency. Emergency food is flying off the shelves. The odd thing is that emergency food is getting hard to buy because the government is buying millions of meals every month. Do they know something we don’t know? Obama signed an “Executive order 136003E, National Defense Resources Preparedness executive Order and it allows the government to take all of our food, trasportaion ect… and declare Martial Law. This law was signed into law in March of this year. Everyone should take a look at this law. It will scare you. How much freedom are we willing to give up?

Church has been telling us to have a years supply of Food Storage and monetary funds for over 40 years..

there are plenty of places online to help you stockpile what you need. Toilet paper, first aid stuff, soap/shampoo, booze, matches, candles, charcoal, clorox bleach….food items..canned goods, salt, vinegar, water, tang, ect…seeds!! Lots more, but these are a really good start. Oh and yes of course ammo.

Water..after a 7.5 earthquake ..we lost water for 10 days… Military and Red Cross took care of food and water..even Budweiser gave us water..bottled water in Budweiser cans

You’ need water, lemons or juice / limes – stock feed for animals,died veggies, dried meat, think of how you could serive with no power?turn your power off and see what its like ? So propane to cook on burner , and or for heat, how about duch ovens for cooking in a pit,char-coal/ and since you can’t store meat then you need chickens for meat and eggs, so I know this sounds gross but powder eggs,milk,and enough ammo , don’t depend on other people for your needs , cause you’ll get shot for theving

Get rice! It is a stple you can MIX with ANYTHING! Oatmeal, canned goods of all kind, Matches, Mre’s, SALT, sugar,AMMO, Beans, ect. Keep old coffee jars and any other glass jars you normally throw away! They will COME IN HANDY!

get white rice, it lasts years longer than brown. I keep all my spaghetti sauce jars and put beans or rice in them. Both cheap and easy to get. I put stike anywhere matches in jars too, keeps them dry.

When stockpiling foods, dry beans is a good bet. I’ve eaten beans that are over 10 years old, and they are a good staple. Millions of people exist almost solely on rice. Dried corn stores for years. Beans +corn+rice = a balanced meal. Stockpile SEEDS. Quick-growing seeds, like lettuces and beans for bean sprouts. Do some research here. How about jars and lids and a good home canner? Jars can be used for at least a decade, over and over again. You only need a few “rings” for the top and a BUNCH of “flats”. LEARN to use the canner. It’s simple, your ancestors did it, and most things can be canned at home.

How about powdered milk, bar soap, tylenol, water, TP, canned everything, pork & beans, tuna is GREAT PROTEIN source…

Vinegar! Buy lots of vinegar! And bleach for disinfectant. Salt and sugar are both preservatives. Jars and many, many lids for canning and SEEDS. (Canning jars can be used for years and years and years. I’m still using some from 1976. Lids have to be new every time, unless you can find some of those reusable ones online.) SALT! You need Iodized salt, and non-iodized salt. You need iiodine in your diet, but for canning, it must be without iodine.

Soap. Bar soap lasts for a LONG time, and you can make laundry detergent out of it. You might need to learn to make lye soap like Grandma. Barrels, for collecting rainwater, tools for gardening. Gas, if you are able. You need a means to cook, propane, or wood stove. A wood stove also works for heating purposes, as propane has to be replenished. WATER, water, water. Find a way to purify your own water and a water source.

Candles and candle wicking. You can reuse candle wax, but need new wicks. They’re cheap and small and easier to store than candles.

YOu need to learn to conserve foods. Grandma used to can apples and applesauce, and, when she peeled the apples, she used the peelings to make jelly. Nothing was wasted.

If you want to know what things to stock up on, buy the things you eat and use daily. Buy a water filter, a good one, and stockpile toilet paper, soap, things you use all the time. Make a list of your eating habits for two weeks. That will tell you the things you need to put up. Don’t forget flour, yeast, honey and cooking oils. We’ve been prepping for 4 years and it is now a homestead, not just a prep. Also, make sure your gas tank is never more than half empty. If you have an alternative cooking method to electricity, make sure you have fuel put back…propane, wood, whatever

Vodca, olive oil, Tony Cachere’s seasoning, bag of rice, butter, vodca, toilet paper,,,,what else?

vodka, JackDaniels, few jars of peanut butter and tons of water???

I’m lucky to have beans and toilet paper.

I have beer n jd and chip n salsa and bullets. I’m set.

Emergency essentials. Get a backpack for each family member to survive for 3 days. That’s the minimum. Start there and add on.

I keep a stash of food, Water (Phoenix AZ) and 3 tool sets around for emergencies like that. Water, gas can be turned off in 30 seconds in emergencies, but takes 2 different sizes.

You might think this is crazy but, there is one item that you should have that has been totally forgotten about: citizen’s band radios. In the 70′s our beloved FCC attempt to keep track of all the radios out there and failed miserably! With the advent of pagers and cell phones; this technology all but disappeared. But, on any given night, I can still communicate with my neighbors and even be heard via “skip” all over the globe. There is NOT ENOUGH personel available to monitor transmissions – wasn’t back then and won’t be in the future. When the FCC locks down the internet and cell coverage – you will remember what I told you. I was around in the 70′s… nothing has changed but our reliance on technology for expediency sake. Just saying…

37 food items? Thats to much. In all liklihood it will be a bug out situation, and cant carry that much. Need the following–1. Water/filter/bottle. 2. Dry beans, rice, peas, lentils, veggies, meat, nuts, dried fruit. 3. Flour 4. Salt 5. Sugar 6. Mess kit 7. Cook source. 8. Pack and mule to carry it all. OR learn what wild foods are and how to use/find them. For tools– multi tool, 2 knives, rope/paracord, duct tape, plasic sheet, fire liting kit (flint n steel), first aid kit, fish line, hooks, sinkers. Needles n thread. Weapons– bow n arrows, slingshot, 22 cal rifle/pistol– cheap, lethal, quiet, light weight (can carry 1000 rds ammo in coat pockets). Use gun as last resort as noise gives away location. Have items hidden in secure storage caches at various points you can get to as needed. Travel light as possible. Much more to it, but this is basics

Stockpiling lead is a good call…as is a sufficient amount of food and water to get where you need to go. I’m within 40 miles of one place, 150 miles of another, and 600 miles of a third location where we could stay indefinitely with food, water, and a decent measure of isolation.

main staple 45 lbs home made beef jerky, and venicin jerky…, rice beans and water so far !!!

dark chocolate, water, mixed nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits and vegies………………

Hersey bars, M&M’s, Snickers, Baby Ruth’s, Chocolate Covered Cherries, and Twizlers should be at the top of the list.

Tip, stock up on water, canned goods, fire making material and batteries for whatever equipment you have that use batteries. Make a plan with the rest of your family for where everyone should meet up if phone/internet service is lost. Search survival tips on the internet and print them out. Don’t wait to do this when there is no power or internet. Duh!

You could also call this “The Top 100 Things You should start stocking up on.” Even if you don’t need more than 2 (you should always have 2 of everything) each item on this list will be great for bartering. This list was discussed and chosen by the members of SurvivalistBoards.com. No Particular Order.

1. Generators
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood.
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps, Lanterns
6. Camp Stove Fuel – Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice – Beans – Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid
13. Water Containers
14. Mini Heater head (Without this item, propane won’t heat a room.)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
17. Survival Guide Book.
18. Lantern Mantles
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Propane Cookstoves
22. Vitamins
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder
24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
25. Thermal underwear / Polypropylene
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
31. Milk – Powdered & Condensed
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers
34. Coleman’s Pump Repair Kit
35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First aid kits
38. Batteries
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests
45. Workboots, belts, jeans & durable shirts
46. Flashlights, Lightsticks, torches, Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks
48. Garbage cans Plastic
49. Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash, floss
50. Cast iron cookware
51. Fishing supplies/tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
55. Candles
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
61. Bleach
62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles…Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
73. Shaving supplies
74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Boy Scout Handbook
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
78. “Survival-in-a-Can”
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
80. Reading glasses
81. Window Insulation Kit
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable mattress’s
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
91. Teas
92. Coffee
93. Cigarettes
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin wax
96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
100. Goats/chickens

Remember that what you stock up on you need to eat as well. It’s called rotating and keeps canned foods from spoiling!

What’s Missing?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: 37 crucial food items

Postby realityguy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:03 am

My wife's family had a country store out by Makaha on Oahu..believe me she knows how to stockpile! :lol: They used to walk the 100' up the the store and get what they needed.That "mentality" fills every cabinet in this house.. :o Armageddon could hit and we'd be the last ones with toilet paper... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 am

2 gallon olive oil and a cotton mop head to make lamps also can make a olive oil stove wick type
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:05 am

101:an assortment of plastic bags...for putting 100 items into and storing them... 8-)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Oops is right on about the olive oil. It's such a nice multi purpose item.

Water! you need to have it thought out where your water will come from in an emergency. I'm not on city water. I have a drilled well and a driven point well. I have a hand pump ready to be attached to the driven point well if need be. Do you have the means to purify large quantities of water?

Wood pellets are nice to have on hand for a wood burning stove. During an Ice Storm of long duration it will be dificult to get dry wood to use. Store shelves will be bare in short order.

Kerosene stores well, stock up on that for fuel. 55gal drums of it ;) (at least a 30 gal. drum)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”