VIDEO: Lost!

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
Arson

VIDEO: Lost!

Postby Arson » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:17 pm

I got lost on a day hike. The trail I was following ran out and I realized I had gotten onto a game trail. It was a minor setback to an otherwise lovely walk.

No matter your skill level, when you find yourself in the woods alone and you don't know where you are....... it helps you find out what your made of real fast.

Ridgerunner

Re: VIDEO: Lost!

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Looked like an eight point buck. The tree damage from the beavers looks just like the back of my property. They will take on any size tree. Glad you found your way and had an enjoyable hike.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:25 am

Glad you found your way back but was saddened to see you left your camera on the log as you walked away. :mrgreen: 8-)

2 years ago I left my camera on a bench in a state park. came back 1/2 hour later and it had vanished :o :( never to return :cry:

Was good to be out with the animals :D and sunshine.

Great video coverage of your ordeal, thanks for sharing your time away in beaver land. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:01 am

I think beaver need to keep their teeth from getting too long, and so, will chew on anything available, whether or not, they need it for their construction projects.

They were probably inside their beaver houses.

It is a good video: there are game trails almost everywhere south of Glacier National Park, MT of Montana CDT.

If you want to hike it, you need trail and route-finding skills.

Most hikers "hike" or hitch-hike the highway, skipping that portion of the CDT.

Inside the park, the animals use the trails.

I have walked up on moose and grizzly bear.

Two hikers, I saw at the ranger shack at Many Glacier, were frightened, having seen a huge wolverine barrelling down an open-country part of a trail at a full run. Even grizzly bears get out of the way of a wolverine. Of course, it was a great priviledge to see a wolverine.

It is necessary, to retreat and step off the trail, if you can, and let them have "right of way" of course.

It is also necessary, to talk to yourself, if no one else, or sing or be noisy, so not to surprise the wild animals.

The wild animals around here do not like surprises.

I think you handled that situation very well.

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:41 am

I hate that feeling when it first dawns on you that you are lost. I could make the same video but leave the camera on a stump. You would see me several times as I pass by the same spot :mrgreen: .

I always wandered too much and never on trails. My camera was my worst enemy. There is always another angle to shoot from or a different vantage point to try. It doesn't take long to get turned around when your attention is focused (npi) on something other than your location. The most important thing I learned was to take a compass reading back to my point of entry before I got too far in. The other was letting someone know my plans. You seem very comfortable in the woods. The only problem with that is the people who know you might not think anything is wrong if you don't return on time. They have too much confidence in you. If they know your schedule, they know when to worry.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:39 pm

The sun is my friend when it comes to directions. even if it's cloudy I can get directions by light intensity coming through the clouds.

Helps to know the area where you'll be hiking prior to going. Maps are to be read, looked at etc.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”