And the winds blew!!!!

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
zelph

And the winds blew!!!!

Postby zelph » Mon May 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Joplin, MO did not fare well :(

We did ok. We came under a tornado warning, watched out the windows for a few min, saw some ominous clouds, started to rain and blow, wind increased to 70 mph in a straight line pattern, we headed to the basement, storm passed, no damage to the house but a downed tree got my car.

No touchdown occured in our area, hundreds of tree downed all over the city. Nature sure knows how to cull out the weak trees.

Had to get out from under the mess so I could cover the window. I had my camping gear in the back seat ready to go so I could take off this coming Thursday. Huh!!!!! best laid plans etc. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Car Damage 029.jpg
Car Damage 026.jpg
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hplar

Re: And the winds blew!!!!

Postby hplar » Mon May 23, 2011 8:27 pm

You fared far better than others, zelph... Consider yourself lucky...

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Good thing you weren't in the car. Did you know that was coming?

We're getting some of it tonight. First wave over and second is due in a few. We usually get the watered down version of the storms here in NW PA. Lots of lightning but we missed the high winds so far.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 23, 2011 8:43 pm

Wow..lucky guy..free firewood! :roll:

:lol:

Okay..I know it's not funny..but just keep looking on the bright side!Weren't you ru8nning low? Does your insurance cover it?
I can make a lot of ukes outta that!
I can't tell..what kind of tree is it?(willow?)...Appears you'll be doing a lot of woodstove testing this fall... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 23, 2011 9:03 pm

We are truly lucky, for sure!!!!!

For the last 2 years I parked my 32ft camper on that side of the garage under the 2 trees. The spot is shaded all during the summer. I switched to the front side of my green house. If the tree had fallen on the camper, it would have pushed the roof to the floor and then some. Would have totaled it.

I have a video of the ominous clouds coming in from the west. I thought for sure I was going to see a funnel cloud form :shock:

My wife and I called and called for our cat to come out of hiding so we could take her with us into the basement..............she never came out :roll: The tornado sirens were going off so that may have sent into hiding.

We didn't see any swirling wind paterns so we remained on the first floor. When the rain and wind were horizontal we made for the basement.

I've been in many storms where the winds and rain go every which way. This was the first one that had horizontal winds at 70 mph :o scary!!!!!

Yes, I'll have plenty of fire wood for next year. The tree is a "green ash" very dense hardwood, very clean burning wood.

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Did you lose a limb or the whole tree? Couldn't tell from the pics.
You didn't waste much time cutting it up.
70mph isn't that a cat 1 hurricane?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Is the car okay? The rear window is one thing, but will the roof pop back out? Of course, you will have to get the shards of glass out of the interior. Is there more damage, not showing?

The cats may be distressed for awhile. Hugs help.

Horizontal wind, rain, debris?

Are you in Montana? ;)

I was near a tornado, once, near Detroit, Michigan. It became eerily silent, no sound at all. The sky was black. Then, we saw houses, only two to four blocks distant, blown to bits carried up in updrafts.

We had just gotten out of the car. We were in a huge parking lot of Northland.

There was no ditch, no cover. So we stood there. Then, it was over.

It just stopped.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue May 24, 2011 8:25 am

Wow. Glad you're okay. Take care buddy and good luck on the cleaning up. Hope everyone else stays safe up there.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 24, 2011 9:50 am

Ash should make some good uke necks..so when are you starting one? :roll:.. ;) I've refinished some ash furniture, looks a lot like oak and has been used in a lot of furniture from down Tennessee way and around those parts.You can make a nice hammock stand for the sunroom!
You didn't answer..does the insurance cover it?..Hopefully..
The cat..probably sensed what was coming well before you did..and headed for cover early.Friskies will make her friendly again and she'll soon forget the incident.
Someone just drowned again,trying to save their dog who jumped in a swirling river..dog swam to safety.The girlfriend was a bit hypothermic but lived... :roll: Animals are great survivors and dogs are great swimmers.Cats are familiar with good cover and usually will get there early..Lesson to be learned. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 24, 2011 4:56 pm

I lost half a tree. The other half needs to come down also, has a hole in the middle(horizontal) of it where the internal rotting had started, which weakend it to a point of splitting.

My homeowners ins. will cover repair or maybe it will be determing not fixable due to age and mileage :roll: That was fun car :D

My cat is back to normal, so are we, glad to be alive, thanks for the well wishes. I won't watch tv today, too much of Joplin, MO ......sad, very sad. :(

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”