And the winds blew!!!!

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
zelph

Re: And the winds blew!!!!

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:07 pm

And they blew again 2 days ago and split another tree. I was watching the storm from my back door and the one tree was swinging and swaying and all of sudden: tiiiimmmbber I watched it fall onto my garage and green house :roll: It was exciting, watching nature do it's tree pruning in a big way.

Been cutting at it to releive some pressure off the wall od the greenhouse. Now I have to wait for the tree service guy to come and cut down the other half.

Wish I could say I've just been lounging around and making something. I do have a cool stove idea I'm tossing around in my mind. I've been doing outside work. Having my car windows fixed etc. The board is slow, everyone is out doing their thing.

Simplpeddlers's son is becoming a "stovie" and a great cook down there in Louisiana. Jambalaya country.

A friend of mine from Canada sent me some Musk Ox jerky. Who woulda thought the Musk Ox would be used. I suppose all lean, large animals could be used.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Sorry to hear about your tree....again :roll: Was there any damage to your garage or greenhouse? The last storm caught my sister-in-law on the road home when the hail hit so hard that all traffic on the highway had to stop. Her SUV looked like someone had took a ballpeen hammer to the entire car.....amazing. :(
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:05 am

Just a small amout of damage to one corner of the garage roof and some to a turbine ventilator on my greenhouse.

I saw a few cars out west in Wyoming that had huge dimples made by hail. Looked like they were made by the end of a baseball bat. :o

I have the tree guy coming today to remove the entire tree. That north side of my garage is going to look very naked without my 2 trees :( :(

Good news........My wife and I are going camping for 3 days now that the weather has cooled down from the high 90's to the low 70's.

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Do you have any trees left? You must be in some kind of weather pattern to get hit twice in such a short period of time. Glad to hear no real harm done.

Have fun camping. I just got back from a scout weekend (I stayed in the camper). They were lucky with the weather. Forecast was for storms but there was no rain until last evening.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:37 pm

We had a pleasant 3 days out. No skeeters and the weather was perfect. Cool nights made for excellent sleeping.

I've been doing lots of yard work since I got back. todays weather was excellent for it.

The two trees on the north side of the garage will be gone by the time everything is said and done. It's going to take a while to get used to not seeing those big trees and being able to park under them for their shade. :(

I have more trees around the house. They fared well through the storms, luckily :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Is there enough trunk left to make a totem pole? ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Is there enough trunk left to make a totem polea toilet-paper-holding bear? ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:01 pm

Yes there is, about 15 feet still standing. I had to clear it's base of breenhouse glass so the tree guy can get close enough to do the base cut. What's the name of the Northwest tribe that has the beautiful totems as part of their culture?

This photo is from the second storm. The tree is still on my garage waiting for me to get the time to do some cutting. :o
Attachments
Car Damage 057.jpg

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 pm

What's the name of the Northwest tribe that has the beautiful totems as part of their culture?

I think most of them did..but you maybe thinking of the indians out on the coast.There were tribes in BC and alaska had some large ones also..I'll have to check my totem book..

"best known carvers were the Kwakiutl,Haida,Nootkas,Tlingit,Tsimshian,and the Salish..Theory is that idea came from the arrival of tikis that had rotted off,fell in the ocean,and floated in from Polynesia.."Hey..that looks cool!Let's carve one for our tribe!" :shock:
:lol:

Have I done mine yet?..No..but it's on my DBID list...Why I bought the book!..Don't you have one? ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:09 pm

You can stand it right next to your teepee when you get it done :lol:

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”