And the winds blew!!!!

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
Ridgerunner

Re: And the winds blew!!!!

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue May 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Glad you and the Mrs. are well. That was your little gas mizer :( Hopefully the insurance co. doesn't total it out. It doesn't take much these days to total a used car. I have a buddy that repairs salvage titled vehicles and they keep right on going. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed May 25, 2011 10:44 am

If insurance totals it out, you are allowed to keep the vehicle. Most people don't know it.

The next insurance you get has to be a salvage title insurance. I think.

At any rate, my "gas mizer" has a salvage title. I was told the owner is allowed to keep it, except most owners allow the tow truck company to keep the vehicle. I purchased it from a third party, involved with the tow truck owner. He was selling for profit, without a car dealers license. He got in trouble. The DMV investigator explained all this to me. I was in the clear, making a complaint to the police the tow truck owner made a threat he would take the vehicle back and he knows where I live, but his name wasn't on the title. I had paid. He wasn't in the deal. It turned out the smog certificate and everything else was involved in the fraud. The police referred me to DMV investigator up in Santa Rosa, CA. The DMV investigator explained the police and the DMV had wanted to prosecute that tow truck owner. I wondered why the police thanked me for making a report!

It was a Craigslist listing. Never again.

Anyway, as an aside: I found out the owner of an insurance totaled vehicle can keep the vehicle.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Thank you for the info on Salvage title.

I looked on google and here is what it says

Salvage titleFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
In the United States, a salvage title is a form of vehicle title branding, which notes that the vehicle has been severely damaged and/or deemed a total loss by an insurance company that paid a claim on it. The criteria for determining when a salvage title is issued differ considerably by state. In a minority of states, regulations require a salvage title for stolen vehicles;[1] but, in others, it is issued only for losses due to damage. Under some circumstances, a salvage title denotation may be removed or replaced with a Rebuilt Salvage designation;[2] and cars imported to, or exported from, the United States may be issued a clean title regardless of history.

Because a salvage title can be issued to a vehicle with easy repairable problems or no damage whatsoever, the low cost of the salvaged motorcycle or car is appealing to some hobbyists and investors. Experts recommend caution when purchasing a salvaged vehicle, because there may be hidden damage,[3] which, if unrepairable, may legally render the vehicle a "pile of parts."[4]

Contents [hide]
1 Determination of salvage status
2 Resale value of vehicles with a salvage title
3 Vehicle history reports
4 References

[edit] Determination of salvage statusIn general, a vehicle is deemed "salvage" when the insurer determines that the repair or replacement cost is in excess of approximately 75% of its market value at the time of the accident or theft.[1][5] Thresholds range between 50% and 95% of the vehicle's value, while "total loss states" leave the specifics to the insurer. In the state of Michigan, the issuance of a salvage title does not mean that the vehicle is also deemed a total loss.[5] Michigan issues a salvage title when the damage equals 75-90% of the pre-damage value; if the loss is 91% or greater the vehicle is eligible only for a "scrap" title, which cannot be subsequently upgraded by any means.[6]

Upon paying the claim, the insurer may offer to return the vehicle to the owner as an insurance buy-back, in which case the owner is responsible for having the repairs made and having the car inspected by a State-designated facility. Depending on the state, this inspection may remove the salvage brand from the vehicle's title.[7] The exact percentage of value that triggers the decision to total the vehicle is guided by applicable laws and regulations. The damage estimate is calculated at retail repair rates, which may be more than the cost of wholesale repair. Vehicles that are not bought back are auctioned as salvage to an auto recycler or a rebuilder and given a salvage title.

[edit] Resale value of vehicles with a salvage titleVehicles which carry a salvage title may not be driven on public roads in some states,[8] which impacts resale value.[7] Rebranding of the title is not permitted without having an inspection to verify that they meet all safety standards.[9] The inspection procedure may be complex,[4] and attempts to illegally circumvent the inspections are periodically reported.[10]

Industry standards followed by the National Automobile Dealers Association Appraisal Guides, Kelley Blue Book Market Report Official Guide, and the International Society of Automotive Appraisers devalue a motor vehicle that has a salvage title. Kelley Blue Book automatically rates any salvage vehicle as "poor" and does not value it at all.[11]

Title washing refers to transferring a vehicle's registration for the express purpose of removing a title brand.[12] The practice is legal, and practiced by the insurance companies themselves,[13] Title brands such as "salvage," "junk," and "rebuilt" are not standardized, and a vehicle which has such a designation may receive a clean title when registered in a different jurisdiction. Further, vehicles imported to or exported from the United States and Canada are issued a clean title, even if they have been involved in an accident. Other states have relatively lax inspection criteria to remove the salvage brand.[2]
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed May 25, 2011 3:17 pm

I'd say it could be worth finding out about your state.

I would tell the insurer: you are not paying out "replacement cost". You have totaled it out because you have to pay retail repair rates. Let me have it and find out if the community college automotive repair program can do anything with the amount of money you have paid. Let you have the "salvage title". Be sure to tell them, you will have it inspected and licensed at DMV if repaired.

The inspections are by appointment at a designated DMV office. If your vehicle has only body damage and not mechanical damage (it appears so) the cost of retail repair is the determining factor for insurance. Take receipts or take these pictures or both. Explain the local school program instructor signed off on the body repair. I would think passing inspection would be easy.

I did have "hidden expense".

I put it right for "smog" because it runs better working properly. I also had front end damage costly to repair. However, I ordered the important parts and paid a licensed mechanic for one hour and 10 minutes time to install the part.

The "mechanic inspection" I had before the sale mechanic said one seal on the power steering was damaged, but if I didn't drive it hard thru the corners it would easily last 10 years or more, just have the oil and lube at 3,000 mile intervals, which is what is prescribed for an older vehicle.

The best part: because a "salvage title" vehicle has no Blue Book value, the insurance is cheap.

The bottom line: I paid $300 plus the mechanical parts and about one hour licensed mechanic labor.

I have a running 1991 Toyota Previa.

It is "buyer beware".

In your instance, you know everything about the vehicle!

I'd say some repairable body damage is not a reason to give up on the car.

If the trunk opens and closes properly, I'd say replace the rear window and have a high school or community college automotive body and repair program repair the roof, and maybe, install a new roof liner inside.

If you like, turn around and sell it with the "salvage title" to someone who wants "commute car".

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 25, 2011 7:41 pm

If they decide to "total" it, I will opt to keep it and repair it myself to a drivable condition. I had just spent 600 to replace brake lines and cylinders. The car runs great, that's why I invested in the repairs. I felt I could get 600 dollars worth out of for at least another year.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 25, 2011 8:07 pm

The flashlite that I took to the basement had dead batteries. A leason learned in being prepaired. This was the reason I made this thread in the Survival Forum. :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed May 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Fix the back window and push up the roof............Good gas mileage..lockable..not pretty= the perfect 'trailhead car"..No one will bother it!..I WISH I had one like that.. :lol: I sweat bullets every time I have to park at a beach trailhead overnight and crossing my fingers it'll all be there when I get back! I do have a backup CD/radio.If they steal that(newer ford van..2 screwdrivers and 30 seconds :roll: )...I'll slip in another.I don't leave anything in the car of any value.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 26, 2011 10:17 pm

The ins. co. said they will not fix. They'll give me 1,600 for it and I keep the car. I figure I can get both windows replaced for 500 and I'll push the roof back up. It's lockable and runs great. :D All is well!!!!!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 pm

That'll leave you some extra cash for future auto insurance payments.. ;) :lol: I reached a point with my second Astro AWD van(3/4 ton ford as my main car) of it being a "storage shed" and "spare tire" in case my other one goes bad for some reason.I refuse to insure two cars(well..three) when one doesn't get driven..which POs the insurance company big time since I quit the insurance and licensing. :lol:
If my main one goes bad,I'll license and insure the other ,clean the moss off it,and fire it up...and kill the insurance on the main car.
I used to have a van and truck..but I figured it cost me $50(licensing and insurance) every time I drove the truck just because I needed a truck "bed".I sold the truck and went out and bought a utility trailer instead..that costs me about $15-20 a year.Even that only gets licensed if I need it during the "year".Some years it doesn't even get licensed. :lol: Why pay money for nothing?
State Farm ticked us off years ago because they wouldn't insure the second home "while we were building it and it wasn't occupied"...Safeco would if we insured our main home with them..so SF lost the insurance easy $$ on both our homes.They've been crying ever since and still are..begging for us to insure our house with them again.I remind them that "they had the option on both houses, screwed up and ..It's staying insured elsewhere!" We've never had a homeowner's claim and only one auto claim for a stolen car(returned and half-assed fixed) about 20 years ago.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 26, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm in good hands with "Allstate" :D They own everything I have :lol: I've paid so much into my insurance and never had to file a claim. Perfect driving record and all has been well with my house.

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”