"survival challenge" anyone?

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
ConnieD

Re: "survival challenge" anyone?

Postby ConnieD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:07 am

oops56,

I am just trying to get people to "think differently" than the conquer the wilderness "survivalism" I see practically everywhere on TV in movies and online.

In southern Oregon and western Washington, for example, the logging roads are practically everywhere. It is highly unlikely anyone can "walk out" the logging roads, because there is a "maze" of old logging roads.

Midweek, you will not see anyone.

In fact, I actually rescued an "elderly" woman in southern Oregon who had "not been seen" for two weeks.

zelph,

garbage bag? I just can't get around the idea of a "garbage bag".

Would you curl up inside? I am 5'6" and I am too big for that.

Besides, have you slept in a plastic "tube tent"?

I tried it once, just to evaluate it as possible gear. It is a miserable experience.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:12 am

just one more thing cant keep choc bars in car summer and cant keep water in car winter guess i going to die :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:04 pm

"survival challenge" anyone? is asking people to think it through to come up with answers.

In winter, I know you can surely think of a way to get water.

That one Snickers bar, I mentioned: I know I can get through a Snickers bar melted, or, frozen!

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Ill voulunteer to be the guinea pig.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:08 pm

yay, my first volunteer!

Is there any chance of video or photos?!

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:33 pm

oops56 wrote:just one more thing cant keep choc bars in car summer and cant keep water in car winter guess i going to die :lol: :lol:

If I can't have my morning coffee I will die.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Connie..I think your idea for the survival pack forgot the bottle of wine and candlesticks for the table... :roll:

:lol:

Okay..mine has to include a cute maid that is good at firestarting and packing my stuff for me . :roll: .. :lol:

Okay..now that I have your attention... :roll: ..
Survival..but with some comfort..not freezing your ass off..in "3 seasons"(the fourth season I sure as hell wouldn't be out on logging roads with 10' drifts..would you?).
Connie can pack her OWN bag 15-20 miles...I won't carry all that...
Yes..logging roads go for miles around here..basically I'm packing a compass and know the basic direction I need to head out in and with some landmarks to keep a basic heading.
Someone(local!) recently up by my vacation home was lost for 3-4 days or so with his young 2 year old daughter..2 miles from a main road(and 5 the other direction)..got stuck on a logging road and decided to hack his way through the brush those two miles,going in circles,rather than walk the 6 miles down the road. :roll:
Most people in a "survival mode" aren't going to be out for two weeks so why would you want to pack that much with you?What are you going to leave in the car?
I'm assuming a couple space blankets(one over and one under or around a person)..or to help reflect some heat from a wood fire.The garbage bags are more for waterproofed "insulation"(leaves,etc.) someone could gather for more warmth.I don't think I'd do the SC rope hammock..That's got to be totally uncomfortable and cutting off circulation all over the place..unless you added some tree boughs or something for padding.I don't care to wake up more tired and aching than when I went to bed.
If we are talking 4 seasons and snowbound..a smart person is going to stay with the car or wouldn't be out there in the first place.All the extra crap for "shelter" would be a mute point other than a couple space blankets for when the heater isn't running in the car.
Yes..there is a big difference between survival mode in Georgia ...and Washington or Montana!Each person needs to ADD/SUBTRACT whatever is needed from a "basic" kit for HIS/HER area.
I think the best idea is to put together a BASIC ESSENTIAL kit..and let people go from there.
You notice I didn't include coffee and a coffee press..and that IS an essential for Washingtonians! :o

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:25 pm

zelph,

garbage bag? I just can't get around the idea of a "garbage bag".

Would you curl up inside? I am 5'6" and I am too big for that.

Besides, have you slept in a plastic "tube tent"?

I tried it once, just to evaluate it as possible gear. It is a miserable experience.
ConnieD

It's a piece of survival gear, not "camping"

Death is more uncomfortable in terms of surviving :oops: Just think of all the pleasures you'll miss out on. :o This thread is "survival challenge" :P

55 gal. bag too small, then get the large Christmass tree disposal bags or mattress protecting bags at your local U-Haul rental/packing place.

I'm gung-ho on Mountain House meals, 5 of those would do me just fine for 3 days. Granola chocolate chip bars in foil packaging will melt just fine and still taste good when it's time to lick the melted ships off the foil :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:28 pm

Death is more uncomfortable in terms of surviving Just think of all the pleasures you'll miss out on. This thread is "survival challenge Well Put. I wholeheartedly agree.

Are we talking about making a so-called "bug out bag"? (as they are referred to on the bushcraft site) I have read through a lot of those threads and there are folks who are making ones for carrying in their car and others have one made up in case of some kind of nuclear attack or disaster. I have a list of items in mind that I believe would be sufficient for survival if I there were a chance to assemble them before hand. If someone lives in an area with extreme conditions (desert, extreme snow) or that is very remote, It would be wise to make provisions for the possiblity of being stranded in a vehicle.

It seems that the reason that it is called "survival" and not "camping" is that rarely do people get to pick what they are going to have with them in a real survival scenario. Maybe the fact that I almost always carry my leatherman wave on my belt or drinking out of a firemug could help me out. :D
I find the scenarios interesting that Les Stroud comes up with for his adventures and would love to guest star :lol: It is also worthy of noting that when travels he spends time locals before he takes off to learn as much as he can about the flora/fauna.

I guess I am lucky that if I wanted to do some practice survival training we dont have any real restrictions against making shelters out of live materials ,very long small game seasons, and a lot of creeks. :geek:

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Weird and unexpected things happen on the trails, just ask RG. If he's gotten over the experience, which I hope he has, he'll give a quick overview of what happened last year. Not to him, someone else that was out for a hike.

Take a first aid class to start off your knowledge base. You'll be able to take care of your injuries if necessary. Always carry a sure fire means of making a fire to keep warm. Know how to build a shelter to get you through the night. Let someone know your itinerary, when you're going to be back home ;)

Connie said:

Let's pick one, pack it (virtually online) and guess at how comfortable, well-nourished and well-hydrated we could anticipate in a "survival" 3 nights and 4 days walk out to a paved road.
ConnieD

Basically a 72 hour kit, grab and run AKA bug-out Bag, is what would be needed. My wife and I have created a "Grab and Drag" :lol: we like comfort :lol: :lol:

Or you can go to the extreme:

There are millions of folks out there that think that the stuff is going to hit the fan. They need all the guns and ammo to kill off the folks that will try to steal their food. It's not going to happen!!!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”