"survival challenge" anyone?

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
ConnieD

"survival challenge" anyone?

Postby ConnieD » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:50 pm

This man has his pack packed for him and has his son set him out in the back country to spend the next three nights and walk out. He has survival gear his son packed for him.

...garbage bags, wet wood, ...roughing it, for sure. I would walk further to find a better campsite.

However, in a real survival situation, the choice of camp here or walk further would depend on the expenditure of energy and fast approaching nightfall. In the mountains, the sun can go behind a mountain at 3 PM and it gets cold. Where I live, a storm can come up fast.

These are considerations. It is my reason for having "ready shelter" right now.

His answer for "survival gear" as well as his methods and technique is interesting.

He offers critique.

What would you do differently?

Part 1

He gets dropped off for four days to hike out to the road.

Comment: He is cheered up by having some of his favorite gear.

The "familiar" is very comforting. Don't pretend it isn't. Helps avoid "defeatism" and panic.

Part 2

rained hard - no fishing:

He was counting on it.

Now, I know why so many "guys" like to carry 50' of paracord.

I haven't "lashed" a "table" or made "furniture" since I went to a summer camp for kids.

But there it is.

Comment: Have your gear organized for what you might need "after dark".

Part 3

I don't know why he doesn't use his poncho, at least for his "roof". He has clips.

...soak beans, first. During the entire day would be good.

I purchase "freeze-dried" beans for backpacking: this is why.

Instant grits or couscous and a part of a packet of flavoring left over from ramen (use 1/4 packet at a time) is lightweight.

Part 4

Here is honesty: he is tired.

Comment: He is doing too much work, with limited food, to make his bed and his shelter.

Part 5

"paracord rope poncho kinda guy"

rope: make a rope hammock, poncho: cover the hammock

Comment: "flimsy" garbage bags don't work for more than a day or two.

He has ramen: he is cheered up.

Comment: "comfort food" is a good idea for a survival situation.

I carry "comfort food" for my "extra food" if there is a problem.

He knows this area. Right after winter, nothing to eat.

He says, if you go out on a camping trip and you get bad weather, it is a survival situation.

This is reality "survival" for backpackers.

He says, practice with your gear.

He says, if you are not just a short hike from your car, it is a completely different reality.

You Tube provides for "video response".

How about it?

zelph

Re: "survival challenge" anyone?

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:43 pm

He gets dropped off for four days to hike out to the road.

Comment: He is cheered up by having some of his favorite gear.

He has all the right stuff. He'll survive :D

He has the beaver to keep him company :mrgreen: Should be able to trap it and have it for a couple of meals.

Now to view the second video.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:09 pm

I put this series of video up on the forum, because this man dealt with "the real issues" about survival.

He had his son pack his pack for him, Man vs. Wild style.

That said, he did really well.

I didn't start the thread to "criticize" this man.

I started this thread to have an informative "thread" here.

He has a GPS. He selects a route out to the road. But he crosses a swamp.

Does the GPS have a 7.5 minute series topographic map?

I would rather have a map and compass, or, have a close interval contour topographic map installed in the GPS. Newer GPS now have 3-D terrain map view.

No kidding, the "first exercize" I had in map and compass was don't pick a route back to the road thru the swamp. It is not only gritty wet socks, you might get quicksand, or, cotton mouth snakes (if in a poisonous snake region like that). For example, you might step in a hole and wrench your knee.

The fact is, there is "no way" I would have someone else pack my pack. I pack my pack.

I wouldn't take those particular gear choices, under any circumstances.

I do not have the same "solutions" for travel off-trail. I move fast-and-light.

If I had to "camp" there, I would make a fish weir, or, reach under the river bank to catch a fish by hand.

Are there 'gators or leeches in the water? Well, maybe, a only a fish weir and/or fish traps, then.

Maybe I should ask, would you let anyone else pack your pack?

Maybe I should ask, what would you have in your pack?
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:20 pm

I didn't think you were criticizing anything, just making observations.

I finally got through all the videos. Regardless of what he took or didn't take with him he looked exhausted at the end of the vacation.

He portrayed what it might be like to go without good shelter or good food for a few days. He made it very clear just how uncomfortable it could be even with a few supplies and some nice items in your pack.

I'm not sure I can relate to the survival culture although I like to learn as much as I can about any topic. My idea of survival situations the average person might face come down to car accidents where you might not be found for several days and ice storms or other events that knock out power for several weeks. These two are the most likely thing anyone will face unless they are in a place like New Orleans or they spend time in the outdoors alone (hiking, fishing, hunting, etc).

Hikers (I think) have the clear advantage. They might actually have some useful equipment in their vehicle when an accident occurs and will absolutely have helpful equipment in their homes.

Take his scenario and dump the boat. Now he has no gear except what's on his back or in his pocket, and a son to take care of. I think he would be fine in the long run, just more exhausted when he gets home. All the gear you own isn't much use if you don't have it with you.

I wonder if they have a waterproof SPOT watch for sale yet :). Making yourself easy to find seems like the real challenge.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:24 pm

He portrayed what it might be like to go without good shelter or good food for a few days. He made it very clear just how uncomfortable it could be even with a few supplies and some nice items in your pack.

waterproof SPOT (watch)?

I happen to know how few helicopter rescue is reasonable to expect, in the entire State of Montana.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:28 pm

It bothers me, a lot, that most people do not get out of their cars when driving thru Glacier National Park, for example. I would like people to know they do not need a machete or a big Jim Bowie knife.

I would like to see more people "empowered" to get out more.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:29 pm

No one "needs" military surplus gear.

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:54 pm

ConnieD wrote:No one "needs" military surplus gear.

I agree.

I think the whole thing got twisted in some way over time. If it was cheap then it was a way to get outdoor gear that the military deemed durable for a good price. But it's not cheap.

I remember when I was a kid I had to have a rambo style survival knife :). The only knife I carry when hunting is a $7.00 3inch k-mart knife I bought 30 years ago. It still does everything I need. I like a filet knife for fishing and my victorinox multi-tool. All are inexpensive and durable enough for the amount of use I give them. That said, I could not settle for anything less than my Sage fly rod for trout fishing (it was worth every penny once I gained enough experience at casting to feel the difference in control).

I like my homemade carbon steel knife for prepping firewood when camping (from the campervan) or a small axe. Both cheap but good enough for my level of use.

My hunting buddy has a very nice knife. It holds an edge for him all season. The difference is that he is out everyday during all seasons (big and small game) and he uses that knife constantly. My cheap knife could not hold up to that much use without a lot of re-sharpening.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:04 pm

When he sat in his lounge chair, his butt rested on the ground. You could tell the way it didn't stretch, going in and when getting out.His tarp cover was too short, condensation would have dripped on him. The tree tapered to be more narrow to allow full cover over him. A full rain would have drenched him. At least he tried.

The steaming rice thing was not believable. He goes through the motions but shows no evidence of success. I'm sure his son knows how much his dad eats and could have provided more.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Well..he coulda shortened the video by ten minutes by taking out the word "horrible"... :roll:
I think I would have dumped a couple knives/tools he didn't use and packed a tent and bag instead and saved some weight.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”