SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
Ridgerunner

Re: SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Cuz, I like theat caribiner. I lost a leatherman micra off my key caribiner ther other day at work. Somehow it slipped off when I was attaching it to my belt loop walking across the parking lot. Amazinly, a fellow meatcutter found it the next morning by the curb. Hard to believe nobody noticed it for 24 hours just laying there. I got lucky! :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Some things just don't lie right on a carabiner or fit crosswise easy on a carabiner through equipment straps on a pack..these eliminate that problem!I also like the idea I can have items stay on the carabiner..like a tinder carrier,magnesium..but I can slip the ferro stick or sparker off the "set" for separation..and not lose the rest of my "bear bell".. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:01 pm

I am not keen on having things bouncing around, or, making metallic noise on the trail.

I like to have small stuff on a key ring, a zipper pull, or, for example, one of those little button reels for small stuff on a flyfishermen vest. I would put it inside the front zip and the small stuff on the "leash" in an inside pocket.

In fact, my little combined compass thermometer wind-chill chart is on a zipper pull.

As it is, I rigorously try put the little kitchen stuff inside the cooking pot with the lid in place. The risk is always it gets mislaid is when I am using it. That is why I have the bright orange SPARK-LITE.

If I had an olive drab SPARK-LITE, I would want it on one of those little button reels made for flyfisherman, especially, with a swivel.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Right now the swivel only packs really nice in the kit. It's attached to the Spark-Lite.

I have to be out off town away from all my favorite stuff for 5 days. :(
Attachments
Spark-Lite Firestarter 004.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Tracer

Postby Tracer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 pm

I have a small firesteel tucked away just next to the spark-lite, just enough place there.
And i have now the sparklites in the metal version, with the screw originally so changing flints isn't a problem.

They are really great.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Tracer wrote:I have a small firesteel tucked away just next to the spark-lite, just enough place there.
And i have now the sparklites in the metal version, with the screw originally so changing flints isn't a problem.

They are really great.

Glad to have you here and appreciate your comment Tracer. :D

I agree about being great. The more I think about this kit, the more I like it. The kit I'm putting together is really going to be nice. It's going to have some extra parts. Some fringe benefits sorta. :mrgreen:

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:33 pm

I've been using the swivel clips to attach bails to my pots.

For your purposes I would recommend an eye screw similar to this:

The one shown are brass and may be easier to find than stainless.

Not sure how much room you have to play with, but being able to tie a lanyard on the end instead of out the side stream lines it quite a bit.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:34 pm

It might be better to use eyebolts that have a standard thread easier to tap to(10-32/10-24/8-32)depending on your diameter of the sparker.
Dan..try this thread--->
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ge ... lt-208302/ probably more what you need..
spade bolts.. ;)..like a small bolt with the top end shank smashed and drilled..Put them on a lanyard with a small split ring if the "lanyard" won't go through the eye portion..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:46 pm

If he used a forged rod end or a spade bolt, that would require the inside diameter be threaded.

He would still need clearance for the flint to be dropped in the end.

If the flint is replaced, the end holding the lanyard would have to be removed and replaced.

It seems to me, soft plastic is unsuitable unless the threads were sufficiently coarse.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Your ideas of eye bolts and spades have crossed my mind. I chose the swivel so it will pack flat in the plastic case. The swivel barely makes it into the pack as it is now. The stainless steel machine screw I use has a rubber washer attached to it from the manufacturer. It helps keep the sparker dry to an extent. There is a lot of thread on the screw also that will keep water from entering the flint loading end.

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”