SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
sudden

Re: SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Postby sudden » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:16 pm

I finally understand what you're doing :oops:

Maybe you don't have to worry so much about the swivel attachment.

If you're worried about fitting the striker into the case then you don't need to worry about attaching it to anything (you intend for it to be in the case).

If it's not part of the case kit, any attachment would work with the screw since length is not a big problem anymore.

Maybe a way to attach the small case is more important??

If you do need a connection point, maybe just offer the connection, not the clip.
I had the idea of a terminal connector with a short loop of fine wire crimped into it.
No good pictures of that but you probably get the idea from this image.
Just make a small loop of wire and crimp. They make the connectors really thin too.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:12 pm

If you're worried about fitting the striker into the case then you don't need to worry about attaching it to anything (you intend for it to be in the case).

If it's not part of the case kit, any attachment would work with the screw since length is not a big problem anymore.

Maybe a way to attach the small case is more important??

I was thinking on those terms also..that the item wasn't going to be in the case,but attached to a lanyard.I'm assuming the plastic is hard enough to hold threads for removal and replacement for changing flints.I don't know if I've ever seen or used a tap for a wood screw thread,but have used 8-32s,10-24s,and 10-32s..I'm assuming a 1/4"-20 would be way to large and the best size would be the diameter of one of the flint pieces.
If you are keeping it in the case,a connection point isn't necessary.

:?: ???
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:16 am

I see what he's saying. Why put a lanyard on the striker if it will be stored in the case?
If that is your intent, then I would make a lanyard that attatches to the case instead of the striker.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Options :D

I want to offer "options" You can keep the kit as is with a striker that has the ability to replace flint and attach a lanyard. In a survival situation it's nice to be able to attach a lanyard of some type. I will include enough Vaselene impregnated jute twine to make the lanyard. The lanyard will be "dual" purpose ;) . I will also include an acrylic signal mirror and a extra tinder tabs. I will also include the serated steel pieces that will fit easily into the plastic kit if they are wanted.

Survival stuff in one package. These are items that I would want in my kit. :D

I'll try to get the kit finalized tomorrow and posted to see what it looks like. Once it's listed I'll include a link to this thread so all these helpful hints can be seen and used.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Do you have any "bank" line?

Some people prefer it over paracord for shelter and camp type tie outs (fisherman would know of it, trot line?). It is impregnated with tar which makes me think fire starter right away. It might not light as well as the jute with vaselene but it is more dual purpose if you are thinking survival kit. If I can find some lying around I'll try to light it :)

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:34 pm

You could also put 1 "ranger band" around the outside of the case. The rubber makes a great fire starter and makes good black smoke for signal fires as well as creating a loop than can be used to strap your emergency kit to other items such as a knife sheath.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:55 pm

My survival kit will include a nice thick T-bone and a 24oz MacTarnahans... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 am

realityguy wrote:

My survival kit will include a nice thick T-bone and a 24oz MacTarnahans... :lol:

I'm guessing the steak and beer are not for your rescuers are they :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 pm

realityguy wrote:

When you depart this world you might as well do it in style :DB:

All the trot lines I've seen around here are just plain ole nylon.

Ranger Band? is that like a wrist band?

Bike tire tube would work, skinny racing type.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:22 pm

I think I've come to a conclusion.

These items I would like to have in my personal kit.

Waterproof Tinder (Dependable)

2 sources of sparks. The Spark-Lite and the small ferrocerium rod.

Single edge razor blade which will be my "steel" for making sparks with the rod. You can refer back to one of the videos that show me lighting cotton balls in this manner. Razor blade is multi-purpose.

Lanyard with Ferro Rod attached(3 foot length used). The Spark-Lite can also be attached to it via the brass swivel. Lanyard can also be used as tinder. (refer to video to see how easy it lights with a spark.

Small white container for the carry of a few strike anywhere matches and medications that might be helpful in a survival situation.

Survival Mirror.

The small plastic box contains the single edge razor, lanyard and ferro rod. It is wrapped with heavy duty black electrical tape. The tab of tape has a stainless steel washer imbedded in it to reinforce the hole that the nickle plated clip is attached to. The clip can be attached to the lanyard.

A heavy duty vinyl luggage ID case is used to contain 15 pieces of tinder, the Spark-Lite and the rigid acrylic signal mirror. The vinyl case is sealed with heavy duty electricians tape and has a tab extending over the edge for easy opening when necessary.

I don't think I've left anything out.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”