SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
zelph

SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:35 pm

I've tried a lot of techniques and a recent find has me convinced that it's the one I should have in my emergency kits. I have my little ferro rod on my key chain all the time and some magnesium shavings in my wallet 24/7 so I'm ok there. I furnish my kids with safety items now and then and will give them some of the new kits that I came upon and have tested.

The Fire Starter Aviation Survival "SPARK-LITE" Kit

They were originally designed for the U.S. Military.

The tinder is water resistant and lights easily.

The spark producer works easy with one hand.

I did a video of the kit today:

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Re: SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Postby sudden » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:47 pm

So did search and rescue find you ok :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:10 pm

sudden wrote:So did search and rescue find you ok :)

The smoke signal went up and the smoke towers near by received the signal. SAR will be here first thing in the morning :mrgreen:

My wife is away for a week and the video was made in the kitchen with the windows and door open :lol: When my wife is away I will play :o

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:49 pm

I figured the phone call was your local FD informing you that it looks like you had a pyromaniac on your property again... :o .

Okay..does that use standard flints?Do they give you a small screwdriver and extra flints?
The cotton is 'water resistant'?..Why not add some weber starter cube stuff that would fire up floating on a lake?

Yeah..there's gotta be one in every crowd... :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:03 pm

More than one. :D

I have never worn out a flint striker, but I suppose it could happen.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:14 pm

When the flint goes bad..would it be at home?...Nope... :cry: I've worn them out of zippos..all at the wrong time..Disposable lighters run out of fuel before the flint goes bad...but you could continue "sparking" one of those,even without fuel. ;) Would they work with the tinder?...probably...
I imagine with it being used as an emergency use only item ,you wouldn't have a flint problem..I just wondered what it had in there..small standard pieces?..more than one? ..a screw hollow fill shaft at the back end?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:59 am

realityguy wrote:I figured the phone call was your local FD informing you that it looks like you had a pyromaniac on your property again... :o .

Okay..does that use standard flints?Do they give you a small screwdriver and extra flints?
The cotton is 'water resistant'?..Why not add some weber starter cube stuff that would fire up floating on a lake?

Yeah..there's gotta be one in every crowd... :roll:

Not standard flint. Life expectancy double the standard lighter flint.

I'm going to list the Spark-Lite in my stove store tomorrow. I'm going to offer them with the ability to replace the flint once it's worn out. I'll see if I can throw in an additional feature or two. You know me, can't leave things well enough alone :roll:

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:23 am

zelph wrote:I'm going to list the Spark-Lite in my stove store tomorrow. I'm going to offer them with the ability to replace the flint once it's worn out. I'll see if I can throw in an additional feature or two. You know me, can't leave things well enough alone :roll:

I know what you mean, my Jack Stove Cook set has evolved a lot over the last few weeks. So much that I now have to re-shoot all of the pictures and videos before I go live with my web site.

I just keep coming up with better methods, materials and accessories.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:30 am

I like the spark-lite. It does look very lightweight and compact. I wonder what the tinder is made from? It looks pretty easy to "fluff-up"

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:55 am

Plumbers use a striker also that I've worn the flints out of but don't recall if those were the normal size or larger flints.I was more interested if it was a removable/replaceable type or a one shot deal(when it's gone it's dead..if someone wants to use one a LOT)..sounds like you can replace it and carry a spare in the container if needed.I haven't seen a good picture of that portion.. :roll:

(hint.. :mrgreen: )

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”