Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
MissMontana

Re: At-home cooking

Postby MissMontana » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Sound so tasty and delicious, I agree!

churro

Postby churro » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Dinner was really good tonight. I took about a cup of black beans, about 2 cups of rice (both leftovers) and mixed it with 1 lb of hot Italian sausage, about a tbsp of fish sauce, some fresh ginger, chopped cashews, minced garlic, 1 egg, a handful of breadcrumbs (left on the counter after I made and sliced bread) and chopped spinach. I packed this into a bread pan, covered it with some ketchup, brown sugar and more bread crumbs and baked it about an hour at 375 (175 degrees F in the center). It had a kind of asian flavor and was delicious. I served it alongside some baked spaghetti squash which proved to be a perfect pairing for it. I've never been a huge fan of meatloaf, but this has me rethinking that. Great way to use up leftovers- just dice it up and in it goes.

The cats kept trying to get up on the table to have some. I'm guessing the fish sauce got them interested.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Fish sauce will do that every time to cats :mrgreen: It's like vino to a wino :o

The ketchup and fish sauce sounds neutralizing.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

churro

Postby churro » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:15 pm

I got a nice muley buck. Any good recipe suggestions?

I scouted carefully and managed to pick out a respectable 4x4, not so old as to be tough and gamey, but old enought to be pretty big. I had been watching him for several months- he spent most of his time in a lush field of mixed alfalfa and grass, which seems to have further cut down the gaminess. I got him with a clean shot through the heart and lungs, gutted and skinned him quickly and had the meat in the freezer within 24 hours (I am not one who hangs my venison before butchering- just my preference). I have been really pleased with the quality of the meat and wanted to try some new recipes. Thanks!

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Glad you got one and are now ready to consume. :D

Ridgerunner is the one that has good recipes for deer. Let's hope he's watching/reading. :D

I've been doing so many varied things down here in Mississippi makes my head spin. This is turning out to be a great vacation time. :o There are different hunting laws down here, quotas are up in numbers. This state has "open carry" laws and so almost everyone has a piece on their person ready to hunt :lol:

In the cooking forum there are marinating recipes for venison.

DonnaShor

Postby DonnaShor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:06 pm

Escarole and Radicchio Salad with Clementines, Walnuts and Blue Cheese

INGREDIENTS:

approx. 6 - 8 cups rough chopped escarole

approx. 1 - 2 cups thinly chopped radicchio

approx. 6 clementines, peeled and segmented

approx. 1 cup walnut halves and pieces (see procedure)

approx. 1/3 cup dried cranberries

1/3 - 1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves (optional but good)

2 - 3 Tbs orange juice

2 - 3 Tbs red wine vinegar

1/4 - 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

black pepper to taste

crumbled blue cheese as needed for garnish

PROCEDURE:

For more optional depth of flavor, add 2 - 3 tsp of olive oil to a heavy bottomed pan and toast a handful of walnut halves and pieces for a minute or two and then season them with a little salt to taste and take them out of the pan to cool.

Add as much rough chopped escarole as you like to a large mixing bowl and add a much smaller handful of thinly sliced radicchio, add as many clementine orange segments as you like, add as many fresh Italian parsley leaves as you like, if you're using them, add a small handful of dried cranberries and add the toasted walnuts.

Use another small mixing bowl to combine 2 - 3 Tbs of orange juice with 2 - 3 Tbs of red wine vinegar and 1/4 - 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, add a good crack of black pepper and whisk it up.

Then add that to the escarole and radicchio and toss everything to combine.

Serve the salad up on individual plates with crumbled blue cheese over the top.

HINTS:

Depending on the size of the salad you may need more or less salad dressing than this recipe calls for.

Try using sliced apples instead of clementines and substituting apple cider for the orange juice and apple cider vinegar for the red wine vinegar.
Reputation is often got without merit and lost without fault.hulle6

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:18 pm

Thank you Donna, that sounds like an award winning recipe :D

Black walnuts came to mind when you said to roast some walnuts....wonder how they would taste roasted! Nice sharp flavor ;)

ooooh, love blue cheese ;)

karek

Postby karek » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:27 pm

Thank you all. Very useful

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Hey Churro, have you eaten all that venison by now? What's up???? how the ranch coming along?

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”