Happy Holidays!

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
steamjam

Happy Holidays!

Postby steamjam » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:47 pm

For Xmas, The battery in my Bug finally fell through the rusty floor of my bug.. For New Years, (today and tomorrow) I'm installing a new floor! While I'm at it, a new passenger Q panel!

zelph

Re: Happy Holidays!

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:48 pm

How long have you had the bug?

Use exterior grade plywood sealed with polyurethane. Use self taping stainless steel screws. You'll have it done in a jiffy :mrgreen:

Throw a shag rug over it and nobody will know the difference. :P

Wish I woulda kept my 67 mustang :( Always wanted a 64 Corvair :D

Happy New Year!!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:13 pm

zelph wrote:How long have you had the bug?

Use exterior grade plywood sealed with polyurethane. Use self taping stainless steel screws. You'll have it done in a jiffy :mrgreen:

Throw a shag rug over it and nobody will know the difference. :P

Wish I woulda kept my 67 mustang :( Always wanted a 64 Corvair :D

Happy New Year!!!!!!

Corvairs are nice cars if you remove the engine, and install something sensible.... .. :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:41 am

Both cars are air cooled right? Both have rear engines. The bug looks buggy, the corvair looks cool. :mrgreen: and has more room in the back seat 8-)

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:49 am

zelph wrote:Both cars are air cooled right? Both have rear engines. The bug looks buggy, the corvair looks cool. :mrgreen: and has more room in the back seat 8-)

Yep they are both air cooled from the factory. My Bug is headed into water cooling tho.
This is whats sitting on my engine stand just waiting for the bug to be done.. :) 100HP with a weber..

Been thinking about having a second car... A corvair would be cool... But only a 60-64 4 door sedan.. I have enough 1967 Bug ruby red paint to cover three cars.. Hmmmm I wonder how well a Corvair would respond to a Chevy 2.8L V6 swap?

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:06 am

You put that big bugger in there and it and it won't be street legal :lol:

The 4 door corvair has lots of room for modification :D

If I recall, the corvair has a gasoline fired heater. I'll have to do some searching for a heater on ebay. :mrgreen:

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:33 am

zelph wrote:You put that big bugger in there and it and it won't be street legal :lol:
The 4 door corvair has lots of room for modification :D
If I recall, the corvair has a gasoline fired heater. I'll have to do some searching for a heater on ebay. :mrgreen:

Nah. That toyota is only a 1.6L and weighs only 50lbs more then the original air cooled VW. It will be a smooth-ish running engine that will last for 300,000 miles if not more.

Oh yeah! Those gas heaters! My Bug has the same issue with cab heat as corvairs do. My solution was to install a 4000 watt 110v invertor and use a 1500watt mini room heater. Warms everything up in seconds.

Yeah, I'm thinking a corvair with a 2.8L V6 to keep it easy, or Subaru SVX engine to get ultimate reliability and longevity.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:33 pm

Old Vws..I had(Years ago) a 57 van,58 van,59van,67 squareback(spray canned dark blue with lots of bondo.. :lol: ..what do you want for $150!),and a hopped up '63 bug..Old hawaiian surfer dudes had to have the vans..high power 36 and 40 hp. :o .but they got you to the local surf spots and cheap on that high priced Hawaiian 50 cents a gallon gas!.The 57 with 36hp I drove up here from Los Angeles and back(1971),drafting behind semis as long as I could to maintain closer to the 65mph speed limits..until they left me back to my 55mph or so and another one came along to get behind.The Grapevine and Siskiyous were killers at 30 miles an hour.
Driving mostly at night,I avoided the heat of the day and avoided most of the traffic also.I headed over to San Francisco and up the coast,off of I-5 and the boring farmlands and going through exciting towns like Fresno and Turlock :roll: .Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and heading up that way was a lot more interesting.One night about 1am,after lighting another doobie :roll: ,I was rolling through the redwoods,rounded a turn,and came head-on into a spilled pallet of several 5 gallon open cans of contact cement.I got to experience the sheer joy of a 57 VW bus going sideways at 50mph.. :shock:.After coming to a stop,I was still shaking for quite a while after that.Fortunately the van had cut-out wheelwells and G60 tires that stuck out some,about 8" wide tred..which probably kept it from rolling..beside the slime on the road.I continued heading north and finally found a good rest area to spend the rest of the night.The next morning,I crawled out of the sleeping bag,went outside and discovered the glue had been slung clear up the sides of the van and all over its nice Earl Scheib baby blue paint job. :evil: Peeling the glue took the clear coat off with it. :cry:
Weed,CA...With a name like that I figured it had to be a town fully of hippies and wonderful people. :roll: I stopped in the only cafe there at 6am,walked in to find 3 old farts with dirty looks(yes I had long hair) and had a wonderful breakfast at the other end of the L counter of burnt bacon,burnt,toast,and even burnt eggs.Needless to say..I didn't spend much time there. :roll:
I Can See Clearly Now..was the hit of the day..and played about once every hour. :roll: The song made more sense when I hit a thunderstorm in Oregon and I could see clearly that no one had ever had that old "L-A" van in rain before with the windshield rubber leaking a huge waterfall over the dashboard,driving down the road.A dry-out the next morning and two tubes of silicone over the rubber seal and I was okay and on my way again.
The rest of the trip wasn't too eventful..but I did run into a cutie waitress at the cafe in Port Orford..long blonde hair and wearing several silver bracelets,rings on each wrist,hand. :shock: It turned out she had moved there with her surfer dude boyfriend Dewey Weber..or one of those old famous guys that rode the big boards back then.She was friendly and said I should come by and spend some days with them.Tempting.. :roll: Oh well,Washington is waiting..hit the road again. :roll:
I stuck around Washington for about a week of parties with old friends,got really sick with some crud from the wet and cold and sleeping on floors or in the van,and bee-lined it back to LA sicker than a dog..stopping every 300-400 miles to change the smoking oil.I crawled over the Grapevine one more time,driving all night,still really sick, and got stuck in morning rush hour traffic on the Hollywood freeway..just wanting OFF!Fortunately,one of my old girlfriend's parents were out of town,so she nursed me back to health.I found another friend that needed a housemate,and a job doing technical drawing for Boeing parts catalogs.I built up a 63 bug I bought with the engine in the back seat(My roomy was a VW mechanic...scat cam,2 barrel holley,1500 jugs,new coil,power pulley,exhaust,etc..etc..Torque..torque..torque..fast..fast..fast!)and then sold the van.I lasted about 6 more months in LA before I got sick of the place and headed back to Hawaii,shipping the VW bug.
That bug eventually got sold after getting stolen twice in Hawaii.It was sold to a police captain for his son's 16th birthday with those big G60 tires on the back(off the old bus) and small Michellin radials on the front..actually pretty dangerous with the radials on the front and regular tires on the back(grip-and-slip).I told the captain his son needed to change the tires out before driving it..he assured me "he would because he had just gotten a job at a service station".While I was on a trip to Washington again,my mother called and informed me that my bug was in the local newspaper..upside down on a windy windward side road.The kid had been street racing and rolled it in front of an oncoming car,killing him and his friend. :(
That was the end of my Volkswagen era..Mentions of bugs bring back the memories..
Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:08 pm

My first bug was an orange '61 I bought off my HS auto shop for 75 bux. It was a ripe mess. Full of rust and bondo. I remember making a floor patch out of an old "G.I. Joe" metal lunch pail for it, and my G/F at the time made me seat covers, the passenger one that said "Dung" and the driver side said "Beetle".

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:09 pm

For New Years, (today and tomorrow) I'm installing a new floor! While I'm at it, a new passenger Q panel!

Did you geterdone? Looking brand new? :mrgreen:

That was the end of my Volkswagen era..Mentions of bugs bring back the memories..
Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!

Glad you made it away from that era alive :P

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”