Hurry Up and Slow Down

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
JesterJosev

Hurry Up and Slow Down

Postby JesterJosev » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:11 am

The race is on. All three of us are hastily putting up our individual tents. This practice starts with a scrambled gleaning of the camp site, keeping in mind a haphazard number of conditions such as level ground, presence of roots, and optimal visibility of the lake/campfire. I heave my backpack to the ground to stake a claim, and start pawing through little bags of tent kit such as poles, ground sheet, and stakes. As our shelters start to take form competitive thoughts start to melt into my consciousness, “hmm the first one to get the tent up is clearly most skilled” and “If I get most of the tent up fast then I can surprise them and act all cool while they try to catch up”. I look around me to see how far the other tents are in completion, and find that they are almost entirely set up. I double my efforts. Finally my tent looks acceptable, now it’s time to furnish the temporary home. I gingerly approach the tent for fear of getting dirt and needles inside, I know these efforts are futile, unroll the sleeping pad and quilt. “There” I think to myself “alright that looks cozy, let’s see what the others are up to.” At this point the reality of the situation has sunk in, and that galloping façade of tent construction bears fruit in the form of boredom and restlessness. Who’s up for a granola bar?
Edit: as an exercise in writing, and in camping part of this is made up, sorry for any lies.
Last edited by JesterJosev on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zelph

Re: Hurry Up and Slow Down

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:45 pm

So, you were the first to complete your home?

Then what came next, first to complete an evening meal?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:20 pm

First to complete an evening meal sounds disgusting. I can imagine it now. You thought the tent production was skelter, you haven't seen anything yet. It wasn't so much the preparation that was the issue. Sure people were moving around like busy bees, screaming madly, shoving and kicking over peoples "precious cans of hot dinner water", but this was only the beginning. The deplorable acts that ensued flash back into my memory as a surreal dream. As one would finish cooking his or her meal they would immediately dive head first into their 600ml Foster cans as if their lives depended on it. The $20 dollar titanium spoons were immediately discarded in favor of a more direct method. Handfuls of steaming Idaho Gold were smeared into the general area of their mouths. Thoughts of carefully heating and then pressing a Parisian cup of joe were abandoned, as others the campers ravenously tore the grounds from their packages and swallowed them directly. In an attempt to get an edge one desperate camper started snapping people’s marshmallow sticks. Thanks heavens that we didn’t get the chance to make smores that evening.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:47 pm

:lol: :DB: :lol:

You should think seriously about publishing a Weekly Outdoor Story blog. I like the way you compose and can relate to human behavior. I'd be the first to look forwad to viewing/reading it.

Handfuls of steaming Idaho Gold were smeared into the general area of their mouths. Thoughts of carefully heating and then pressing a Parisian cup of joe were abandoned, as others the campers ravenously tore the grounds from their packages and swallowed them directly.

That will keep me smiling for the rest of the day :D

"and as they chewed their chocolate covered coffee beans in haste to tear apart etc, etc. :D

Hurry up and then Kaboom!!! Time to re-think H u r r y :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Boys being boys as they throw caution to the wind ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:45 am

Mister Scoutmaster on the left front corner..You're fired! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 pm

everyone learned a lesson that day :lol:

ferry7

Postby ferry7 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:54 am

Nice title that made me visit the forum! :)

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”