Frogs frogs and more frogs

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
zelph

Frogs frogs and more frogs

Postby zelph » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:36 pm

I have the opportunity to catch a lot of frogs here at camp Frog Haven :D

In years past I have sauted frog legs in butter with a sprinkle of minced garlic. Once out of the pan I lightly salt and pepper them and then they are history. :dinner: :hungry:

What is your favorite way to prepare them? Share your recipe please and thank you :D

This video was made today. I spent about an hour teasing frogs all around the edge of a small pond. Many times I had 3 frogs competing for the plastic morsel. This video shows 4 competing for the gold :mrgreen:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Frogs frogs and more frogs

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:21 am

I dip them in egg & milk and then coat them with cracker meal. Salt and pepper to taste and fry them in butter. I have become very fond of Andy's Red fish coating and will have to give that a try. If we have a big mess of them, we might deep fry them in oil in a propane turkey/fish cooker :DP: makes me hungry thinking about it even at this hour :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:56 am

We went on a very popular high lake hike yesterday and some guys were using chicken for bait for catching trout about 8" long..I told them trail mix should work pretty well there..
PETA'S -f department called and wanted your name and phone number... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:12 pm

PETA'S -f department called and wanted your name and phone number...

I'll provide little wooden crutches so they can get back to the pond. I'm cool 8-)

RR's got good recipes :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Yesterday in the evening there was a large amount of frogs that came out of the pond and onto the gravel roads and asphalt driveway and parking lot. Several got run over and one I had to dispatch because it's leg had been run over and was slowly draging itself across the parking lot :(
I caught a big one and put it in a 5 gallon bucket to save for the next day for when I hoped to catch a bucket full. In the morning the bucket was empty, the frog made a clean getaway :DP: It popped the loose lid.....born freee!!!! :mrgreen:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:42 pm

go and tell her you going to have frog legs i dare you :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:08 pm

oops56 wrote:go and tell her you going to have frog legs i dare you :lol: :lol:

She knows I'm going to have them :o but!!!! she wants nothing to do with them. :shock: I told her that means more for me :mrgreen:

In my early teen years I had been fishing for bluegills and saw a frog nearby so I tried to catch it with my hook and worm that I was using. It was hard to keep the worm dangling in front of the frog so I moved my bobber down close to the hook. That made it a lot easier to keep the line steady for the worm/hook to dangle more accurately. To my surprise, the frog jumped up and over the worm to get the large bobber. It caught the bobber and was not able to let go of it. I had to pull it out of its mouth. Later in years I had to try it again to see if I could reproduce the results. It worked again!!!!!! You need to have the right sized bobber.

If I wanted to catch them with a hook, I would use a "popper" the size for panfish. google panfish popper

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Frogs on an ultralight flyrod might be fun.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:46 am

When I was a young lad, my grandpa use to take me to a local golf course for some evening bass fishing on their large lake and a few smaller ponds on the course. We used mostly surface lures such as hula poppers, jitterbugs, and Tiny Torpedos. There were always some nice bullfrogs in the Lilly pad areas. He schooled me on swinging the lure out a dropping it just in front of the frog. Give it a little wiggle and the frogs would pounce on the lure. ;) Taste like chicken! :DB:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 pm

I used hula poppers exclusively for surface fishing bass. My favorite way to catch a fish, on the surface. :D

Sneaking up on frogs is not easy. In past years I used a 12 foot fiberglass extending pole to reach them in the lily pads from a boat.

I checed the pond yesterday evening right after sundown and only a few small frogs had come up onto the grass. I did not stay out to catch any. :o

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”