Building a ukulele..My first..

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
realityguy

Re: Building a ukulele..My first..

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 pm

That's a "FLUKE" brand ukulele..looks like a boat paddle with a carbon fiber curved back(google fluke ukulele).A lot of people buy those for lessons or "first" ukuleles,mostly in concert and tenor sizes
Ukuleles come in 4 sizes determined by the "scale"(distance from the saddle and nut or the two points the strings rest upon).
soprano 12-14",generally 13 to 13-1/2"(most of your "souvenir" ukuleles are sopranos..and most are not serious instruments.)
concert 14-16",generally 15"(more for learning and professional playing)
tenor 16-18",generally 17"(more for learning and professional playing)
baritone 18"-20",generally 19-19-1/2" (people that know guitar chords,generally will buy a baritone because of the chord patterns are closer to guitar ones.
Yes..they do make bass ukuleles,6 string,8 string,taropatch,and other odd balls.I make ukulins(like mandolin bodies) and ukujos(like wood banjo bodies).The sound tones get deeper with size but they can be varied by the body shape,depth,type of wood, and volume(meaning cubic inch volume) also..etc,etc..Lots of things vary the tone.

The neck is usually about 1-3/8 to 1-9/16" standard width at the top end(nut)..across the stings vary from about 1-1/4"(across the 4 or 8) to 1-7/16" by brand.whoever makes it.The narrower span makes it easier to play chords that require holding down two strings side by side in a space between the frets,bear in mind that mandolins have very narrow necks for picking..
Sopranos,concerts,and tenors generally are tuned to GCEA today(G on top,A on the bottom) but used to have different tuning years ago..GCEA is more standard now as most of the music is written for that tuning.Baritones tune to the four top strings of a guitar..but require different playing of the chords.An easier,newer alternative is to buy GCEA strings for baritones and use the normal chord patterns that smaller ukuleles use.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:02 am

thanks for the info :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Believe me..I've done my fair share of experimenting..and they ALL sound different in some way(my home brews)... :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 am

Now you have to make one with hair on it to see what sound it makes.............."the call of the wild" 8-)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 pm

I've got Po'poki for that.. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:29 am

Hey! this guy is good. Featured on "Sunday Morning"

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 pm

During our worst winter storm last year Jake was playing locally when the roads were covered with thick ice and snow with a lot of the people that paid for tickets unable to get there due to the ridiculous road conditions,worst day in years.Jake wouldn't cancel his show,reschedule,or refund tickets..only "people could donate their tickets for resale(and his profit) to others that could make it".
The last time he was in town I had a chance to go for free with a friend that had gotten a lot of tickets for the show through connections.."No thanks!"...but I wouldn't have minded seeing Leo Kottke who played at the same show...A friend that went said Leo Kottke was worth seeing.. ;)
I'll continue to pass on Jake's performances..I live within 5 miles of where he played and I wouldn't have chanced it even with chains on...

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 pm

He's in it for the money :roll:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:38 am

I'd say so..but there could have been a rescheduling problem also..Apparently the place had empty seats so I guess I'm not alone in my feelings about it.He's playing here again in a week or so..still .."No thanks.."...I'll pass...
His playing?Yeah..he's good..but he's been playing since he was 5... :o

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:42 am

See there, you should have started when you were 5. There would be 2 major manufactures on the island. :D

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”