i agree with you guys on the isopropal. black smoke, black soot, black smell.
but i've burned literally gallons of Methyl Hydrate, in the house, without any ventilation, with no side affects whatsoever. i also burned a gallon of racecar methanol under the same conditions with no side affects. i've been storm-bound and had to cook in my tent with M/H in my Trangia 27. again; no side affects. i wonder what the difference is between what i'm burning and what you are?
I have been trying to do some research in to toxicity of fumes from different alcohols, I have not found a lot yet but I have a friend who is a University Professor in Chemistry and he pointed out to me that we have enzymes in our body that can process Ethanol (some races like our indigenous Aborigines do not have these enzymes) and it is why we can drink a reasonable amount of beer or wine with no side effects, but we do not have the enzymes to process Methanol that is why it is highly toxic to us, when I asked him about the fumes he said the same applies.
We are all different, some people can be exposed to asbestos for many years with out getting cancer, and some can get cancer being exposed only once.
I feel that we as a group of stove building enthusiasts should be very careful about saying that it is OK to use Methanol in an enclosed space. Comments like “I have used in a tent for many years and it has no side effect on me” should be said with caution this might only mean that you have more tolerance to it, somebody else might not.
BTW the cure for Methanol poisoning is to drink Ethanol.