Using HEET for testing

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
Mags

Re: Using HEET for testing

Post by Mags » Fri May 30, 2008 12:24 am

Doggone/GA wrote:I've seen this suggested before, but I won't do it. I prefer to use denatured alcohol even though it's not as consistent. It's cheaper, it's available in larger quantities and it's much more likely to be used by hikers.

It is cheaper and available in large quantities. But I think HEET is use more often by alcohol users, esp. when resupplying.
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

Tony

Post by Tony » Fri May 30, 2008 5:30 pm

i agree with you guys on the isopropal. black smoke, black soot, black smell.
but i've burned literally gallons of Methyl Hydrate, in the house, without any ventilation, with no side affects whatsoever. i also burned a gallon of racecar methanol under the same conditions with no side affects. i've been storm-bound and had to cook in my tent with M/H in my Trangia 27. again; no side affects. i wonder what the difference is between what i'm burning and what you are?
I have been trying to do some research in to toxicity of fumes from different alcohols, I have not found a lot yet but I have a friend who is a University Professor in Chemistry and he pointed out to me that we have enzymes in our body that can process Ethanol (some races like our indigenous Aborigines do not have these enzymes) and it is why we can drink a reasonable amount of beer or wine with no side effects, but we do not have the enzymes to process Methanol that is why it is highly toxic to us, when I asked him about the fumes he said the same applies.

We are all different, some people can be exposed to asbestos for many years with out getting cancer, and some can get cancer being exposed only once.

I feel that we as a group of stove building enthusiasts should be very careful about saying that it is OK to use Methanol in an enclosed space. Comments like “I have used in a tent for many years and it has no side effect on me” should be said with caution this might only mean that you have more tolerance to it, somebody else might not.

BTW the cure for Methanol poisoning is to drink Ethanol.

Tony

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Fri May 30, 2008 6:28 pm

I noticed, when visting my son's high school, that they use ethanol in the chemistry lab. I wonder if they consider it more safe in terms of air toxins. I live in Washington state which has strict alcohol regulations. You can only buy hard spirirts from state run liquer stores. You can not buy high proof/grade ethanol (no Everclear here) without a permit. Permits are only issued to laboraties for testing, not intended for human consumption. However, last year when I drove through South Dakota, I saw it for sale in the general store portion of a truck stop. Go figure. Of source, ethanol is not cheap.

I don't like isoproyl because of the soot and fumes. Heet is readily available, but I prefer to use denatured since is it cheaper and available in metal gallon containers. No plastic to scrap. I can test my stoves side-by-side from the same batch pretty easily to see how they compare.

If you intend to have a competition, perhaps you could setup a test lab and have contestants ship stoves to the testor for side by side testing. That way, you could test stoves from the same batch of alcohol. The test lab could rotate from home to home in order to supprot fair play if need be. It'd be cheaper to ship a small stove internationally than it would to ship fuel and it wouldn't have to be tagged as hazardous.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri May 30, 2008 6:49 pm

I got this idea in a dream!!!!

Not really :P

I did give this alot of thought today. What say we do our stove testing with DN and when we get a stove to burn on 1/2 ounce and get a boil. Once the stove is determined to be usable(2 cups on 1/2 ounce of fuel.) Once the stove is finalized and ready to post the stats an additional burn using HEET would be made and the results noted and included in the resulting report. I think I know what I said :lol: :lol:

I agree that HEET is way to expensive to do alot of testing like some of us do. I'm on my 9th gallon(I think :P )

There are some very valid points made that it's availabe at resupply points along the major trails. Those that use use it may not be stove makers and would be well informed to know how a stove performs on HEET when they need to make a decission on making a stove purchase.

I'm away from home at a remote computer and not able to respond quickly :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Post by oops56 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:19 pm

zelph wrote:I got this idea in a dream!!!!

Not really :P

I did give this alot of thought today. What say we do our stove testing with DN and when we get a stove to burn on 1/2 ounce and get a boil. Once the stove is determined to be usable(2 cups on 1/2 ounce of fuel.) Once the stove is finalized and ready to post the stats an additional burn using HEET would be made and the results noted and included in the resulting report. I think I know what I said :lol: :lol:

I agree that HEET is way to expensive to do alot of testing like some of us do. I'm on my 9th gallon(I think :P )

There are some very valid points made that it's availabe at resupply points along the major trails. Those that use use it may not be stove makers and would be well informed to know how a stove performs on HEET when they need to make a decission on making a stove purchase.

I'm away from home at a remote computer and not able to respond quickly :D
good idea but this time of year cost more in gas just to find some.
Man play with fire man get burnt

oops56

Post by oops56 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:58 pm

Denatured Vs heet
Coming tonight later on this channel the test i well measurer ever thing etc.
I made this stove last night it works so good so this is the tester its not pressurize it got a snake wick in it kettle sits on top it could be a June stove we see. Back later on test stay tuned.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:36 pm

that looks like a very cool stove Oops!! what is it made from? silver tea-cup?
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Post by oops56 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:04 pm

DarenN wrote:that looks like a very cool stove Oops!! what is it made from? silver tea-cup?
Just a air fesher can alum. test is done be back in a min.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:17 pm

Test is done this a little short on boil but heet has a better flame patten

Dn alcohol 15 mls and 1 ml for prime at 5.48 206F at 6.33 208f and flame out [16 mls total on both ]
Heet 15 mls and 1ml for prime at 5.48 201F at 6.18 203F flame out

This new stove a little shot on boil but 3/4 oz. be better or windscreen for me its ok

update this morning tried it again water temp 65f 1/2 oz. dn alcohol half a wind screen rolling boil 4. min.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:04 pm

oops56 wrote:Test is done this a little short on boil but heet has a better flame patten

Dn alcohol 15 mls and 1 ml for prime at 5.48 206F at 6.33 208f and flame out [16 mls total on both ]
Heet 15 mls and 1ml for prime at 5.48 201F at 6.18 203F flame out

This new stove a little shot on boil but 3/4 oz. be better or windscreen for me its ok

update this morning tried it again water temp 65f 1/2 oz. dn alcohol half a wind screen rolling boil 4. min.
The results are the same for both fuels, within a few seconds and degrees. That was not expected.

The stove is on the order of a supercat right?

Just today I saw HEET on sale 50 percent off end of season clearance at a tollway plaza here in Illinois.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/